Confirmed Signing Cenk Tosun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great point ! Let me explain my opinion. Hakan sukur was much more static striker than Cenk specially in his later years when he was playing outside Turkey. And sukurs finishing was below than Cenks level but Sukur had complete dominance and got all the share of balls crossed at him at all times. Hakan Sukurs only hype was during uefa 2000 performances when galatasaray had Hagi and many attacking minded players and they all got along superb. He also performed below par in national games, but because his off the field influence with politicians and (at the time) his relatinship with this crooked religious figure, he was always unfairly overrated and favored in Turkey he even had a hand in sacking a young talented national team coach, who is right now the manager of league leaders Basaksehir. That is why when hakan went to overseas he couldnt adjust life outside his cozy situation in Galata and Istanbul. Cenk is totally different character. If I would compare Hakan Sukur with any I would compare with Arda Turan because just like Hakan he is tight with current political powers and his attitude with press is similar, he is overrated and have too much influence in media and press. Let me add that Arda is way more talented footballer than Hakan Sukur ever was so yeah Arda at his best in Atletico Madrid, is still more talented however his attitude is down the toilet as he thinks he is a little mafioso and he thinks he deserves to be treated like a King in Turkey, Hakans only real advantage was when he was living in Turkey he had influence over any coach and even when he wasnt performing well he was never sidelined, so he was able to get his form back at some point since he was always on the field. And he took care of his body well and was physically strong compared to Turkish strikers at the time.

So back to Tosun, I really hope Cenk succeeds in EPL somewhat like Tugay. Because first he is a good character when I dealt with him during promo shoots and such. He is down to earth and he really practices hard to work on his weaknesses. He is not Kaka, he is not kane but he is a solid all around striker With the current oversaturated market in the world he is worth at least 25m pounds upto 30m specially after his champions league performances.

Happy 2018!

I don't want to write him off but I seem to remember Turkey's greatest goalscorer, Hakan Sukur, being absolute tosh at Blackburn.

I'm interested to know why Besiktas fans think this cat will suceed where Sukur failed?

Last edited:

I watched that highlight vid. Impressive, I also noticed quite a few bodies in and around the box in every goal scored. HO HO HO WELCOME TO EVERTON CENK!

Announce Him!
SmartRewardingDutchshepherddog-max-1mb.gif

Can't recall many players who have made their name/come from the Süper Lig and performed well in the premier league...

Actually I can name a few. Back in the days, Les Ferdinand made his first leap playing for Beşiktaş. A Beşiktaş export also, Ronny Johnsen was a solid defender for Manchester United until knee injuries overshadowed his career. Tugay Kerimoglu is a Blackburn Rovers legend. Tuncay Sanli enjoyed a couple of productive years playing for Middlesbrough, Stoke City and Bolton. Mile Jedinak and Niasse were players who made their names in Turkey playing for smaller clubs. Also Geremi, once a Real Madrid then a Chelsea player is a Turkish product too. Some people here want Aboubakar and last year he made his leap playing as the backup of Cenk in Beşiktaş. You can argue that the sample size is small but that is the main reason you are buying Cenk cheap in this crazy football market. If Turkish clubs were selling players for years as Shakhtar or Porto does, the price tag would be twice as discussed.

Recent years I have been debating if Cenk is the suitable striker for Beşiktaş but he improved his game. I've always seen him as the guy you throw inside 18 yard box when you need to score in the last 20 minutes. If you were buying him this time last year, i would say that he can't fulfill your expectations but this year he is a different player. Until this year he was just a lethal finisher but over the summer he's added a ton to his game. He learned using his skills outside of the 18 yard box. He can hold up ball, dribble and distribute. My honest opinion is that you are making a very good purchase considering both financial and football aspects. You can't go wrong with Cenk. He is a down to earth guy, a great character, hard worker and competitor with an all-around skill set. With the right circumstances, he will shine.

In regard to his Turkish League performance, Beşiktaş's style of play doesn't fit him well. In Turkish Super League Beşiktaş is playing with lower profile clubs with limited skill, defending their half zone parking the bus. Especially this year Senol Gunes the manager, switched the style of Beşiktaş from short passing and movement from the middle to spreading the game into flanks and bombing crosses all night long. If you watch highlights, lots of times you can see that Cenk is the lone striker in the 18 yard box, tussling with 2 physical defenders trying to reach the ball. However in Champions League, with the space to move he scored all kinds of goals including long range, header, short range and penalty kick. Maybe he is not the quickest player around but he can dribble the ball.

Turkish League is a lower level one compared to Premier League, which makes anticipating Cenk's Everton performance hard. For years, as Turkish people we have seen players we have sold performing better in higher level leagues. Arda is an example. In his last year on Galatasaray, he was a magazine figure, speaking outside of the pitch day and night rather than playing inside. When he arrived Madrid, with the rising level and expectations he focused on football and stepped up his game. Turkish national football team is another example. We have participated in a few tournaments but when we do, we have been successfull apart from last Euro 2016 group where we had internal problems between players and coaching staff. The reason is clear. If you are regularly facing weak opponents, you can't cope with stronger ones. As per Cenk, with the mentality and commitment to the game of football, i believe that he will thrive at Everton. In order to play in a higher level, you have to be ready all the time, work hard and act clever. As far as i know, Cenk is the man to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.