New Everton Stadium Discussion

I only included their construction costs because that's all that really applies to us as we don't have anything like the number of houses to clear, and furthermore is already far in excess, because the lower Bullens is much smaller than their mainstand and their
new stand is essentially an addition of 2 new tiers including more boxes and lounge space than we'll have at BMD in its entirety.

Or I could've easily just quoted the costs for similar extensions at Cardiff or Sunderland or Newcastle., or any number of others... which were
significantly cheaper..... or indeed the new Anfield Rd, (which I did mention(.

Tbh.... I could've extrapolated further and said we could've had 60k+ at GP for £150-250m dependent on where capacity was added etc.
Dont forget that they forced people out of their homes as well..

Dont forget that they forced people out of their homes as well..

Like we did at the Gwladys St in the 1930s and at the Park end in the 90s. Could we now say that they kicked out for nothing?

Fact is, GP was there a long time before any residents and you could say is historically and commercially far more important than a handful of terraced houses. Many thousands of which have been demolished in Liverpool. Furthermore you might find that the owners might appreciate the windfall of being offered 50% over market value which would still only amount to a couple of million on the Bullens side tops.

When BMD is built and lit up , i wont give 2 shiny shi5tes how much it cost compared to anyone else's ground.
Well if being lit up or not makes a major difference in your assessment, you probably won't be that bothered..... if it means we have to find £20m per yr more just to pay the interest on the loan for the next 10 yrs then you might feel differently.

Liverpool added 2 new tiers at the back of their 1906 mainstand for a construction cost of just £74m adding nearly 9000 seats and a whole corporate tier. They are about to do something similar at the Anfield Rd end adding another 7-8000 for less.

This they had to do over 7-8 floors. The much lower raked lower Bullens wouldn't need anything like that volume of construction. Clearing 16-20 houses on Muriel and Diana Streets would probably be enough for right of light requirements.... so I think you can get an awful lot for that.... especially when you're only having build 15-20k new seats to pass BMDs capacity. Cost is precisely why most large clubs have favoured redevelopment were possible.

Dont forget, we're spending £100m just to prep BMD. Liverpool completely transformed their very old stand for less than that!

I know what I would have preferred to do. For all the money spent on Anfield it'll always be in Anfield. It's not it even on a main road to anywhere. Goodison is on the road to Ormskirk and Preston and is far better located for public transport, too. The money spent by that lot brings to mind shining excreta. Ultimately they should have moved to a brand new stadium of 70,000 30 years ago. Thank God they didn't. Next to Speke airport would have been handy for their fans.

Took a look at BMD today from the top of the HQ......

Attachments

• IMG20210910104453~2.jpg
    IMG20210910104453~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 193

You can only go by the ones recently completed. The Cardiff City stadium extension was a meccano job, it was more or less built in mind, adding to the existing hundred year old structures of Goodison is something else. It would be cheaper to knock it down and start again.

The new Anfield Road end is costing 60 million for an extra 7000 seats and City's end was 60m for 6000. Both had the land already. If it was purely down to money we would go and build a Cardiff/Sunderland type stadium on a brownfield site. How much would the council want for just the school for starters?

The Anfield one includes removal of existing upper tier and roof and reprofiling the existing lower tier. It will also include a corporate lite section and again will start at a higher level than required on the Bullens for instance. There is also very little overlap of tiers meaning there is also a greater depth of roof per seat than we require which adds costs.
While it is a 7k net increase, it is nearer to 8.5k new seat construction. Regardless.... £60m for essentially a new 13k stand is pretty cost effective and will pay for itself in just a few seasons.

The school is slightly set back from the road and could be partially incorporated in a joint venture or community led scheme. It has also been earmarked for redevelopment for well over a decade.

Cardiff is slightly lower spec, but not massively.... the main difference is that the contruction volume of building above a smaller stand is substantially less. Structural elements are proportionally lighter and volumes of concrete for floor space and vertical transport are all dramatically reduced. That would apply to us also meaning greater value and quality can be achieved for less.

The Anfield one includes removal of existing upper tier and roof and reprofiling the existing lower tier. It will also include a corporate lite section and again will start at a higher level than required on the Bullens for instance. There is also very little overlap of tiers meaning there is also a greater depth of roof per seat than we require which adds costs.
While it is a 7k net increase, it is nearer to 8.5k new seat construction. Regardless.... £60m for essentially a new 13k stand is pretty cost effective and will pay for itself in just a few seasons.

The school is slightly set back from the road and could be partially incorporated in a joint venture or community led scheme. It has also been earmarked for redevelopment for well over a decade.

Cardiff is slightly lower spec, but not massively.... the main difference is that the contruction volume of building above a smaller stand is substantially less. Structural elements are proportionally lighter and volumes of concrete for floor space and vertical transport are all dramatically reduced. That would apply to us also meaning greater value and quality can be achieved for less.

irrelevant now as we are building on the docks

A rebuild of Goodison was never a feasible option with the disruption and possible legal challenges and delays for kicking people out there homes….not to mention the school abd that’s just for starters.

Doing it on the cheap, doesn't really do it for me Tom, think, location, location, location. Btw, their last loft extension had some absolutely horrendous obstructed views, I'm not sure how many, but there was one area, admittedly only small, where the hatchback of Notre Dam, would have had to be squeezed into. Don't know how to do links to get the picture up, but it was awful.

Liverpool added 2 new tiers at the back of their 1906 mainstand for a construction cost of just £74m adding nearly 9000 seats and a whole corporate tier. They are about to do something similar at the Anfield Rd end adding another 7-8000 for less.

This they had to do over 7-8 floors. The much lower raked lower Bullens wouldn't need anything like that volume of construction. Clearing 16-20 houses on Muriel and Diana Streets would probably be enough for right of light requirements.... so I think you can get an awful lot for that.... especially when you're only having build 15-20k new seats to pass BMDs capacity. Cost is precisely why most large clubs have favoured redevelopment were possible.

Dont forget, we're spending £100m just to prep BMD. Liverpool completely transformed their very old stand for less than that!
We don’t own the property behind Bullens Road. The Bullens Road stand is a more complicated structure than the Liverpool main stand and it is integrated with the Gwladys Street Stand.
Most of seats underneath the tier are obstructed views. Liverpool managed to build their stand whilst keeping the stand open because it had no tiers. I doubt we could.
In the end, those stands are knackered. It is not just about expansion. They haven’t really been fit for purpose for a good while.