2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got 12 more points under Ancelotti last season than in our Fat Sam season
And two places lower points in this case did not fetch in revenue our league position did .......:)
plus Carlo was going to achieve most things long term - he got all the funds - then the rat cut & run I would feel desperately sorry for any new Manager in our predicament now under FFP rules......
RB had the foresight to make two good cheap signings - Brands has let too many fringe players go we were that much in the mire his head should roll - so we promote him to Director .....

Last edited:
And two places lower points in this case did not fetch in revenue our league position did .......:)
I know Joey.

We should have done loads better last season given the start of the season we had. 2nd at Xmas etc. Second half of the season in those home games cost us massively. If we'd got 6 more points from any of Burnley, Sheff Utd, Villa, Newcastle at home, we'd have been in Europe and that would really have helped us. But it didn't happen.

Point was, 59 points is still actually a good total. Now, I'm not saying if Rafael doesn't get 59 points he's failed. Not at all. If we get 6th on 52 points then that's great, it's an improvement. Just saying, we actually did accumulate quite a lot of points last season.

Let’s see if his plan works

He is betting it all on his national team performance

but he is so injury prone that I doubt that he can make enough noise there to get out of Qatar

How are the Colombian media and fans taking the news of him moving to a small time league in Qatar ? Disappointment or just happy that he will play football again ?

I know Joey.

We should have done loads better last season given the start of the season we had. 2nd at Xmas etc. Second half of the season in those home games cost us massively. If we'd got 6 more points from any of Burnley, Sheff Utd, Villa, Newcastle at home, we'd have been in Europe and that would really have helped us. But it didn't happen.

Point was, 59 points is still actually a good total. Now, I'm not saying if Rafael doesn't get 59 points he's failed. Not at all. If we get 6th on 52 points then that's great, it's an improvement. Just saying, we actually did accumulate quite a lot of points last season.
Points need to be very good , but the position we finish fetches the revenue in ... plus RB as a mountain to climb more that Carlo ever had he had massive funds from day one ... RB has been under financial constraints from day one ......

Yes it's called being aloof and not talking to players.
You can imagine that it works a treat.

Worked for Brian Clough but that was a long time ago and whether its right or wrong modern players just won't tolerate that approach.

We've gone from soft Carlo to dinosaur Benitez.

What a club.
Yes I am having to imagine that. He clearly talks to the players a lot. Read the reports of the players themselves - they say he's personable and human but constantly, relentlessly at each individual to improve them. If anything, over-communicative.

Did you see the interview with Townsend after the Burnley game? It showed Benitez at the final whistle with his arm around a beaming Townsend after his worldie, telling him how he could improve his defending or something! Townsend was comfortable joking about that on live TV. Doesn't suggest to me at all any rift or aloofness between manager and player.

Points need to be very good , but the position we finish fetches the revenue in ... plus RB as a mountain to climb more that Carlo ever had he had massive funds from day one ... RB has been under financial constraints from day one ......
I wouldn't say massive funds.

We spent £60m fees last summer on 4 players.

In 2019, under Silva, we spent approx £119m on Delph, Iwobi, Gbamin, Kean, Gomes, Lossl. We sold about 64m worth, so a net spend of around £55m anyway.

We also spent £80m in summer of 2018 on fees alone, and handed huge wages to Mina and Bernard

Obviously everything is massive in comparison to £1.7m, but the players brought in in 2020 and 2018 aren't really the issue. It's that close to circa £55m net spend (£119m total spend) in the summer of 2019 that has done us in.Because none of those players have been worth it.

You're not allowed to count points under Silva as being accumulated by Fat Sam - he is/was a disaster Joey.
Exactly a disaster that came two places higher than Carlo - who spent a fortune on wages signings all looked good for 1/3 of the season - then we looked like a relegation side... the he left a sinking ship....
James the facts came out unfit & on £220, 000 per week unsustainable ....

Status
Not open for further replies.