Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benitez finished 10th the season after winning the championship. Bruce highest was 12th.
Also check the differences in goal difference. In his last season at Newcastle, they conceded less goals than Manchester United and Arsenal....
That's why the geordies would have him back.

The man is capable. Face it.

Newcastle fans love Benitez because he was a big name manager that fluttered his eyelashes at them at a time when they were used to having Joe Kinnear and Steve McLaren.

Objectively he didn’t pull up any trees, and they were an awful watch. How about mentioning the goals scored rather than conceded? They were involved in less goals than any team in the entire football league.

This season is going to be utterly grim.

I have no stake in Benitez as I never wanted him as manager I was on board the Galtier train - but he's here and deserves a chance as much as those who have come before him even more so if funds are tight and he cant be adequately backed.

To want him sacked/chased out via mutiny in the stands does nothing for us in our current situation especially when the season hasn't even started.
He really didn't deserve the chance to manage us.

That is kind of the crux of the problem isn't it?

If he finishes above 10th he's done an astonishing job.

We both know it won't be seen as such though.
Anywhere between 7th and 12th would be pretty much par I reckon.

We came 10th last season and should have came higher if it wasn't for the us falling apart towards for end. At this point the squad has very slightly improved I would say.

Anywhere between 7th and 12th would be pretty much par I reckon.

We came 10th last season and should have came higher if it wasn't for the us falling apart towards for end. At this point the squad has very slightly improved I would say.

I know Ancelotti gets retrospective stick on here because of what happened, but to be honest he did well to get us to where we finished last year, because that side couldn't do anything offensively. Gray/Townsend are very much punts that could flop entirely, so while we're marginally improved I'd say anything above 10th is not just par but doing very well.

Of course, if we actually sign some players in the two or so weeks to go then I'll re-assess what his minimum aim should be, but I can't see it being any higher than 8th as clearly we're not revamping this squad too much, unfortunately.

I know Ancelotti gets retrospective stick on here because of what happened, but to be honest he did well to get us to where we finished last year, because that side couldn't do anything offensively. Gray/Townsend are very much punts that could flop entirely, so while we're marginally improved I'd say anything above 10th is not just par but doing very well.

Of course, if we actually sign some players in the two or so weeks to go then I'll re-assess what his minimum aim should be, but I can't see it being any higher than 8th as clearly we're not revamping this squad too much, unfortunately.
How can the squad be better but finishing in the same league position be "doing very well"? That makes no sense, either we are better and therefore should do better, or we are not and can expect to do less well. Unless, of course, the other variable, the manager, isn't as good?

How can the squad be better but finishing in the same league position be "doing very well"? That makes no sense, either we are better and therefore should do better, or we are not and can expect to do less well. Unless, of course, the other variable, the manager, isn't as good?

We have a right back with no legs another year older, and I don't think the squad is necessarily better as the quality of Gray/Townsend is... debatable. Are they an upgrade on Bernard? We'll see.

If we sign a right back of first team quality and two or three others, then you can argue Benitez's minimum aim is top eight. Right now, with that squad and the glaring issues it has, his minimum aim is top ten.

Newcastle fans love Benitez because he was a big name manager that fluttered his eyelashes at them at a time when they were used to having Joe Kinnear and Steve McLaren.

Objectively he didn’t pull up any trees, and they were an awful watch. How about mentioning the goals scored rather than conceded? They were involved in less goals than any team in the entire football league.

They like him because he is a symbol against Ashley. I was chatting to one of my geordie mates last night about it. He said the football was crap but he would have him back as they love him and they don't have any expectations of nice football as their expectations have been destroyed by their owners.

He did say, our expectations should be higher as we have a decent squad and are actually backed, even if the backing is extremely misguided.

They like him because he is a symbol against Ashley. I was chatting to one of my geordie mates last night about it. He said the football was crap but he would have him back as they love him and they don't have any expectations of nice football as their expectations have been destroyed by their owners.

He did say, our expectations should be higher as we have a decent squad and are actually backed, even if the backing is extremely misguided.

Alas, our squad is pretty crap and full of players who will disappear when the chips are down.

Tbf could change that to Everton and Ancelotti….

We have a right back with no legs another year older, and I don't think the squad is necessarily better as the quality of Gray/Townsend is... debatable. Are they an upgrade on Bernard? We'll see.

If we sign a right back of first team quality and two or three others, then you can argue Benitez's minimum aim is top eight. Right now, with that squad and the glaring issues it has, his minimum aim is top ten.

Aim for me is top 10 but ultimately its a transition season as long as we are 12th+ its a case of judging the following season which would be the acid test.

Status
Not open for further replies.