Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
People get too hung up that anyone playing in midfield has to be a good tackler or solid defensively, toure is poor, ballack was, zidane was, hell lampard was crap at it and they all played a,lot of time centrally, depends on the rest of the team being aware and the tactics allowing for it

I don't agree with that at all, quality central midfielders should be proficient in both attack and defence. Obviously they might be more proficient in one regard than the other, but they have to at least have some proficiency in both, otherwise they aren't very good central midfielders, imo.

Our one man midfield he is brilliant - he has matured he has stopped the turning inside and ou he now holds the ball and his distribution is improving, just need another play maker to complement him, and we would be a force to get a top 4 place imo he is that good now !

He was poor last year, but this year something seems to have clicked. He rightfully took stick last year, I dont mean on the pitch by the fans but definitely in coversations and on forums, so he therefore deserves the plaudits this season.

It's no different than Heitinga who was class one year and poor the next, insulting other fans for their opinion on his last year, because of this years form is wrong.

The surprising thing for me is McCarthy is having a quieter year, yet Ross is more confident, I expected him to be more confident when McCarthy was playing better as it gives him more freedom to roam about.

Barry has always been very supportive of Barkley, this was a interview he game when Ross (and Barry) were both going through bad patches. Think Gareth's rather phlegmatic approach to performances is a good role model to follow.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/24/manchester-city-transfer-ross-barkley-gareth-barry
Barry and Barkley have had seasons that mirror Everton’s – failing to meet expectations before helping Roberto Martínez’s team pull clear of relegation trouble with a run of four wins in five matches before Sunday’s meeting with Manchester United. Experience has helped the former Aston Villa and City midfielder handle the contrast to last season, which he attributes to playing three games a week after injuries to James McCarthy and Darron Gibson denied him rest, but he has sympathy for Barkley.

Barry added: “I speak to Ross quite often, I sit next to him in the changing room, and you feel sorry for him sometimes because of the expectation that is getting thrown on to his shoulders. He’s dealt with the pressure very well because, like the team, his form hasn’t been the same as last season when he really hit the ground running.

“People are expecting goals and assists of him, week in, week out. That hasn’t happened but he’s still putting in good, mature performances. They haven’t ended in goals or assists but he’s improving as a player. He’s learning different things that will eventually make him a better player. It’s important for everyone around Ross to try to keep his feet on the ground. His ability and his strengths are there for everyone to see. He can go on and be a top, top player.”

I don't agree with that at all, quality central midfielders should be proficient in both attack and defence. Obviously they might be more proficient in one regard than the other, but they have to at least have some proficiency in both, otherwise they aren't very good central midfielders, imo.

So Toure and Lampard in your opinion arent good midfielders? Hell Gerrard wasnt good defensively either, nor Beckham, nor scholes all who played centre mid at the top level and are regarded by most as exceptional in their role mate

I don't get why people compare Ross with others, they compare him now, to them at their peak, I don't get it.

He is better at 21, than Gerrard, Lampard, Yaya and even Scholes.

Saw Lampard playing with Gerrard for the under 21s against yugoslavia in spain, would have told me then Lampard would have the career he had would have laughed, looked poor and a mile below Gerrard who you xould tell had a huge slippy future

Paul Scholes was the worst tackler in the prem.

Pirlo is not fast at sprinting

Xavi is poor in the air.

Amazing wasn't it how Ferguson carried Scholes for all those years in a two man midfield but rather than being exposed they won everything. Defensive midfielders are massively overhyped to the point where some managers mandate playing two in midfield every game. Control of the tempo of play and the creation of chances are all that matters. Top teams do this properly with natural playmakers. Thats why Ferguson played Scholes and Keane then Scholes and Carrick. Modern managers would make you believe however that those midfields would be ran through, overpowered, outnumbered. In reality though they were bossing physical three man midfields every week because their touch, vision, intelligence, and passing range meant they dictated the flow of a game regardless of the physical attributes of the opposition.

Sadly however we have had to endure the likes of Erikson putting Scholes on the wing, Moyes putting Arteta and Osman wide, Martinez putting Ross wide or at ten. Even Tata Martino thought Iniesta wasn't defensive enough to stay in the middle and needed to play wide to accommodate a harder working midfielder at a time when he was probably the worlds best midfielder (Barca won everything again as soon as Enrique put him back in the middle).

I thought after Barca dominated playing Xavi and Iniesta in the middle, and Pirlo taught slippy and Hendo a lesson twice on the international stage that we'd learn that natural playmakers in the middle win games. Sadly we didn't so we have to watch Barry and McCarthy toil for Everton and Henderson and Milner for England.

Ross is doing better this season because he's coming deeper and running the game himself. Maybe at some point Martinez will realise he can take the unnecessary training wheels of Barry and McCarthy out the team and let Ross get on with it. Maybe we could play all our wingers then and our striker would look like a 30 mill one. Who knows we might even get top 4 rather than one decent performance in three.

That gigantic list of people's thoughts on Barkley contains my name. The problem with it is it's ok trying to be smug now and say how wrong we were for doubting him and he's Boss Barkley again.

But it's been 5/6 games. Barkley was absolutely DREADFUL for the majority of last season and deserved some of the stick he got. This season he deserves a LOT of praise because he's been fantastic.

But it doesn't mean one group is right and the other is wrong. People can only judge off what they see, seems quite a few saw a very poor player last season, this season we're seeing upto now a fantastic player. Here's hoping he stays in the latter and keeps us all positive!
that's exactly what it means, it up to you to learn from those of who were right

Status
Not open for further replies.