2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the season started I would have agreed they looked relatively easy but Southampton drew at City, Burnley drew with (and came very close to beating) Leicester and Brighton have won every game apart from losing to us at their place and will go top of the table if they beat Palace tomorrow.
We have also made a habit of losing to the promoted winners of the championship at home each season. We could very easily have lost that game.

He’s beaten some terrible opponents considering all bar won are winless so far so he’s done what’s expected of him.

Most of the performances have been poor as well so I’m only hoping that winning these games is instilling a winning mentality in the group.
We are beating the teams we should beat. Breaking an 'evertom that' tradition. Every single time we get a good run in we mess it up. We are winning them handily. . Not good enough though.

We are beating the teams we should beat. Breaking an 'evertom that' tradition. Every single time we get a good run in we mess it up. We are winning them handily. . Not good enough though.

Like for like results, Ancelotti last season vs. Benitez now. I've swapped Norwich for the nearest equivalent (as Norwich won the Championship and Leeds are already involved, that is second placed WBA from 2019/20)

Benitez

Everton 3-1 Southampton
Leeds 2-2 Everton
Brighton 0-2 Everton
Everton 3-1 Burnley
Aston Villa 3-0 Everton
Everton 2-0 Norwich

TOTAL: 13 pts (+5 GD)

Ancelotti

Everton 1-0 Southampton
Leeds 1-2 Everton
Brighton 0-0 Everton
Everton 1-2 Burnley
Aston Villa 0-0 Everton
Everton 5-2 West Brom

TOTAL: 11 pts (+4 GD)

He's outperforming Ancelotti like for like.

…..I imagine every single player goes onto that pitch with full knowledge of what is expected of them in each particular game. If the crowd noise allows you even hear a manager like Benitez on the pitch instructing every pass, every run, every bit of positioning but sometimes initiative or instinct leads to a goal, a chance or a defensive save.

Some managers treat the game like one of those kiddie’s computer footy games. Benitez is one of those control freaks. It’s not necessarily a bad thing but there has to be room for change & individual decision making in a game. Imagination is important to players, they might see things a little different in a game.

I think he’s a good coach, I like some of the individual comments from players (especially strikers), but he is certainly a micro-manager type.
Do you really think Benitez wouldn't allow for a player to get on the ball and seize an opportunity?

He managed Gerrard at Liverpool for years and he was the ultimate type of player who goes off message to get up the pitch and get a goal / assist. But that happened in an organised plan for the game itself, with everone (including Gerrard) being given their instructions that they had to carry out.

Do you really think Benitez wouldn't allow for a player to get on the ball and seize an opportunity?

He managed Gerrard at Liverpool for years and he was the ultimate type of player who goes off message to get up the pitch and get a goal / assist. But that happened in an organised plan for the game itself, with everone (including Gerrard) being given their instructions that they had to carry out.

….of course he welcomes individuality and quality, we’ve seen glimpses of that ourselves.

Like for like results, Ancelotti last season vs. Benitez now. I've swapped Norwich for the nearest equivalent (as Norwich won the Championship and Leeds are already involved, that is second placed WBA from 2019/20)

Benitez

Everton 3-1 Southampton
Leeds 2-2 Everton
Brighton 0-2 Everton
Everton 3-1 Burnley
Aston Villa 3-0 Everton
Everton 2-0 Norwich

TOTAL: 13 pts (+5 GD)

Ancelotti

Everton 1-0 Southampton
Leeds 1-2 Everton
Brighton 0-0 Everton
Everton 1-2 Burnley
Aston Villa 0-0 Everton
Everton 5-2 West Brom

TOTAL: 11 pts (+4 GD)

He's outperforming Ancelotti like for like.

….looking at comparison results over two seasons isn’t perhaps the most accurate given form, injury factors etc. I think it’s fair to compare where we finish and runs in cup competitions.

Gerrard used to drive him mad ignoring instructions but you can't argue with it if he wins you games.

Gerrard used to drive him mad ignoring instructions but you can't argue with it if he wins you games.
He relied on Gerrard to do that for them. That was baked into his strategy. His task was to add some shape and discipline to Gerrrad's game. He was never given a free roaming role.

james says hi

Status
Not open for further replies.