2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Come on forever, what you gonna need off him this season to win you over?

Wouldn't say he hasn't won me over but I do think he doesn't get involved much anymore in terms of pressing - he used to run himself ragged chasing down balls now he seems to just do a casual stroll.

Likely a tactical thing to keep him in and around the box but if he could do a mix of the two it would be invaluable to the side.

15 out of the 47 goals he's scored for Everton with his head. Almost one third.

Is that proportion a good sign, or does he overly rely on crosses?

Genuinely I dont know what proportion other PL strikers have of head to foot goals scored, but I always feel there's an imbalace with DCL - not literally, as he scores with both feet and head - but just maybe an over reliance on crosses to get his goal totals up.

Yes, they all count etc, but does it mean we are forced to play overwhelmingly in a certain way, attacking wise?

Genuinely I dont know what proportion other PL strikers have of head to foot goals scored, but I always feel there's an imbalace with DCL - not literally, as he scores with both feet and head - but just maybe an over reliance on crosses to get his goal totals up.

Yes, they all count etc, but does it mean we are forced to play overwhelmingly in a certain way, attacking wise?
crossing is easier to do than through balls simply because we don't have the creative players for it, Also his leap is absolutely dangerous it would be absurd to not abuse it, He's lucky to get slotted through once in about 5 games with our players.

There's nothing wrong with playing to our strengths. We look like creating chances when we move the ball forward quickly to our strikers. Lots of teams are poor defensively in the air as well.

We can't be one dimensional, but it would be mad not to use your strengths.

crossing is easier to do than through balls simply because we don't have the creative players for it, Also his leap is absolutely dangerous it would be absurd to not abuse it, He's lucky to get slotted through once in about 5 games with our players.
But that's my point: because we have such a prolific header of the ball do we get sucked into that game and fail to mix up our line of attack making us predictable against better quality teams than Southampton etc?

There's nothing wrong with playing to our strengths. We look like creating chances when we move the ball forward quickly to our strikers. Lots of teams are poor defensively in the air as well.

We can't be one dimensional, but it would be mad not to use your strengths.
I'm not really complaining about scoring headed goals; I'm asking do we overly rely on swinging crosses in because DCL climbs so well.

Absolutely loved his goal today. Put real quality in the box and there is few defenders these days who want to put their head where it hurts. Brilliant.

A third, by definition, is nowhere near a majority. He scores twice as many with his feet. There’s no argument to be made that he relies overly on headers.

A third, by definition, is nowhere near a majority. He scores twice as many with his feet. There’s no argument to be made that he relies overly on headers.
I didn't say he scored the majority with his head. My questions were how his large proportion of goals scored with his head compares with other PL strikers and whether it forces us to play more crosses than play through opponents.

I didn't say he scored the majority with his head. My questions were how his large proportion of goals scored with his head compares with other PL strikers and whether it forces us to play more crosses than play through opponents.
And I don’t think 32% is an especially large proportion. Especially for a guy who leaps higher than anyone I’ve ever seen on a football pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.