Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not that. I mean it’s about time the players were made to put the required effort in.

They looked goosed and it’s ace.
...they look close to 'downing tools'...the auguries do not appear fair. I generally rely on Blue Chrimbo to lift us from our funk...but 'The Mikado' Chrimbo panto has put pay to that general sanctuary. As I say : the auguries do not appear fair.

Where are we getting all this "more intense" training and "more interested" than previous managers nonsense from? is it just from the random bits of PR puff the Club are putting out?

They know the burst Spanish knacker is hated, so are the PR lies just more targeted at selling the idea of RaFail to us rather than focusing on the unity of previous seasons?

Our pre-season was fantastic under Carlo last year, we won our first 7 games for Christ's sake.
Is the "more intense" Beneathus going to repeat that? Not a chance.

Last edited:
I'm in the same place now with Everton as I was when Moyes came in back in 2002 after years of drift: I want to see organisation, hard work and team spirit again.

The Kendall Mk III and Smith years nearly finished me. The Last few years under Koeman / Allardyce / Silva / Ancelotti have had the same effect.

I just want commitment and some coherent plan. And we are in a better position now than we were under Moyes' early period to consolidate on any fruit from such a successfully implemented back-to-basics plan.
...aye, there's the rub: our brave lionhearts lack the former, and will 'down tools' at the merest hint of the latter...too much performance pressure you see. Everton doesn't do pressure very well

Where are we getting all this "more intense" training and "more interested" than previous managers nonsense from? is it just from the random bits of PR puff the Club are putting out?

They know the burst Spanish knacker is hated, so are the PR lies just more targeted at selling the idea of RaFail to us rather than focusing on the unity of previous seasons?

Our pre-season was fantastic under Carlo last year, we won out first 7 games for Christ's sake.
Yes the training vid has been edited very well to get the goodison faithful on Benitez side. If he has any chance of succeeding here then he has to hit the ground running from the first minute of the season.

Our pre-season was fantastic under Carlo last year, we won our first 7 games for Christ's sake.
Those first seven games included Salford and Fleetwood and unfortunately the season lasts much longer than seven games.

Just putting it out there that is all.

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez was offered the chance to coach Spain at the World Cup in Russia - and to remain as Magpies manager at the same time.

The 58-year-old was approached by the Spanish Football Association on the eve of this summer’s major tournament in Russia after Julen Lopetegui was sacked for accepting the Real Madrid job.

Initially Spain hoped to appoint Benitez on a short-term deal for the World Cup, something which Newcastle are believed to have been broadly receptive to.
Also putting out what the president of the RFEF himself said. Sounds like they politely told him they were not interested and proceeded to laugh their heads off.

"When I sacked Julen I immediately called Hierro and told him I didn’t want to make any changes. Two days later a letter arrived from Newcastle saying ‘Are you interested in our coach? He’s at your disposition.’ We said thanks but no,” Rubiales told Spanish radio station Cadena COPE on Tuesday.

“We would have never done that, we couldn’t hire Benitez because it would have been acting in the same way for which we reproached Julen.”

My issue with Benitez was never really the football. While he's a loathsome individual as well, I am quite happy to park that. To me the big warning lights were how committed he would be at the age he is at, and secondly how much of a long term vision he would have (or would we be straddled with more big name, older players).

On the former question, he does look to be really interested in the job. His effort level seems better than others we have had and he seems to really want to succeed. So I can't really knock him there. On the latter, it's far too early to tell yet.

As for the style of football, I'm in favour of him doing something different. That's how Atletico Madrid win the league. They don't try and outdo Barca/Real Madrid on half the wage bill. In the same way if we try to outdo City's pure football, or Liverpool intense kick and rush with about half the wage bill we are destined to lose. You have to try and find a different way, and be the best at it. To a degree Leicester have embraced that with Rodgers, who have a lot of technical players who are fast.

I have said multiple times, while Ancelotti did well last season, we left a lot of points in the bag, by moving away from a system that worked (the 4 cb's) to something more aesthetically pleasing. Had we have kept the 4 cb's for as many games as possible, we would have likely finished 3rd. I don't think Benitez would have any truck or ego in sticking to something that works, even if it's boring or unpopular. I actually think had he managed us the 2nd half of last season we would have got top 6 and probably top 4.

None of this means we have the 3/4th best squad as we clearly don't. But you don't always have to have. Football as with life is about finding the best way to arrange your chess pieces on the board and getting the most from them. Liverpool are not the 1st or 2nd best squad in the league, but they finished 1st and 2nd. That's the art.

I think this team suits playing defensive, tactically aware football. If we add 2 or 3 more players with a bit more power to help us on the break (like Dumfries) and become well drilled defensively I think there is room for further growth. The one thing we looked good at last season was maintaining defensive shape.
I think whether you like Benitez, the man,or not, give Benitez, the manager, a fair chance to show what he can do.

Those first seven games included Salford and Fleetwood and unfortunately the season lasts much longer than seven games.
Yes, but preseason is all about setting you up to hit the ground running for those first games.
The Carlos preseason last year can not be seen as anything but an unmitigated success.

The narrative that when a manager leaves, he and everything he did becomes terrible, is absolute nonsense.

I know Evertonians aren't best pleased with Benitez, and there may be similarities with Moyes, but fair's fair he is several leagues above. No way Moyes takes that team to two CL finals, and recruits Torres Alonso Mascherano et al.

Who cares how we started when you look at how we finished, ran off the park by relegated sheff utd.

I'd rather us a slower start and finish strong than the drivel we were served up second half of last season

Ive got an odd feeling we might do well with him. The hipsters will forever moan about his style of football (or anyone who manages Everton and isn’t the next shiny media obsession) but the majority of the premier league is of such variable quality that if you can put in place an organised defensive system, have players working hard, and have an ounce of quality in the key positions you can win a good number of games. Ancelotti even had us in a decent position for most of the season based on nothing more than a solid defence, good set pieces and a half decent striker.

If Benitez can keep the defensive solidity, have Gbamin Docuoure Allan fit, and maybe get some extra quality in key positions then we might see something a whole lot better than the same players we’ve seen for the past few years sauntering around not putting any effort in,
From the clips we have seen there seems to be a good intensity to the training and also there seems to be a good atmosphere between the players.
James seemed to be relaxed and training well as did Moise Kean. I thought Iwobi was putting in huge effort and really every player has the opportunity to impress a new manager.
I am sure a couple have been told already they can find new clubs but we really have no idea what is happening behind the scenes there.

What is clear is that Benitez, so far, is certainly a hands on manager. As a player with ambition to play for the club it must add a few per cent onto their effort if the manager is directing training himself.

Who cares how we started when you look at how we finished, ran off the park by relegated sheff utd.

I'd rather us a slower start and finish strong than the drivel we were served up second half of last season

Who let you out of your Tax Evasion/Human Trafficking thread?

My post was answering those raving wildly about the 'intensity'of training' based on a few minutes of PR footage, who are convinced the burst Spanich knacker is already doing a much better job than Carlo in a desperate bid to justify their cheering on an unrepentant Kopite manager.

I will be more than happy to eat these words after Eight straight wins at the beginning of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.