2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think in the long term Gana leaving will be a good thing for Silva.

He doesn't really fit in to the formation he wants to play, neither does Sigurdsson.

I think this is true.

If he wants a dynamic 4-3-3 I really don't see how either of them get in the team. Healthy profit on Gueye should allow us to bring in a good replacement for him.

As for Gylfi.......

I think this is true.

If he wants a dynamic 4-3-3 I really don't see how either of them get in the team. Healthy profit on Gueye should allow us to bring in a good replacement for him.

As for Gylfi.......
I do think Sigurdsson has it in his locker to be more box to box, however they kind of need to be able to run with the ball which is one of his weak points. Gana doesn't fit at all because hes not a holder and he's not a box to box.

I don’t think we will let him go unless there is someone lined up to sign immediately after.

Silva thinks he is the best option at the moment, and with the position we are in, he wouldn’t be willing to weaken the squad

If Gana goes to PSG he certainly has my blessing...been a great professional for us since he joined! I can't blame him either, it would be a great move for him, a good profit for us and he'd get chance to taste champions league football. Which to be honest, he won't be getting here anytime soon that's for damn sure. I'd take 30 million quid and get jimmy mac back in the side until summer.

If Gana goes to PSG he certainly has my blessing...been a great professional for us since he joined! I can't blame him either, it would be a great move for him, a good profit for us and he'd get chance to taste champions league football. Which to be honest, he won't be getting here anytime soon that's for damn sure. I'd take 30 million quid and get jimmy mac back in the side until summer.

30 Million really is nothing these days, and he has played Champions league football before.

Problem with McCarthy is he could break down again and we would be screwed.

If the manager was even remotely thinking of selling Gueye and getting James McCarthy to fill his role until the end of the season then McCarthy needs to play against Millwall at the very least but I would say that he would also have been on the bench for the last couple of games.

I don’t think we will let him go unless there is someone lined up to sign immediately after.

Silva thinks he is the best option at the moment, and with the position we are in, he wouldn’t be willing to weaken the squad

From a league perspective I think can lose him and not have a replacement lined up in January. Would rather get a No.1 choice and pay a reasonable fee next summer than either paying over the odds or getting a 2nd or 3rd choice now.

We aren't getting relegated and if we are qualifying for Europe through the league then 7th should be attainable without Gana.

The kicker here is the FA Cup. Real chance to go deep in that competition though winning it would still be a long shot with Chelsea, City, Spurs and Arsenal/United still in the competition. Gana would help our chances here though.

30 Million really is nothing these days, and he has played Champions league football before.

Problem with McCarthy is he could break down again and we would be screwed.
Your right 30 million isn't a lot in the current market...but 30 million for a 29 year old DM who has little to no real passing range is pretty good going IMHO. Jimmy Mac might break down, but you could say that about any player who has had injuries. We have to be realistic...the chances of us finishing seventh are slim and then there's no guarantee seventh will get us Europe anyway. Get Jimmy Mac back in the side and at least see if he can still do it at this level..if he can great we might actually get some of the 13 mil we spent on him back.

Gana is the defensive equivalent of the u13 kid you see in the local league 'hogging' the ball and dribbling through six players.

At the top level of the game its ridiculous, and startling, to see Gana do this.

The way Gana plays ends up being completely at odds with Silva's approach.

What we have is a ridiculous role coupled with a ridiculous approach.

Gana's position and role must be much more defined relative the rest of the team.

At the end of the day Silva hasn't been able to orchestrate and utilise his best defender in the best way.

Did you watch Southampton?

There was a gaping hole in midfield for large periods of the game. In fact the first goal was purely down to said hole in midfield caused by players chasing the ball and not being positionally aware.

So the solution is to make the hole even bigger with a player who is effective enough in his role that PSG want to sign him, but not good enough for us?!

Status
Not open for further replies.