2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate you're desperate to put years on him and bang this age drum. If by the time he's 32 and we've had two years out him showing fight and good stats then he's been a free fee signing bargain.
I dont care if its sideshow bob playing. If you're cutting it then thats all that matters.
All I'm saying is that signing players in their 30s is a terrible model for a football club. Four out of our five signings were in that category this year. It troubles me. Townsend is playing well and I hope it continues, but there are no guarantees, look at Coleman.

Not true, the majority weren’t for his appointment, but were prepared to give him the benefit.
On this point, I know it's off topic for the thread.

But I just wanted to say that my first thought last night was for those fans who have pulled kids from school, taken leave or swapped shifts to travel down to watch that. I get not wanting to risk players to injury, but it was the first mis-step by Benitez for me, by not giving that game a proper shake.

As to Rodriguez, I did all the fume when he jetted off before the season ended so don't want to go full hypocrite now and use him as a stick to beat the manager with.

You know as well as I do that a traditional right winger, what Townsend is, and a forward who plays on the right of a front three is not the same type of player. I'm sure you will disagree, however, for effect.
if the Guardian says tomorrow 'Everton have replaced James in the side with the signing in the summer of Townsend' will you be bent over your keyboard shouting 'No they havent!'

I'm not even sure that Ancelotti would've found a place in the team for James very often had he stayed. It started gloriously but teams learn and adapt very quickly in this league and within 10 games his creativity was being almost completely negated by the opportunities his game gave others to exploit. I don't think it's a coincidence he was mostly awol by the end of last season.

We definitely don't need a like for like replacement of that.

Almost always team trumps individuals, we just need to sign the new Stephen Pienaar. He'll have just endured a difficult season somewhere in Germany I expect.

It's going to take some blues quite a long time to dislodge their tongues from James' ring I fear.

The way he was allowed that special treatment from the club last year was despicable - what kind of a culture was that creating ffs.

What the James fanboys are still struggling to come to terms with is that that he is a complete relic in European football. No well-run club wants a player like him anymore, and that's why he's retiring in Qatar aged 30.
Iwobi says hi.

James is life.

So 5 games in with an injury crisis & £1.5m budget all the fume is "giving him the benefit?" Whilst we sit 6th in the table?

And we wonder why no manager wants to touch this job with a barge pole with such laidback patient fans.

Yet again you fall back on your default defence with the 1.5 mil spend.

Even with the injuries we have, he still had the players at his disposal last night to beat a bang average Championship team and progress to the last 16 of a cup.

Yet again you fall back on your default defence with the 1.5 mil spend.

Even with the injuries we have, he still had the players at his disposal last night to beat a bang average Championship team and progress to the last 16 of a cup.
£1.5 mil spend ....as if.
We had a £32 mil bid for Luis Diaz rejected cos we left it too late.
Yet some believe it.

The wages "saved" from James have offset what we shelled out for Rondon & Begovic.
Terrible business.

Status
Not open for further replies.