The Financial Landscape of English Football

*puts on serious cap

I don’t want this discussion into turn a PSR, elite club chat to overrun that thread. But what would people see as fair and just to regulate the competition.

With our situation, Forest and now Villa who are posting £120m losses, how can a team compete?

There is a lot of calls for salary caps, or do people just say open the books and let clubs do what they want, and spend however they see fit.
Salary cap

Personally not a fan of capping anything monetarily, however there should be a mechanism that both allows a benevolent owner to spend what they want, but at the same time protect clubs from being laden with unmanageable debt.
Not sure how that would work but I’ve previously said some sort of escrow fund equivalent to any debt against the clubs seems doable.
Ie if an owner of a club whose revenue doesn’t get near that of a Man City want to put £300m into it, they need to also set aside an equivalent sum for the duration of that liability, it could be amortised with the debt to prevent them hoovering up players and youth who never get a sniff of 1st team action.
Might also need a stricter cap on squad and academy numbers now there are state funds involved to.

If people like Moshiri want to piss away their (or their mates) money on stuff they have no idea about I don’t see the problem as long as it remains their problem.

The rules are only in place to stop clubs being able to buy their way into the elite which City and Chelsea already did.

It’s a joke. What other business doesn’t allow people to spend their own (or their mates) money on something they own?

Personally, for me I’d like to the introduction of a spending cap. Each club has the same amount of money to spend on players, transfers, wages, agent fees etc (say £300m)

If a clubs revenue does not equal the spend, then the owner, if they wish can pump money into the club to cover the difference. If the owner doesn’t, then they operate within their budget/revenue generation.

Profits on revenue vs income can go back into the club (u23, woman’s team etc). And any breach of up to £10m over would result in a transfer ban for 1 window

Whether your Luton or City, £300m is your limit

Neville proposed months ago that every club should be able to spend as much as the club who earns the highest revenue in the league if they wish to.

I would add like others have that owners shouldn’t be able to load a club with debt. If they spend above the club’s revenue it’s out of their own pocket only.

The more successful teams could still outspend others most of the time due to the higher revenue but with a little luck it at least gives a club the chance to challenge the top 6 if their owner has the funds and ambition.

salary caps, transfer limits, European revenues distributed equally throughout the league, scrap PS&R and have a central emergency fund in place for any clubs that do go to the wall to allow them to get back into operation lower down in the leagues.

Good podcast on BBC about multi club ownership- it really brings home the idea that there is a global pyramid with a handful of clubs at the top.

Any competition with a salary cap is going to be an inferior competition, but I say bring it on.

Let the scab six have their super league. Let them pay a million a week and buy all the superstars.

I would be quite happy for Everton to be a competitive team in an English league with a salary cap, founded on the principle of clubs rooted in their communities.

Elite Football is soulless now. You could probably make your peace with it being soulless if you’re team is winning, but the game is so loaded now that only a few teams ever will win. Better to wave them goodbye and rebuild with what we have left.

*puts on serious cap

I don’t want this discussion into turn a PSR, elite club chat to overrun that thread. But what would people see as fair and just to regulate the competition.

With our situation, Forest and now Villa who are posting £120m losses, how can a team compete?

There is a lot of calls for salary caps, or do people just say open the books and let clubs do what they want, and spend however they see fit.
Leicester as well. Potentially could've had a situation where we'd been sued. Or even worse, we could've been docked points last season and relegated while the team that survived would later be found guilty of a breach in the same period but too late to do anything.

Football as we know it is in its death throws, unless they bin off masters and take the handbrake off owners.

As well as a lot of what has already been mentioned, I think 'Fan Advisory Boards' should have have a bigger say in club matters.
At the end of the day it's the fans clubs ( whoever the owners are ) Also a set percentage of ownership allowed...

IT'S A GAME, NOT A BUSINESS !!

Maybe ban live football on TV (except for one prestige game a season - perhaps the FA cup final?). Then the game wouldn't be awash with obscene amounts of money and teams wouldn't be able to afford to pay ridiculous wages to blokes who make up the squad numbers (and those 'almost elite blokes' woul play regularly for someone else instead). It would even up the playing field and the finances and success would be based on astute recruitment/management rather than just buying up all of the sweets in the shop. And with the nature of risk/judgement being what it is, it would be highly unlikely that the same select group of teams would remain at the pinnacle long term. Fans of Peterborough, Crawley, Bolton, etc could then dare to dream.
I dunno though, maybe that could never work..............oh, hang on a sec!

A salary cap as a percentage of a clubs revenue would be a good idea. It would mean clubs only being able to offer wages that they should be able to afford to pay after other expenses have been paid. Clubs that are making good commercial decisions get the reward to pay bigger wages.
Completely kills competition.