2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get your point but do think Gomes offers a pretty unique player that suits us really well atm.

Neves, for example, isn't a ball carrier, he sits deep and dictates the play. I don't actually know what Savic does but appreciate he's very good. Zielinski has always looked more of a diminutive playmaker type to me.

I get the Ndombele example, certainly, although I'd also say Ndombele's game is more about power. Really like Doucoure as a player too, but not sure his control or ability on the ball can be compared to Gomes'.

I'd say - in PL terms - the player that Gomes seems most akin to on the ball is Dembele. Gomes seems to have more height and a bit more of an eye for a penetrating pass, but in terms of his dribbling on the ball and strength when in possession, he seems very similar. Dembele has (or had) a bit more of a burst of pace, though.

Get your point though, and I'm sure we'll have alternatives in mind but I'm confident we'll get the deal done. Was chuffed when we signed him because I remember the hype from when he was at Benfica and Valencia. I think I admitted at the time I perhaps never 'got it' with him but simultaneously from what I'd seen of him pre-Barcelona, if he regained that form we were getting a hell of a player.

Even in October, before he came into the side, we had people saying we needed 2 midfielders, and I don't think they realised just what Gomes could bring to our team in that link role.
He’s unique, sure, and he might be a really good fit. Seems like a wonderful character for our club, too. Again, I seriously think I was the first poster on the board to suggested we get Gomes. But is Gomes the best box to box player in the world?

Imagine Doucoure or Ndombele in his place. Both those guys are more athletic, more explosive, might be better at winning balls and could morph us into a very scary 4-2-3-1 counter attacking side. Pair them with Gana and you’ve got a more disruptive team that could be very difficult to break down. Just different. Both expensive, too.

I just fear that Gomes will be super expensive as he suddenly looks like the player he was at Valencia. He will be sold, though. Barca knows he isn’t a fit for their style of play.

I don’t even really like Neves or Savic. Haven’t seen Barella at all, just using him as a point. There are a couple older guys we could probably plug in for a year or so, too.
I'd say Gomes is currently better than both of those players and is a great fit for how we want to play.

I love Gana and don't think he'll be going anywhere, but in a 4-2-3-1 if we did sign a Doucoure/Ndombele type (I don't think we'll actually sign either player) then it'd probably be to give us a different option to Gana more than anything else.

Anyway, all of our focus will be on getting sexy Andre. I don't think we'll get any of the others but like I said I understand your point.

You're both right. I do think that this is the first time Silva has played with a purely defensive DM (Gana) which is interesting.

I think if we were somehow able to pair Gomes and Ndombele then we'd have a very very good centre midfield. Neves would be my 2nd choice.

If not then a comparable quality player along with Gomes.

You rang ?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ert-loan-deal-to-permanent-contract-z3h825g5x

Everton believe Andre Gomes wants to convert loan deal to permanent contract

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F703ced86-f7b1-11e8-8f64-ec083420809b.jpg
Gomes impressed during Sunday’s Merseyside derby

Everton are hoping that Andre Gomes’ unwillingness to return to Barcelona will help to drive down his price as they try to secure his permanent transfer.
The Portugal midfielder cost a £2 million loan fee when joining in August and has impressed with his range of skills, catching the eye in Sunday’s Merseyside derby despite his side’s 1-0 defeat to Liverpool.

Gomes endured an unhappy spell over two years at the Nou Camp following a £29 million move from Valencia and claimed the pressure he felt under turned his stay into a “kind of hell”.
Everton believe that the 25-year-old does not want to go back to the Catalan club and hope that Gomes’ desire to remain at Goodison Park will help discussions over the coming months. There is no immediate rush to conclude a deal, however, with Gomes’ loan deal running until the summer.

Marcel Brands, Everton’s director of football, said Barcelona’s asking price was too expensive in the summer only for them to relent and sanction a temporary switch. Sources in Spain indicate that Barcelona would seek their money back.

