2022/23 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the nonsense about him not being interested in playing is shut out now because it was a load of guff. The lad has had terrible injuries and it's very difficult to come back as an individual, let alone to do so in a dysfunctional side that doesn't know what they're doing. Tactically the game yesterday suited him perfectly and he was doing what he did best in the season Ancelotti had with him. The goals will come if he stays fit as he was getting into the right areas and causing a nuisance in the right places. He is a ~15 goals a season striker if he stays fit, that's really the only issue with him and I really hope he manages to maintain it.

Did the job perfectly, I'm sure Dyche knew what he was doing there and Maupay was following instructions, disrupted the gunners and put them off the task in hand.
It would have been foolhardy to throw Simms on with so much at stake though I do think he'll have a role to play soon.
I think he did well and he’s a pest but we look a different side without the focal point upfront . The main reason I was surprised we didn’t bring someone in because without DCL that’s a whole lot of pressure on simms especially when he’s not gone to him Saturday .

I think he did well and he’s a pest but we look a different side without the focal point upfront . The main reason I was surprised we didn’t bring someone in because without Dominic Calvert-Lewin that’s a whole lot of pressure on simms especially when he’s not gone to him Saturday .
Yes, without a target man, we can’t get up the pitch.

That’s the stark reality of it. It doesn’t matter if DCL isn’t scoring, he plays that role really well and it’s absolutely critical to how we play.

Maupay is not capable of that role, and without his wind-up antics, he’d have been useless on Saturday. But those antics are only useful when we’ve given ourselves a platform of a lead to defend - and I don’t see how we get that with Maupay upfront by himself.

Hopefully this injury talk is just mind games before the derby. Nobody can be this frail
They said after the game he'd had a tight hamstring and when he came off he was asking why have they brought him off so I don't think DCL felt any further problems during the game. The only worry is any reaction the following day. Hopefully he's getting somewhere near full fitness which I think you could see with his performance.

Yes, without a target man, we can’t get up the pitch.

That’s the stark reality of it. It doesn’t matter if Dominic Calvert-Lewin isn’t scoring, he plays that role really well and it’s absolutely critical to how we play.

Plays the role really well? Does he? Since when?

He looked better on Saturday, so did the whole team but he needs needs replacing in the summer as a priority

He's not gonna swing a cross in for McNeil or Iwobi to smash home with a towering header, so I really hope he's told to stay in his position and not move out wide like he was doing against Arsenal, even though he played well.

We won it off a set piece and without that we didn't test Ramsdale as far as I can remember. And draws are unlikely to keep us up thanks to the position we find ourselves in.

I'd like him to win the ball and get it immediately to Gray/McNeil/Iwobi or Onana - the players that are most likely to be closest to him - then get ready to attack the penalty area centrally.

We literally missed 3 sitters in the first half what are you on about?

I think they are minding him.

He was not injured on Saturday. Tightness, as mentioned, is common for someone coming back from lengthy injuries and who is not 100% fit.

Thing is he’s not just coming back is he. He’s been playing regularly since New Year’s Eve, he should be fit by now. It doesn’t take players two months to work their way back up to fitness.

We literally missed 3 sitters in the first half what are you on about?
We always miss sitters, that's why we barely score. Missing sitters = not testing the goalkeeper. That needs to change doesn't it? Which saves did Ramsdale make that you wouldn't expect any goalkeeper in the world to make? In fact, did he even make any half decent saves at all in the entire game?

Status
Not open for further replies.