2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
About sums it up. I listened to the interview and he comes across as a thoroughly nice bloke who automatically fell into football because of his Dad. He then worked hard and became the player and icon (for Chelsea) that he was. Unfortunately, it's quite clear how much he loves that club and that makes being the coach of another team much harder.

He was lucky to fall into the Derby job, luckier still to get the Chelsea job, fortunate to then get our job and then incredibly to get fired from that and go back to Chelsea. All the time, achieving precisely nothing.

He doesn't have the hard nosed attitude you need to be a top coach. Just that simple. Would be a Peter Taylor to a Brian Clough, at best.
Looks like a prime CV for a Saudi job?

Seems like he has a new couple of buzz phrases. Bar raisers and bar lowerers. Banging on about both in the context of Everton and Chelsea. I.e players who can set standards or, he seems to be saying, drag the group down.

Fine, that happens, but one could argue the manager has a role in motivation, setting standards and driving culture.

Just another way of not taking responsibility isn't it? He brought in a lot of players at Everton too, so surely part of that is ensuring the right culture and mentality is achieved.

Dyche seems to have come in and got players up for it. Will be interesting to see if standards fall again this coming season.

Lampard is a blagger.

Seems like he has a new couple of buzz phrases. Bar raisers and bar lowerers. Banging on about both in the context of Everton and Chelsea. I.e players who can set standards or, he seems to be saying, drag the group down.

Fine, that happens, but one could argue the manager has a role in motivation, setting standards and driving culture.

Just another way of not taking responsibility isn't it? He brought in a lot of players at Everton too, so surely part of that is ensuring the right culture and mentality is achieved.

Dyche seems to have come in and got players up for it. Will be interesting to see if standards fall again this coming season.

Lampard is a blagger.
Lampard was surrounded by elite players at Chelsea during his playing days. It was a real “alpha” environment. At Everton he was prob surrounded by similar ability but less drive. He seemed to miss the part that manager put into building that mentality.

Lampard is a blagger.
And none of that mess actually matters because his lack of any tactical knowledge renders all of that meaningless. His setup lost it before anything else could happen.

Lampard is a blagger.
Absolutely. He's out to blag himself another job with soundbites. He's a poor manager. I wanted him to be successful here and backed him but he was just clueless and failed to make changes to solve issues.

Some poor fools will have him as their next manager and he will use the same formation and the same issues will appear but he will find scapegoats in the squad and when it all goes pear shaped he will be back to podcasts and rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Yep, clearly lays little blame or worry on himself for nearly relegating us.
I keep thinking back to the Q&A on stage during the US preseason tour when the compare asked him was there ever a time when you didn't know where the next win was coming from. And rather than act like a professional manager and say that with the talent in the squad and the right coaching and a bit of luck with injuries it was only a matter of time ( okay that's stretching the truth) But Lampard just laughed.

He did about as well with them as Edam head did with Barcelona or FSW at Madrid.
Derby had the equivalent of Man Citys squad (and wages) for that league, that he didn’t win it, was in itself a failure.
It was his first job in management and he took them to the play-off final.
I think we're being a bit uncharitable here!

Most perplexing in this interview was his idea that he's a coach not a manager. Didn't see any evidence of him coaching when he was with us.

Nice guy, I liked him a lot when he came in. Mostly though, it was because he wasn't benitez. Don't think he is a good coach or manager but seems quite skilled at deflection.

Status
Not open for further replies.