2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Why on earth are we trying to sell our best players?
Unless we have to, and I could well believe we'll have to, we shouldn't sell anyone who has started a game this season in January. If we can shift Gomes or somebody, fine, otherwise we should keep everyone. Branthwaite and Onana will be worth more in July not less and we've seen how toothless we look up front without DCL. No sales unless our finances are still, somehow, over PL limits.

This lad won't be here forever but we'd be insane to sell him in January with only Keane, Godfrey and 50p to replace him with.

Unless we have to, and I could well believe we'll have to, we shouldn't sell anyone who has started a game this season in January. If we can shift Gomes or somebody, fine, otherwise we should keep everyone. Branthwaite and Onana will be worth more in July not less and we've seen how toothless we look up front without DCL. No sales unless our finances are still, somehow, over PL limits.

This lad won't be here forever but we'd be insane to sell him in January with only Keane, Godfrey and 50p to replace him with.
Has Keane's head become detached from his body?

How come when we buy in January we play over the odds, yet when we sell we think that we will get more money in the summer.

How come when we buy in January we play over the odds, yet when we sell we think that we will get more money in the summer.
Because other teams negotiate and we don't?

And also because we're currently strapped for cash and uncertain because of the deduction - not an unfair assumption teams can push us around for prices like that.

Why on earth are we trying to sell our best players?

DCL is doing well to be fit on the pitch, Beto has yet to deliver. As i mentioned in the other thread, i would see an opportunity if we could also bring in an elite or future elite forward by moving both on.

As for Branthwaite, i wouldnt want to sell for £125mil i think hes absolutely amazing...both he and Onana could be the spine of our team for the next decade.

Keeping those two has to be the priority, but imagine if we could land another of similar age and ability to play up top or wide right...wed be a new team.

DCL is doing well to be fit on the pitch, Beto has yet to deliver. As i mentioned in the other thread, i would see an opportunity if we could also bring in an elite or future elite forward by moving both on.

As for Branthwaite, i wouldnt want to sell for £125mil i think hes absolutely amazing...both he and Onana could be the spine of our team for the next decade.

Keeping those two has to be the priority, but imagine if we could land another of similar age and ability to play up top or wide right...wed be a new team.

….the aspiration is always to bring in ‘elite’ footballers. We’re spending £40m on Beto and Chermiti, I’m sure Thelwell wanted them to be good.

The irony is that two of our most sellable assets cost £1m each, DCL and Branthwaite. Elite players don’t always cost elite money, it’s where a DOF earns his corn.

I have zero doubt both will have been flogged by summer 25, most likely because they’re fed up of bobbing sound the bottom of the EPL when they are good enough for a starting berth in a top 6 club.
Just hope the money can be spend wisely on rebuilding rather than paying off the William Kenwright Stadium debt.

….the aspiration is always to bring in ‘elite’ footballers. We’re spending £40m on Beto and Chermiti, I’m sure Thelwell wanted them to be good.

The irony is that two of our most sellable assets cost £1m each, DCL and Branthwaite. Elite players don’t always cost elite money, it’s where a DOF earns his corn.
They weren't elite players when we brought them in though. We had to develop them and it took a bit of time. I wouldn't call them elite players either, just good top flight players. Branthwaite might become a top player in time because I don't think he's close to reaching his peak yet.

If you want to sign an elite player, rather than a player who might be developed into a top player, it costs huge amounts of money in the modern game. Money which we don't have, which is why developing players into really good players is our only option, but it's not easy either.

They weren't elite players when we brought them in though. We had to develop them and it took a bit of time. I wouldn't call them elite players either, just good top flight players. Branthwaite might become a top player in time because I don't think he's close to reaching his peak yet.

If you want to sign an elite player, rather than a player who might be developed into a top player, it costs huge amounts of money in the modern game. Money which we don't have, which is why developing players into really good players is our only option, but it's not easy either.

…happy with signing very effective footballers for Everton, don’t really get this ‘elite’ tag. Thing is with DCL and Branthwaite you could see they had what it takes. I watched DCL play one of his first games for the U21s and forecast he’d play in the first team before Christmas, which he did. Branthwaite looked the real deal.

Still waiting on a ‘that’ll do me‘ moment for Chermiti. I’m concerned the Portuguese clubs are a hunting ground for talent, yet clubs weren’t queueing for him. Sporting had him on their conveyor belt yet brought in Gyrokeres for £25m, they were keen on pushing Chermiti out, even if they had to wait 12 months for their money.

Just buy good footballers.

…happy with signing very effective footballers for Everton, don’t really get this ‘elite’ tag. Thing is with DCL and Branthwaite you could see they had what it takes. I watched DCL play one of his first games for the U21s and forecast he’d play in the first team before Christmas, which he did. Branthwaite looked the real deal.

Still waiting on a ‘that’ll do me‘ moment for Chermiti. I’m concerned the Portuguese clubs are a hunting ground for talent, yet clubs weren’t queueing for him. Sporting had him on their conveyor belt yet brought in Gyrokeres for £25m, they were keen on pushing Chermiti out, even if they had to wait 12 months for their money.

Just buy good footballers.
The best thing we did with JB was sending him to PSV on loan. He clearly had the ability, but looked like he lacked experience at times. The mistake he made to get a red card against Brentford was just inexperience really. His decision making is massively improved this year, and it looks like he just needed to play more matches at a good level.

I'm not sure we can afford to give Chermiti a loan given our low numbers in attack though.