2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

But it's tricky in January. Either punt on some loans for depth....or throw some cash at 1 player of quality.

It's tricky but it's not like we're going for a player to help us stay up or just come to a mid-table team.

We're genuinely in a push for the Champions League.

We've got a brilliant manager - with certain flaws but haven't they all - and are an attractive proposition to play with players like James, DCL, Digne and Richarlison. We can also pay good wages. We're basically an easier sell right now to a player than we ever have been in the PL era.

So it's about doing deals with clubs. That's what a good DoF does. Show our intent.

I'm losing patience mate, really am. The squad is in a sorry state just when it needs to be better. One player changes that. It should have been done in October but if we're getting 4 players at least partially off the books with two of them bringing fees in, it has to be done. Even if kenny doesn't go, we should be bringing an attacker in, as that's 4 attackers let go over the course of the last two windows, with Kean's 70k wages getting paid in full by PSG, Tosun's approx 100k getting paid by Besiktas, Walcott's 120k getting half-paid by S'ton and Bernard off the books completely.

Why wouldn't anybody want 9-goal Wilfried Zaha?

It's not an unreasonable expectation for us to be looking at a player of that quality. Whether it's realistic is a different matter altogether.
A lot of his game is based on his pace and signing players on massive fees/wages with no sell-on value is how we got into the mess we're in now.

I don’t know mate, just presumed it would be sorted out and we wouldn’t allow it to get to the last 6 months of his contract.

I just get the feeling he’s off.

Club leaked through their trusted media that they'd be dealing with it from Jan onwards.

Still seems strange but they basically weren't worried about rushing things either way.

A lot of his game is based on his pace and signing players on massive fees/wages with no sell-on value is how we got into the mess we're in now.

Yeah I fully get that. But there's this idea that Zaha isn't a quality player - he very much is.

Not saying he's who I'd go for right now because of age and cost but would he add a lot to our squad, yes he would.

But like I said, there's other more realistic targets.

The same Zaha who's scored more than Richarlison and Iwobi combined in the league this season (9) and isnt far off DCL in fairness.

Yes I still want him 100%
If Brands spends a huge sum on Zaha he will get slate surely. Much like a classic panic buy from Walsh.

Hmm, personally think he's a bit flash in the pan mate - watched him a fair bit in France, but definitely a player in that mould.

Raphinia - another excellent player, and no I'm not watching the Leeds game, just seen the Leicester opener, but just love to watch that lad. Powerful, skillful runner - bought for £18m and already has created more goals and scored more in 15 league games than Iwobi has in the last season and a half for us.
We rely so much on one player to do it and he's playing badly at the moment. Iwobi is so inconsistent.

I keep repeating it but there's no way anybody can look at Brands' attempts to build the squad and say he's done a good job. He simply hasn't. That's not to say there isn't caveats or that he hasn't done a good job in other areas of the club, though.

Villa signed Martinez and Cash for what £36 million combined?

Saints signed Ings for £20 million

Digne aside he's overspent on every signing - even Walsh signed a bargain in Gana.

We haven't properly recruited players since the days of Moyes. Brands largely has just targetted cast offs from big clubs and sadly many of them lack pace which is what we desperately needed following the crap Walsh left us with.

Status
Not open for further replies.