2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen an Everton player down tools like he did on Saturday for a long time. His last 20 minutes of action were a kin joke. He was walking around, being barged off the ball, slipping over, etc. Awful attitude and I hope Frank has taken note of this. Not the first time this season he's been completely anonymous in a game. There are plenty of 20/21 year olds in the league who are showing it's possible to perform consistently well week in, week out, so Gordon isn't a special case who needs to be 'managed' or 'given time to adapt'. He's into his second full season now and should be as fit as he'll ever be in his entire life.

Interesting take mate.

Wed disagree there i thought he was very good Vs Palace. Very impactful and would disagree on the role of tracking back and supporting Coleman, i thought both did really well supporting each other in running that side. Id be happy enough if he posted that performance every week. Its an interesting point on his fitness though, lads have made it in the past, i thought he addressed it last season, but you could be right, maybe its an issue, athleticism i think is something that doesnt come naturally for him, say the way it does for Iwobi.

Its an interesting point on drifting and the tolerance we should or shouldn't have wit it, i dont disagree with you, Onana and Gordon can drift - you can see the potential there in both of them, though both the same age and have developmental needs.

The dilemma is do you build and put your faith in young players or do you hand say Delph and Gylfi a new contract.

We've gone a different way, backed the two boys and backed ourselves to develop them. Do they have to play every game? Im not sure how else we develop them and build their experience. Pragmatically the squad cant cover the loss, with Gordon anyway, unless he gets a breather, but hes started 12 of our 14 games and scored 3, hes our top scorer, so its a big call to take him out and for who.

Its a funny one, we say young players need time out of the team, but then our solution is to play another young player in Garner, im not being facetious about the suggestion and mins will come for him, but hes in the same developing player bracket as Onana and Gordon. Everyone want to sign and develop young players, but no one wants to play them when they are developing. Thats the thing with the debate, different levels of tolerance, instant success vs developmental incremental building.

I suppose, im thinking that the philosophy we have committed to is to play and develop these young lads, give them the experience knowing they will have boom and bust performances, but back ourselves to ultimately develop them to a point where they can be consistent week in week out...its an interesting dilemma - we haven't had any philosophy for a long, long time, so its stick or twist really. We have competing needs of wanting young players and wanting to develop them as a club, on the opposite side we have the pressure of results.

Id say loads on here will have different opinions, on whats best for the club based on either side of those competing needs.

Personally id like to see us persevere and develop them, even if you have to swallow the odd drifted out performance.
Yes it is a dilemma because at the moment we don’t have the squad to rest and move them around but some do need a break, maybe sacrifice a winger and use another player in a midfield position, use McNeil and Stan Mills more in those position.
I think we did right in letting Delph and Sigurdsson go and bringing in Onana and Garner in midfield,the former two too much of a risk to prove the team while the latter two can improve the squad and improve the club’s finances if they get really successful.

Hopefully the squad will be further improved in January with better players coming in and others at the end of their Everton careers moved out with maybe some cash coming in for those moving out and their wages off the bill.

Haven't seen an Everton player down tools like he did on Saturday for a long time. His last 20 minutes of action were a kin joke. He was walking around, being barged off the ball, slipping over, etc. Awful attitude and I hope Frank has taken note of this. Not the first time this season he's been completely anonymous in a game. There are plenty of 20/21 year olds in the league who are showing it's possible to perform consistently well week in, week out, so Gordon isn't a special case who needs to be 'managed' or 'given time to adapt'. He's into his second full season now and should be as fit as he'll ever be in his entire life.

You cant have watched us long mate, as I can think of hundreds of examples of players not running as much as Gordon.

He is not fit enough (which is a concern) and he seems to go into his shell. But christ, the idea he downs tools like some I've seen is not the case at all.

The reality is, the league is not full of 20-21 year olds tearing it up. It's a hard league for them to do so. That consideration has to be factored in.

Status
Not open for further replies.