Is this the greatest Everton XI ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too dissimilar to yours but I don't understand why you are discounting Lineker who played 3 games less in total than Kanchelskis? Not exactly his fault Howard decided to let him go to Barcelona.

If you go for pace and finishing then Lineker and Sharp were better than Rom and had better all round games to them. Royle and Latchford could be considered better target men but if you were creating a team then you could say they are more in the Dixie role so would miss out. And that's before we even get to the Young(s).

Andre played 11 more games than Lineker, but it's a fair point. We can replace him with Trevor Steven if there's a minimum match requirement of more than Kanchelskis's 52 games in 2 seasons.

Dixie is my target man, with Rom just behind who can also track back and do some ball-hustling.

Sharp wasn't better than Rom in any area other than first-touch. Plus the good fortune of having played in our strongest era, so is thus associated with glory.

Tony Cottee had a better goals-per-game ratio for us than Sharpy did.

Andre played 11 more games than Lineker, but it's a fair point. We can replace him with Trevor Steven if there's a minimum match requirement of more than Kanchelskis's 52 games in 2 seasons.

Dixie is my target man, with Rom just behind who can also track back and do some ball-hustling.

Sharp wasn't better than Rom in any area other than first-touch. Plus the good fortune of having played in our strongest era, so is thus associated with glory.

Think you are just counting league games there, as we had deeper runs in the cup Lineker got a lot closer. I don't think there should be a minimum amount of games, if you played for Everton it counts, so obviously would have Rooney over Rom, especially if you want someone who can hustle and track back.

Sharp also played in some not great Everton sides and played for us over a longer period which skews his stats. I respectfully disagree with your analysis of just his first touch was better, Sharp was an intelligent player who created for others and could have scored a lot more if he had just been the usual self centred goalscorer (more like Lineker another words), that team ethic was probably why Kendall kept him.

Good players can be at a peak for different durations, his all round game probably kept him in the side for longer than you would if you were being ruthless about it. If theoretically Rom was with us over that length of time would have injuries/slowing of pace/general malaise of not moving and freshening things up cause a drop off in goals in later seasons?

Sharp had the good fortune? Oh dear. The great forward likes of that era were:
Sharp and Heath, Sharp and Gray, Sharp and Lineker. There's a common denominator there.

Based on a player’s whole career, rather than just their appearances in blue, there’s no way I’d have Lukaku anywhere near this team, especially at the expense of Rooney.

One of England’s greatest ever goal scorers (and an excellent footballer all-round) or a fella who is as consistent as jelly with no first touch.

——

I’m not going through every position, I’m just going to envisage the wet dream of Kendall, Ball and Harvey out-footballing everyone in midfield, supplying ammunition for prime Rooney and Dean to destroy every defence put in front of them.

There's no real way of knowing much about players from many years ago ... although strikers are easier, say, than defenders because of their goal tally. My dad would (and did) say that Warney Cresswell was the best EFC defender he'd watched but how many of us could compare him with Ray Wilson for example.

best X1 I've seen with my own eyes

Southall, Stevens, Ratcliffe, Stones, Baines, Reid, Steven, Kanchelskis, Arteta, Rooney, Lineker

Based on a player’s whole career, rather than just their appearances in blue, there’s no way I’d have Lukaku anywhere near this team, especially at the expense of Rooney.

One of England’s greatest ever goal scorers (and an excellent footballer all-round) or a fella who is as consistent as jelly with no first touch.

——

I’m not going through every position, I’m just going to envisage the wet dream of Kendall, Ball and Harvey out-footballing everyone in midfield, supplying ammunition for prime Rooney and Dean to destroy every defence put in front of them.
By that argument we should include Gazza, Ginola and Etoo as well then. You know, based off their whole careers rather than their limited time for us.

For us, Lukaku was much better than Rooney.

Paul Gerrard

Cuco Martina
Abel Xavier
Antolin Alcaraz
Li Weifeng

Kevin Kilbane
Dan Gosling
Jose Baxter

Andy Van Der Meyde
Oumar Niasse
Brett Angel

Managed by Phil Neville

you might not like it, but this is what peak toffee performance looks like
No Koldrup marshalling the back 4, and what about the mighty Westerveld between the sticks?

Status
Not open for further replies.