Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced he ever had it Eggs. Certainly not under Ancelotti or Benitez, and questionable under Silva.

Baffles me this view. You're not convinced Brands ever had power/accountability over transfers?!

As I've said earlier, we paid a few bob for Ben Godfrey who Ancelotti admitted he hadn't heard of. (Ancelotti wanted Gabriel Magalhães). Who made that Ben Godfrey signing?!

And there's no chance Ancelotti was arguing to bring in Doucoure who Brands wanted long before Ancelotti arrived. Who made that signing?

Amazing how the view of "Poor Marcel Brands, he isn't allowed to do his job" continues. If his name was Mark Brands and he didn't look the part - indeed if he looked like Steve Walsh - he'd never get that treatment.

The fella has been here since 2018 and since January 2019, when he was promoted to the board;

“Our approach now is to have a Director of Football with a broader remit, responsible for the whole footballing strategy at the Club, rather than just player recruitment.

"Marcel is now responsible, and accountable, for delivering the long-term, holistic, football strategy and principles, from Academy through to the first team.
“Marcel has now begun his work on delivering the cub’s long-term, permanent football strategy, working closely with the Academy Director (Joel Waldron) and Head of Football Strategy (Richard Battle).”

Very clear.

Credit him with the good, as well as the bad.

Baffles me this view.

As I've said earlier, we paid a few bob for Ben Godfrey who Ancelotti admitted he hadn't heard of. Who made that signing?!

And there's no chance Ancelotti was arguing to bring in Doucoure who Brands wanted long before Ancelotti arrived. Who made that signing?

Amazing how the view of "Poor Marcel Brands, he isn't allowed to do his job" continues. If his name was Mark Brands and he didn't look the part - he'd never get that treatment.

The fella has been here since 2018 and since January 2019, when he was promoted to the board;

“Our approach now is to have a Director of Football with a broader remit, responsible for the whole footballing strategy at the Club, rather than just player recruitment.

"Marcel is now responsible, and accountable, for delivering the long-term, holistic, football strategy and principles, from Academy through to the first team.
“Marcel has now begun his work on delivering the cub’s long-term, permanent football strategy, working closely with the Academy Director (Joel Waldron) and Head of Football Strategy (Richard Battle).”

Very clear.

So what is that?

Because looking from the outside, it looks like we've changed tack at least a couple of times - Therefore rendering his position completely pointless

So what is that?

Because looking from the outside, it looks like we've changed tack at least a couple of times - Therefore rendering his position completely pointless

Since Brands was appointed to the board in January 2019, what tact (around long-term, permanent football strategy) have we changed?

Two managerial appointments, the most established coaches we could have brought in.

How long-term is long-term to you?

….possibly, but the fact he eventually came in suggests Brands still had some sway at that stage.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.[P...r-hearing-silva-wants-abdoulaye-doucoure/?amp
I'm sure Brands is involved in some way,but it's difficult to gauge how much and for what. I suppose it's our own fault for thinking he would be signing the best of young continental talent at bargain prices.

Since Brands was appointed to the board in January 2019, what tact (around long-term, permanent football strategy) have we changed?

Two managerial appointments, the most established coaches we could have brought in.

Since he's been here the academy has gone under some rather large changes which is certainly a long-term strategy.

The contract that let Ancelotti walk foc was certainly not long-term.

Starting to sound a bit like you are jealous that contract Marcel can wear tight fitting turtlenecks and ripped jeans. It's okay it's a tough look to pull off... ?

We started buying older footballers with no sell-on value as a way of trying to gatecrash the european places and placate our 'prestige' manager for one

The contract that let Ancelotti walk foc was certainly not long-term.

If Real Madrid come calling for any manager, or player - they're leaving Everton.

The contract would only allow compensation. At the time of that contract discussion - we had a choice between Carlo Ancelotti, who suddenly become available - or David Moyes.

Free agent Carlo Ancelotti had the upper hand in that contract discussion.

The whole point of a DoF model is to dictate longevity/model.

If a manager decides he wants off, or the clubs DoF/owner decides he's off - you replace with a manager who'll continue the project the DoF/owner have in place.

They did that - they replaced one dinosaur of the game with another. The highest profile of manager they could bring in at that time. That's evidence of 'long term football strategy'

Baffles me this view. You're not convinced Brands ever had power/accountability over transfers?!

As I've said earlier, we paid a few bob for Ben Godfrey who Ancelotti admitted he hadn't heard of. (Ancelotti wanted Gabriel Magalhães). Who made that Ben Godfrey signing?!

Amazing how the view of "Poor Marcel Brands, he isn't allowed to do his job" continues. If his name was Mark Brands and he didn't look the part - indeed if he looked like Steve Walsh - he'd never get that treatment.

Very clear.

I do think there is an element of him overruled by Moshiri on things Brands should (we are told) have total control over, which is possibly why we have had inconsistent recruitment strategy. But, then it's on Brands to put his marker down and demand greater control or leave.

I never feel like I can fully judge Brands until that influence of Moshiri is no longer there, but I'm not sure he will ever stop wanting input.

We started buying older footballers with no sell-on value as a way of trying to gatecrash the european places and placate our 'prestige' manager for one

Who are those players?

When did that suddenly start under Brands?

Rodriguez on a free?
Allan?

Hardly a sudden change of tact that. Delph was before Ancelotti at £8-£10m wasn't he.

He also brought in the likes of Godfrey, Nkounkou, Doucoure when Ancelotti was here.

Also, Josh King - was he to appease the 'prestige' manager too? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.