The Battle of Goodison

I thought we had a thread, years' back, shocked I remembered.

I'm not part of the love in for his personality, but I reckon Clough would have suited us brilliantly in his peak.

Not of this is from memory obviously, but couldn't be having Revie, his Leeds were the only team who Colin Harvey had obvious disdain for in his book, pretty much credits them with bringing diving into the game.

Bremner was a narky git, could start a fight in a Convent.

Sure we tried for Clough at some point, would have been a great appointment for us
He turned us down as he wanted sole control & John Moores would no t give him that - also he hated the fact of being under the scrutiny of the Anfield lot -
Booby Robson very nearly cane to us twice on both occasions a deal was done &, on the precept that John Moores kept in quiet until he told his Ipswich chairman - Moore's told the papers twice in advance of the deal thinking a handshake sealed the deal - some say Robson did this to get a pay rise of Ipswich to stay & used us just to do that ....

Revie was going to come - but changed his mind at the last minute - Billy Bingham was about 4th choice ended up coming here ....

That copper, was he not nicknamed The walrus ? the battle of Goodison -

1709117544121.png

I was there.
IMO, It all stemed from the Cup repay the season before
Leeds were an up and coming 2nd Div team and previously we tried to buy Bremner for £15,000
Revie made it an - if he goes I go - thing
Anyway, the away 4th round tie was played at typical cuptie pace with the 'under dogs' keen to show the 'Merseyside Millionaires' what was what.
We were, tbf, The Reigning Champions, but we were stuttering, short of last seasons form and carrying a few injuries.
iirc, for some reason Alex Scott not Vernon took a Penalty, had it saved(?) and had to retake it - but Vernon stepped in and scored it.
The Replay
Tues 28th Jan.
A cold, clear, frosty, near freezing, night and 66,167 piled in to Goodison when it really was Woodison.
The Tannoy was belting out Glad All Over, and the crowd stamped along - it was more 'Bear Pit' than Bayern or any game since
With Jimmy Gabriel in at No 9 for Young, giving the Ultimate Conan the Barbarian performance.
Charlton, Hunter were made to look like Per Koldrup on a bad day.
Bremner & Giles? Ineffectual

Short version; They bottled it good style, they had no answer to the crowd's and the team's intensity - LMF - look it up.

Revie (and Leeds) IMO, Bricked it...if this is what the 1st Division had in store for him, he didn't fancy it and decided to get his retaliation in first
And thus Leeds, dirty, dirty, Leeds were born

Fast forward to November.
Straight from the off they got their retaliation in first.
After 5mins over by the dug out Giles...dirty, snidey, [Poor language removed], did something to Sandy Brown...I was unsighted...what ever it was, it so incensed Sandy that he immediately decked him with one to the chin.
Scenes.

But it was working.
We fell for it and actually committed more fouls than them
(But it worked...and they worked that plan A for 10 years
dirty, dirty Leeds.)
Nobody, The Referee, The Everton Players and Crowd...except for 30secs of grain B&W tv from Chile in 1962 had seen cynical thuggery on an Industrial scale - Ever.
The Reff didn't know what to do - who would
Enter The Crowd; we were off our tree at the brass neck of their unpunished antics, it just fed on its self.
Looking back, The Reff, poor soul, probably did the best thing in taking both teams off...what else could he do - he'd lost it after 5mins
Cue media outrage as Leeds, dirty, dirty, leeds slink off with 3pts smirking like Muttley. [Poor language removed]

Edit; Soz about the language, but it still does my crust in 60yrs on

I was there.
Leeds were an up and coming 2nd Div team and previously we tried to buy Bremner for £15,000
Anyway, the away 4th round tie was played at typical cuptie pace with the 'under dogs' keen to show the 'Merseyside Millionaires' what was what.
We were, tbf, The Reigning Champions, but we were stuttering, short of last seasons form and carrying a few injuries.
iirc, for some reason Alex Scott not Vernon took a Penalty, had it saved(?) and had to retake it - but Vernon stepped in and scored it.
The Replay
Tues 28th Jan.
A cold, clear, frosty, near freezing, night and 66,167 piled in to Goodison when it really was Woodison.
The Tannoy was belting out Glad All Over, and the crowd stamped along - it was more 'Bear Pit' than Bayern or any game since
With Jimmy Gabriel in at No 9 for Young, giving the Ultimate Conan the Barbarian performance.

Short version; They bottled it good style, they had no answer to the crowd's and the team's intensity - LMF - look it up.

Revie (and Leeds) IMO, Bricked it...if this is what the 1st Division had in store for him, he didn't fancy it and decided to get his retaliation in first

After 5mins over by the dug out Giles...dirty, snidey, [Poor language removed], did something to Sandy Brown...I was unsighted...what ever it was, it so incensed Sandy that he immediately decked him with one to the chin.
Scenes.

But it was working.
dirty, dirty Leeds.)
Nobody, The Referee, The Everton Players and Crowd...except for 30secs of grain B&W tv from Chile in 1962 had seen cynical thuggery on an Industrial scale - Ever.
Enter The Crowd; we were off our tree at the brass neck of their unpunished antics, it just fed on its self.
Looking back, The Reff, poor soul, probably did the best thing in taking both teams off...what else could he do - he'd lost it after 5mins
Cue media outrage as Leeds, dirty, dirty, leeds slink off with 3pts smirking like Muttley. [Poor language removed]

My older brother was there & stated the tackle on Derek Temple by the goalscorer full back was the worst hr had ever seen .... that started the crowd to kick off even worse in a foul strung game which led the players to be removed from the pitch...

Sandy Brown got studded by Giles right down his chest & he just chinned him early on a complete knock-out - sent off -while both of them should have been sent off - Sandy shown the stud marks to the referee - but Giles somehow got away with it - that set the tone ..... your assessment @degsy is spot on from what I got told as a kid .....

He turned us down as he wanted sole control & John Moores would no t give him that - also he hated the fact of being under the scrutiny of the Anfield lot -
Booby Robson very nearly cane to us twice on both occasions a deal was done &, on the precept that John Moores kept in quiet until he told his Ipswich chairman - Moore's told the papers twice in advance of the deal thinking a handshake sealed the deal - some say Robson did this to get a pay rise of Ipswich to stay & used us just to do that ....

Revie was going to come - but changed his mind at the last minute - Billy Bingham was about 4th choice ended up coming here ....
Never knew anyo

never knew any of that, good few sliding doors moments there!

I was there.
The Replay
Tues 28th Jan.

Scenes.

But it was working.
dirty, dirty Leeds.)

Me too.
I was in tears when I saw Temple carried off. Never had a nickname "Dirty Leeds" been so richly deserved.