As well as a deal for Gomes, Marco Silva, the Everton manager, knows he needs a proven striker to propel his side to the next level. The likes of Morgan Schneiderlin and Oumar Niasse could be sold in January as the careful overhaul of Everton’s squad continues.
Everton host Newcastle United tomorrow with goalkeeper Jordan Pickford sure to be barracked by the away supporters following his error which gifted a 96th-minute winner to Liverpool striker Divock Origi.

Pickford has clashed with Newcastle fans before, notably when tweeting, “Get the rave on” when they were relegated and his former club Sunderland stayed in the Premier League in 2016.
The message also adorned the side of his Nike boots when he represented England at the World Cup last summer.

The 24-year-old apologised for his aberration against Liverpool and team-mate Michael Keane believes he has the mental strength to recover.
“We feel for Jordan, he’s been absolutely brilliant for us and he’s got a bit of bad luck there,” said the defender. “He’ll be fine. He is one of the mentally strongest players I know.”

Imagine, just £29mil ?!?!?!

If a player is available then surely that’s a player we can get, no? I don’t really think an American can judge the English language.

lol

MS: "Sometime in football the most expensive footballers are the cheapest you can sign."

Spotted that myself...very interesting...i wonder if its something lost in translation or hes uber confident we will get Gomes...

I have just read that he wants to turn the loan into permanent so the only thing now is the money he will cost. I can see us paying 50m plus and brands paying that will mean no chance of a buy back clause

Wouldnt matter about any buy back clause as gomes would refuse to return there anyway.

You're both right. I do think that this is the first time Silva has played with a purely defensive DM (Gana) which is interesting.

I think if we were somehow able to pair Gomes and Ndombele then we'd have a very very good centre midfield. Neves would be my 2nd choice.

If not then a comparable quality player along with Gomes.

Imagine, just £29mil ?!?!?!

Silva has played with Carvalho, who isn't a ball winner, but certainly is a DM. Capoue played in a bit of a similar ball winning role as Gana and helped allow Doucoure to carry the ball up the field, but they in essence were both pretty dynamic, more like twin #8s. He was obsessively counter attacking at Olympiakos by several accounts, but not sure about their personnel.

Gana gets a bit slated because he's so good at ball winning, his passing isn't that bad, and he can hold the ball a bit. He wasn't good with his decision making or passing against Liverpool, but he's not the first that has been that way against a Klopp set up.

Gomes and Ndombele would cost over 100M. That's just not going to happen I wouldn't think, not while we have a capable player in Gana.

Silva has played with Carvalho, who isn't a ball winner, but certainly is a DM. Capoue played in a bit of a similar ball winning role as Gana and helped allow Doucoure to carry the ball up the field, but they in essence were both pretty dynamic, more like twin #8s. He was obsessively counter attacking at Olympiakos by several accounts, but not sure about their personnel.

Gana gets a bit slated because he's so good at ball winning, his passing isn't that bad, and he can hold the ball a bit. He wasn't good with his decision making or passing against Liverpool, but he's not the first that has been that way against a Klopp set up.

Gomes and Ndombele would cost over 100M. That's just not going to happen I wouldn't think, not while we have a capable player in Gana.

Of course Carvalho is a DM...like you wrote, not a ball winner. Capoue and Doucoure would alternate from time to time like Viera/Petit with one going forward and the other (capoue mostly) hanging back.

I think Silva would LOVE another box to box player on top of Gomes so he can alternate between DM/CM. As for Ndombele or another of that ilk...i think Gana would go for £30mil maybe a little more...

We would just need to find the additional.

Keep giving Andre the feel good factor and the club showing him love can only help. From being in Catalonia and feeling pressured with everyone staring at him with disappointment to Evertonians falling in love with the Iberian hunk, let's hope we win his heart and mind.

I would imagine a deal is all but in place.

Being happy in your work is more important than success and fame after a bad experience.

Every chance we can provide all 3 moving forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.