2023/24 Abdoulaye Doucoure

While Doucouré is far from the most pleasing footballer to watch, we are arguably a far better team with him in the XI than when he isn't there.

He comes across as gangly and clumsy, but he's effective: be that pressing, getting the ball moving up the pitch or being in the right place to score.
Because we play to his strengths - pressing forever and running into channels/dead ends all the time.

If we need someone who can control the ball and lay a pass forward he's absolutely useless.

A clown who somehow hits a fair few in a team that needs those fair few is a net positive but he's an atrocious footballer.

Doucoure is that player who cannot play at the end of a beautifully crafted attacking movement, but you can be your bottom dollar he will be there when the movement is dire or it breaks down. The problem is that he is in possession when the momentum breaks, our's or opposition's.

We need to sell this lad and get in another midfielder that actually has some basic skills beyond running and jumping.
I’d have no problem keeping him as a squad player. But I agree that another no10 with better technical ability is needed. Whether that’s Dele Alli, Chemiti, Dobbin, Danjuma or someone else, I’m not sure.

I think he has been VERY hit or miss this season, but he definitely isn’t the problem in the side despite what people say about him. He fluffs some chances and passes here and there but he creates so much with his effort that it balances out in the end. He is almost always there for an outlet and is one of the reasons we are getting so many chances to begin with. He does his job.

I would absolutely love another option if I’m being honest. Maybe if we landed a Gnoto/Bakayoko/etc. we’d be able to move McNeil central and get a lot of what Doucore brings with more flair and ball control. But Doucore is fine. He is really solid in that position and he gets a lot more flak than he should.

I will reappraise and judge him as a striker from now on because that’s what he is and where he’s playing. Doing his job as a striker currently.

It's probably fair, but he does do a lot more tackling than 90% of strikers and good defensive work, but a good way to look at it.

The reality is, we didn't have anyone near double figures last season. This lad got what 5 in half a season and seems to be continuing on in that vain. We can't turn our nose up at someone getting double figures goals, however unconventional he looks.

While Doucouré is far from the most pleasing footballer to watch, we are arguably a far better team with him in the XI than when he isn't there.

He comes across as gangly and clumsy, but he's effective: be that pressing, getting the ball moving up the pitch or being in the right place to score.
Absolutely bang on. Doesn’t get the credit he deserves.....Barry Horne had a song sung about himself for scoring a pivotal goal and was a bang average player who did very little else at Everton. Big Doucs should have the same status after that goal last day of last season and the others he’s plundered whilst our profligate forwards have failed to bag.

Doucoure is that player who cannot play at the end of a beautifully crafted attacking movement, but you can be your bottom dollar he will be there when the movement is dire or it breaks down. The problem is that he is in possession when the momentum breaks, our's or opposition's.
If I understand what you’re saying I’m afraid that’s hogwash. About time the fella got some credit.