Everton January 2022 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last window I guess he was but the dross before was on brand's watch. No need to have two cocking it up if benitez does that is - too early to say. When he does get decent money to spend that will be the test

…he nominates players but the Manager has to authorise. Ancelotti is on record as saying he didn’t know Doucoure but he sanctioned the signing, so I think we can assume Brands suggested it. The likes of James and Allan appear to be Ancelotti’s, folk on here seem to know Iwobi and Tosun were directly acquired by Moshiri.

If Brands was a DoF in the true sense of the role he’d be accountable for all signings. Historically I thought he was but he clearly isn’t. The transfer process is a mess.

Contracts expiring 2022
Delph
Sig
Tosun
Kenny
Begovic

Lonergan

Contracts expiring 2023
Rondon
Coleman
Townsend
Davies
Mina
Branthwaite
Allan
Doucoure + 1 year club option

Contracts expiring 2024
Pickford
Richarlison
Iwobi
Gomes
Gbamin
Gray + 1 year club option

It looks like next summer we'll need to extend a few contracts which may well eat up a large amount of the savings made on the out of contract players.
There's nobody in the 2022 group who will be getting extended. Not a single one.

Contracts expiring 2022
Delph
Sig
Tosun
Kenny
Begovic
Lonergan

Contracts expiring 2023
Rondon
Coleman
Townsend
Davies
Mina
Branthwaite
Allan
Doucoure + 1 year club option

Contracts expiring 2024
Pickford
Richarlison
Iwobi
Gomes
Gbamin
Gray + 1 year club option

It looks like next summer we'll need to extend a few contracts which may well eat up a large amount of the savings made on the out of contract players.
If we extend Mina, & Doucoure. By 2 yrs next summer taking them to 2025 and Allan by one to 2024. We’d save by my maths about 11mil a year. Obviously the extra wages wouid eat into that. But it’s a way of saving in that first summer. Probably not a great idea on older players.

Godfrey is probably the only young player we could do,

If we extend Mina, & Doucoure. By 2 yrs next summer taking them to 2025 and Allan by one to 2024. We’d save by my maths about 11mil a year. Obviously the extra wages wouid eat into that. But it’s a way of saving in that first summer. Probably not a great idea on older players.

Godfrey is probably the only young player we could do,

Couple of things:

1: If we extend players contracts then we'll need to improve their deals unless we can negotiate well.

2: By extending, tbe transfer fee we paid for them is then split again.

E.g Allan's/Doucoures 3 year deals t £22mil would be £44mil, or £14.66mil a year. If next summer we extend Allan's + trigger Doucoures then it becomes £7.33mil to put on the books for each.

In theory that frees up £7.33 mil for us next summer which when amortised over a 5 year contract would mean a £37mil signing.

3: If we arent going to extend or the player doesnt want to then its imperative we sell. Brands has not been made responsible for being inept at selling players. The squad isnt far from being his own now and he simply cant continue letting them run their contracts down.

GK: Pickford (2024)
RB:
CB: Mina (2023) / Branthwaite (2023)
CB: Godfrey (2025)
LB: Digne (2025)
CM: Doucoure (2023+1)
CM: Allan (2023)
LW: Gray (2024+1)
AM: Richarlison (2023)
RW:
CF: DCL (2025)

With James leaving we should be able to extend some of these deals and free up transfer fees ready for next summer.

Couple of things:

1: If we extend players contracts then we'll need to improve their deals unless we can negotiate well.

E.g Allan's/Doucoures 3 year deals t £22mil would be £44mil, or £14.66mil a year. If next summer we extend Allan's + trigger Doucoures then it becomes £7.33mil to put on the books for each.

In theory that frees up £7.33 mil for us next summer which when amortised over a 5 year contract would mean a £37mil signing.

3: If we arent going to extend or the player doesnt want to then its imperative we sell. Brands has not been made responsible for being inept at selling players. The squad isnt far from being his own now and he simply cant continue letting them run their contracts down.

RB:
RW:

With James leaving we should be able to extend some of these deals and free up transfer fees ready for next summer.
Thats not how it works.

Couple of things:

RB:
RW:

How the club spread the liabilities in a contract must be related to the payment terms? If you have to pay the full value up front, then that must go straight on the PL account surely because it is capital straight out of the business.

