2023/24 Beto

Well Beto did warn us… he did say he’s not the most gifted footballer but nobody works harder than him
To be honest I'm yet to see the hard work as it very much looks like he trots around the pitch barely touching the ball.

Don't get me wrong, the system is set up for him to fail, but I don't see him sprinting to close down opposition players and I certainly don't see him dominating in the air.

We have such a bi-polar fan base at times. Why can’t a player be decent? With us they are either the brilliant or they are utterly useless.
I think part of it is that all players have bad days and runs of poor form but obviously the lower your base is the worse that is going to look and a lot of our players aren’t starting at a high base. Beto did look awful on Saturday there’s no getting away from it I’m sure that won’t be his normal standard but if you play like that people are going to have a go because it was really bad. I think he’ll be alright he has a lot to like about him but raw is a kind description at the moment. We’ve also had so many bad signings in the last few years that people are just naturally conditioned to the idea that we’ve made another one.

I'm not saying him and DCL up top won't ever work, just got a feeling as they're both target men that it's not as natural as a front 2.

I'd play Danjuma off one of them if we go 2 up top, or have Beto as a wide forward coming inside in a front 3.
Danjuma was the sub we needed at half time Saturday. We needed someone playing between the lines who could take the ball in tight spaces and link play. That player is not Doucoure against a packed defence, and service to DCL was more important than adding a second striker. Instead we sent on Beto and just hoofed it. Proper basic gameplan - no tactical acumen whatsoever from the manager.

I think we all knew that it was a massive overpay for Beto when we signed him - it was a case of Udinese being the only club that would accept our Klarna 'buy now, pay later' approach and as such we had to pay probably £10m more than he's really worth.

He's got a decent record in Italy and i've no doubt he'll score a few across the season but probably shouldn't expect too much from him.

Uh oh, Beto 🙀 😹

IMG_3556.jpeg

he put himself about and he's effective in the air and holding up the ball. yes those headers should have been on target but at least he's not anonymous. he will get goals and he will improve those around him

It's happening isn't it?

Must admit, I'm trying to figure him out. When he made his debut in the cup he looked like he had utter self belief in himself and literally helped raise the performance of the rest of the team.

Looks to be more in his shell in the Premier League. I know it's a huge gap between playing Doncaster and the likes of Arsenal, but I hoped his self-confidence and belief would be key to him as a player. I.e pushing him on and giving him a bit of bottle and fight.

It's happening isn't it?

Must admit, I'm trying to figure him out. When he made his debut in the cup he looked like he had utter self belief in himself and literally helped raise the performance of the rest of the team.

Looks to be more in his shell in the Premier League. I know it's a huge gap between playing Doncaster and the likes of Arsenal, but I hoped his self-confidence and belief would be key to him as a player. I.e pushing him on and giving him a bit of bottle and fight.

I thought he was a right handful against Sheffield Utd tbf and played really well. Arsenal he was quiet but they all were, Brentford had some good moments but missed a great chance.

Saturday was his worst cameo so far I'd say. He just looked clumsy, flat footed and a head the shape of an iron judging by that mining header from about 5 yards out.

Didn’t take long for the boo boys, no wonder we’re rubbish at home

If this is genuinely why some fans think we are rubbish at home they have bricks for brains.

We are rubbish at home because we have crap footballers and an average manager, it really is that simple.

No amount of “support” is going to make Beto good at controlling a ball, or give Doucoure and ounce of flair or make Mykolenko look like he’s seen a football before. Etc etc

If this is genuinely why some fans think we are rubbish at home they have bricks for brains.

We are rubbish at home because we have crap footballers and an average manager, it really is that simple.

No amount of “support” is going to make Beto good at controlling a ball, or give Doucoure and ounce of flair or make Mykolenko look like he’s seen a football before. Etc etc
You enjoy your booing pal