Everton Youth Teams Thread

....Dowells pass in the lead up to Niasse's goal is enough to show he's a player, great vision and touch.

Looks a really talented boy doesn't he mate? For whatever reason I'm not sure it quite happened for him pre season or Koeman at least thought he wasn't ready yet. It surprised me a little as he had a fantastic run away at MK Dons.

I really like Dowell as he looks capable of moments of quality in the crucial areas of the pitch be it a pass, a dribble or a shot. While against Norwich at the end of last season Davies rightly stole the show his ball to Kenny for the 3rd goal was really impressive.

I hope he doesn't fall by the wayside as Ledson has done.

Looks a really talented boy doesn't he mate? For whatever reason I'm not sure it quite happened for him pre season or Koeman at least thought he wasn't ready yet. It surprised me a little as he had a fantastic run away at MK Dons.

I really like Dowell as he looks capable of moments of quality in the crucial areas of the pitch be it a pass, a dribble or a shot. While against Norwich at the end of last season Davies rightly stole the show his ball to Kenny for the 3rd goal was really impressive.

...as we all know it's a massive step up and it will become increasingly difficult for youngsters to break through with monies at the managers disposal. Saying that, if they are very special they can become part of the first team set up.

....Dowells pass in the lead up to Niasse's goal is enough to show he's a player, great vision and touch.
Some great goals, my favourite is the last, for its build up. Kenny showing he can turn defence into quick attack with a long ball, something RK likes, Robinson controlling , moving ball on with one touch , surging forward, looking up and playing the simple ball for Dyson to score.

Have to say, Dyson is banging in the goals this season. He's filled out a lot and it's still hard to see him getting a shot at the first team, but fair play to him he's making out like a proper goalscorer.

Some great goals, my favourite is the last, for its build up. Kenny showing he can turn defence into quick attack with a long ball, something RK likes, Robinson controlling , moving ball on with one touch , surging forward, looking up and playing the simple ball for Dyson to score.

Have to say, Dyson is banging in the goals this season. He's filled out a lot and it's still hard to see him getting a shot at the first team, but fair play to him he's making out like a proper goalscorer.

....yep, sometimes a youngsters physique suddenly fits his frame, the penny drops and they start to believe that can mix it with the best.

Lacking a little bit in pace but apart from that he has the lot. Definitely see's the big picture whenever I've seen him, and that's rare in players his age. Just needs to learn how to get involved more, but I'm sure that will come with time.

I personally don't think he'll go by wayside. If he doesn't make it with us we need to make sure we get some buy back clause in any sale as I think he'll become a top player one day. I've said before he reminds me of Le tissier and he didn't really start influencing games until his mid twenties.

Certainly Arsenal had a young side out last night, apparently a number of their u23 squad are in their cup squad tonight. We shouldn't be beating a team like Arsenal 5-0 away so there's an element of devaluing the competition , equally you can only play what's in front of you and 5-0 is still 5-0.
Last Saturday we played our strongest u18s, with at least 3 players playing who feature regularly in the U23s, and last night of the starting team and bench we had all our best u23s with probabably only Foulds missing, and both results speak of our strength in depth. It can take a few months for 1st year scholars to step up to U18s , so having an older and stronger u18s and strong u23s works out well . It also makes sense that both Walsh and Koeman have a good look at the likes of Kenny, Connolly and Walsh before they decide on any future loans , in January they may have a different perspective.

The other interesting focus is on our whole Academy/u23 system. Our stated aim is to have one of the best Academy's in Europe. Well we've got the players, the majority of whom are local, can we convert these players into PL or Championship players? Statistically very few of them will make it to PL regulars , but this is an exciting time to prove we have a system that can produce the finished product .
Unsy's squad is huge. There are probably 7/8 players who came up from last years under 18s not getting any game time at the moment, and don't qualify at the younger age group any more. Quality players too. Be interesting to see how he juggles things as not playing has to be hindering their development.

Davies and Dowell in the pics of the 1st team squad training at FF this week, makes sense to keep them there and if they don't appear on Saturday give them game time with the U23s on Monday.
It was nice to see a few pics of a smiling Ty Browning too, although it looked like he wasn't doing the full training sessions at this stage. He's 22 now so a big season for him with his contract up at the end of the season, two years ago he was making his debut against the RS . It's tough to come back after such a long injury , but these days they can come back physically stronger having had time to build up strength and muscle.

...as we all know it's a massive step up and it will become increasingly difficult for youngsters to break through with monies at the managers disposal. Saying that, if they are very special they can become part of the first team set up.

i think with koeman it may become an issue for youngsters. As his history shows, he's not one to stick around. With our wealth he's not going to worry about developing youngsters, unlike what martinez would view. As shown by the way martinez set up swansea with a system which is still reaping rewards now, koeman will probably think more of "i have £100m transfer budget i'll just buy a load of players who are ready now, gain success and move on". I know he's used youngsters this season, but mainly due to injuries and because we didn't do anywhere near the level of transfer business he hoped.

i think with koeman it may become an issue for youngsters. As his history shows, he's not one to stick around. With our wealth he's not going to worry about developing youngsters, unlike what martinez would view. As shown by the way martinez set up swansea with a system which is still reaping rewards now, koeman will probably think more of "i have £100m transfer budget i'll just buy a load of players who are ready now, gain success and move on". I know he's used youngsters this season, but mainly due to injuries and because we didn't do anywhere near the level of transfer business he hoped.

what youngsters did martinez bring through?

.....I think any manager will bring in a youngster if they are better than what he already has.

.....I think any manager will bring in a youngster if they are better than what he already has.
The danger is it becomes a catch 22 - they don't bring in youngsters because they've got older more experienced players, youngsters can't get that experience without playing at a higher level.

Koeman is at the top of our pyramid, the man with the final decision on if a youngster plays and the one with the most to lose if it goes wrong. The exciting bit is underneath him with Sheedy, Peter Vint, Unsy and Walsh all very good in their field and potentially contributing to creating a world class Academy structure that will survive when RK moves on. It's great to see three teenagers currently training with the 1st team , that's now RKs job to turn them into competent squad players who fit into his systems . Then if they are good enough to kick on they become regulars, if not they'll make a decent living elsewhere.

The big issue is that fans , owners and therefore managers demand instant success these days and often youngsters don't get the time they need to develop or are written off too early. The other night Nathan Chalobah made his debut for Chelsea , he's been around as a promising youngster for years and astonishingly they said he'd played 88 times at various England Youth levels, and he's 21. Too often we write people off because they haven't made it by 21 so it's good to see Chalobah making his breakthrough.

I'm not so sure mate, unless it's the likes of Rooney/Owen. Some managers put more trust in youth than others. People like Pochettino and Brendan Rogers and, to a lesser degree, Martinez, are quite happy to throw them in. Even LVG at Man U last season. Koeman doesn't strike me as that type of manager.

What I would like to see is them being given an opportunity in the match day squad ahead of players like Gibson, Cleverley and Kone and maybe brought on once the game is secure.