Match Thread Everton v Leicester City - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
But he's added more! McNeil and Maupay are both here for the next four years lol Couldn't make it up.
Whilst the McNeil and Maupay transfers were the two I was distinctly unsure of during the summer, consider the following:

A. McNeil is young enough that if he doesn't make it here we can sell him to a club like Norwich or WBA and get 75% of the money back.

B. Maupay wasn't all that expensive - I know we have to watch every penny - less than half the price of Tosun, for instance. We needed a backup striker in order to not endure any more Rondon.

Yes, in hindsight we would have been better off to pool the £32m we spent on these two and used it to get a genuine threat who can play wide and central across the front three, but half the clubs in Europe are after the same thing and that makes it harder to achieve. Remember how many clubs were linked with Martin Terrier before Rennes renewed his contract!

Provided we stay up comfortably this season, the main achievement will be trimming the wage bill (as we have) for a continued length of time and gradually improving the club's finances. Once on a more stable financial footing we begin to transition younger players into areas where we're getting older (central defence and defensive midfield) in order to get experience ALONGSIDE Coady and/or Tarkowski, or alongside Gana, to ensure continuity. Whilst that carries on, we add a young, pacy threat out wide and start looking for our next CF.

Our problems can't all be fixed in two seasons. Lampard and Thelwell have made solid progress so far but as the lad sat next to me said around 80 mins: "We have sixteen players to choose from when everyone is fit. Most other Prem clubs have twenty-three or twenty-four." This is the consequence of poor transfer activity stretching as far back as Martinez, and we don't have the option of just spending our way out of the mire.

I gave it to Mykolenko ,the only one who didn't make a show of himself ,there are so many not playing well it is a wonder we diidn't get thrashed .We pass it around at the back and the passes get poorer and poorer until we give it away .I don't understand the thinking ,if it is to "get the feel of the ball"then it must be bloody hot as they don't want it .We are back to making the easy back pass as much as possible and I thought Frank was better than that .
We need a striker because no one plays a decent ball to Maupay and he looks as if he doesn't care ,knowing he is an absolute second choice to DCL .

If Iwobi and Dom had taken their chances, it could have been a different game, however Leicester were up for it yesterday and were much better than us.
That's what annoyed me most. Their intensity was far better than us and I dont accept that.

Yes we should have taken at least 1 of those chances, but they wanted every second ball more than us.

Whilst the McNeil and Maupay transfers were the two I was distinctly unsure of during the summer, consider the following:

A. McNeil is young enough that if he doesn't make it here we can sell him to a club like Norwich or WBA and get 75% of the money back.

B. Maupay wasn't all that expensive - I know we have to watch every penny - less than half the price of Tosun, for instance. We needed a backup striker in order to not endure any more Rondon.

Yes, in hindsight we would have been better off to pool the £32m we spent on these two and used it to get a genuine threat who can play wide and central across the front three, but half the clubs in Europe are after the same thing and that makes it harder to achieve. Remember how many clubs were linked with Martin Terrier before Rennes renewed his contract!

Provided we stay up comfortably this season, the main achievement will be trimming the wage bill (as we have) for a continued length of time and gradually improving the club's finances. Once on a more stable financial footing we begin to transition younger players into areas where we're getting older (central defence and defensive midfield) in order to get experience ALONGSIDE Coady and/or Tarkowski, or alongside Gana, to ensure continuity. Whilst that carries on, we add a young, pacy threat out wide and start looking for our next CF.

Our problems can't all be fixed in two seasons. Lampard and Thelwell have made solid progress so far but as the lad sat next to me said around 80 mins: "We have sixteen players to choose from when everyone is fit. Most other Prem clubs have twenty-three or twenty-four." This is the consequence of poor transfer activity stretching as far back as Martinez, and we don't have the option of just spending our way out of the mire.
Adding more average players to an average squad just shows the rebuild

That's what annoyed me most. Their intensity was far better than us and I dont accept that.

Yes we should have taken at least 1 of those chances, but they wanted every second ball more than us.
I mentioned it last night, but we couldn’t equal the tempo and intensity that they played at, which caused us to make numerous mistakes on the ball.

To an extent, I was encouraged (at times) by what we were attempting to do with the ball although the tempo led us to make numerous mistakes.

We’re still a work in progress: we showed against Palace what we’re able to do, but we can’t do it when the other team are matching us.

Adding more average players to an average squad just shows the rebuild
Absolutely. I don't believe Maupay, for instance, was our preferred target - I reckon Thelwell was aiming higher and the selling club in question wouldn't play ball. We aren't always going to get every player we enquire about.

But gambling more modest fees and targeting younger players is a reasonable approach in our financial situation. A balance has to be struck. McNeil may yet turn a corner (for the record, I doubt it) and become a valuable first team player, because he's got a bit of time to develop. Problem is we as a club aren't on the same schedule as him.

I mentioned it last night, but we couldn’t equal the tempo and intensity that they played at, which caused us to make numerous mistakes on the ball.

To an extent, I was encouraged (at times) by what we were attempting to do with the ball although the tempo led us to make numerous mistakes.

We’re still a work in progress: we showed against Palace what we’re able to do, but we can’t do it when the other team are matching us.
Agreed.

At least three times I saw us try to recreate the second goal against Palace. The pattern of passing in the buildup was identical but each time the return pass to Iwobi went astray.

Agreed.

At least three times I saw us try to recreate the second goal against Palace. The pattern of passing in the buildup was identical but each time the return pass to Iwobi went astray.
On a few occasions, Gana had the ball and had the chance to make a pass, yet the attempt went astray and our chance to attack broke down.

He ain't a great passer anyway, but I think the tempo expected simply caused him to make mistakes. The same with Tarkowski, Gray, Onana... catch my drift.

Part of me feels like we should have attempted to shackle Leicester and slow the tempo down, although I don't think the fans would have tolerated it.

Perhaps, rightly so. Additionally, we had a few chances late on where we did slow it down and Leicester were able to break the play down, so you know...

I think Maupay could have played another ten games yesterday, and he'd have probably not got an oppertunity to score.

Yes totally agree, patience and crossing of fingers is required for a few seasons. Beggers belief how much money has been spent to get to where we are. Hopefully Frank has a strategy!

Today was a total shambles. A seriously seriously painful watch, and Perfectly summed up by Dom's run. God, it felt like about 2hrs had passed before any other player even got anywhere near him or at least there area to be an outlet for him. Eventually he lets rip with a 'beautifully' scuffed shot. Teams really must shake in there boots at the thought of us catching them on the break ?

( How do we go from palace to this )
We’ve been this bad in 5 of the last 6 games! The mystery for me is how we played so well against Palace!

Really getting fed up with our attack. It’s pitiful, I can’t remember the last time we looked like scoring. Yes the defence is more solid but that won’t win us any games. Really dire stuff going forwards

No offence @FOXINPEACE as you seem like one of the good guys but dear me them away fans I had to sit by yesterday
1. Singing feed the scousers in early November
2. The utterly outdated , pathetic and boring you’re shut arrrr after goal kicks
3. Singing the National anthem.

Status
Not open for further replies.