I know you can spread depreciation over a few years, but expenditure hits when it hits.

Sounds like Senor Benitez is expecting to strengthen in January. "We know what we need" and "we need to be ready" give the impression of a man on a mission. Given the absolute state of the squad, I for one welcome this approach over the "There is no value in January so I prefer to sit it out and shop for skinnny jeans instead" strategy that we've become used to. That latter approach would be tolerable if the same imposter was actually getting value in the summer...

…he nominates players but the Manager has to authorise. Ancelotti is on record as saying he didn’t know Doucoure but he sanctioned the signing, so I think we can assume Brands suggested it. The likes of James and Allan appear to be Ancelotti’s, folk on here seem to know Iwobi and Tosun were directly acquired by Moshiri.

If Brands was a DoF in the true sense of the role he’d be accountable for all signings. Historically I thought he was but he clearly isn’t. The transfer process is a mess.
It sounds like a collaborative process. This is what Ancellotti said about Doucoure that you referred to:

"When we started to talk about the transfer window, Doucoure was on the list of the club. He was not on my list, but we talked together and we both agreed to sign him".

Our model seems to be that both manager and DoF have to jointly agree on a signing, and there is some logic to that as neither can go awol and start bringing in players that the other doesn't want.

I find suggestions that Brands has no say in who we sign absolutely preposterous. Brands has a direct line to the club's accounting and sensitive information on budgets and what leeway we have on contracts that we can offer etc. The manager is clearly empowered to choose their own targets but Brands has to authorise them and ensure that our budget can accommodate them.

He absolutely is accountable for all signings because even if they aren't his recommendations, he will negotiate the price and determine the contract so he is absolutely open to scrutiny for every single signing we've made since he's been here - the good, the bad and the truly ugly. My simple theory is that he's rubbish at his job and happy to go with the suggestions of very experienced managers. He brought in many more players that could be considered 'his picks' when Silva (very inexperienced and fresh off being sacked by Watford) was manager.

And as far as I'm aware, no reputable source has ever suggested that Moshiri went completely above board and signed Iwobi or Tosun without the DoF's consent. Tosun was believed to have been on Allardyce's radar when he was crystal palace manager and Iwobi is most likely a Brands panic buy after missing out on Zaha. Our recruitment process is enough of a mess already without muddying the waters further.

It sounds like a collaborative process. This is what Ancellotti said about Doucoure that you referred to:

"When we started to talk about the transfer window, Doucoure was on the list of the club. He was not on my list, but we talked together and we both agreed to sign him".

Our model seems to be that both manager and DoF have to jointly agree on a signing, and there is some logic to that as neither can go awol and start bringing in players that the other doesn't want.

I find suggestions that Brands has no say in who we sign absolutely preposterous. Brands has a direct line to the club's accounting and sensitive information on budgets and what leeway we have on contracts that we can offer etc. The manager is clearly empowered to choose their own targets but Brands has to authorise them and ensure that our budget can accommodate them.

He absolutely is accountable for all signings because even if they aren't his recommendations, he will negotiate the price and determine the contract so he is absolutely open to scrutiny for every single signing we've made since he's been here - the good, the bad and the truly ugly. My simple theory is that he's rubbish at his job and happy to go with the suggestions of very experienced managers. He brought in many more players that could be considered 'his picks' when Silva (very inexperienced and fresh off being sacked by Watford) was manager.

And as far as I'm aware, no reputable source has ever suggested that Moshiri went completely above board and signed Iwobi or Tosun without the DoF's consent. Tosun was believed to have been on Allardyce's radar when he was crystal palace manager and Iwobi is most likely a Brands panic buy after missing out on Zaha. Our recruitment process is enough of a mess already without muddying the waters further.

…I think that’s reasonable but I recall Walsh suggesting whoever identifies a target negotiates the deal.

I do agree both Brands and Benitez has the power of veto but I imagine Benitez is much more likely to exercise that power. There is also the added factor of Moshiri bringing in players.

i don’t believe the DoF model at Everton is as empowered as other DoFs when it comes to transfers. We can only assume what the process is and I think your assessment of finance control and links with the Board could be about right. He certainly wealds power at the club but the transfer waters are muddied.

Status
Not open for further replies.