Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Woolv sorry your continuing to experience them thoughts. " they usually pass quickly ..." should not be minimised. What your saying is killing yourself - however fleeting - is an " option " your considering to release you of your problems. I may be wrong but I genuinely feel your self medicating using drugs? and or alcohol in order to cope with something that is deeply engrained in your thoughts. To be able to address the the latter you must be able to address the former. I believe therapeutic interventions like therapy will help you face the reasons for your occasional suicidal ideation. Once you have a better understanding you can, with help, address them.

The self medicating is stopping / blocking you getting to the bottom of your problems. Seek help from loved ones, friends and health professionals to address your " unhelpful behaviours " . Once your able to face up to your problems with a clear head, YOU WILL have a better outlook to life. Can I close by gently asking you if you are able to do some volunteering. In my humble opinion, your self esteem must be at rock bottom, and having someone say to you " thank you for helping me, I feel much better now " gives you - it gives me - a fantastic feeling. You have worth woolv, you have value, and I guarantee there are people out there who need help and support from someone just like you. So once you get back on your feet buddy and are able to, consider giving to people. It feels great.

If you ever feel the need to talk , or need a chat, please DM me and I shall try to give you some support. Take care and remember, you can come through this and yes, at some point in your life, people are going to need and depend on you and you will willingly help them.

Take care.

I can second this. I've had a rough summer with my mental health after a breakup and just doing a few hours every week in a charity shop raising money for a cause that I care about has been massive in getting me back on track. If you've got the time, I'd recommend it to anyone.

@Tommy. Hows the family keeping mate, hows you and your sister and hows your mum now ?? Did your dad get a good sendoff and did you get a few over from Ireland for the funeral.?? Ní neart go cur le chéile.

My ma has been better mate, got released from hospital a few days ago.
I'm getting the ferry over to Dublin on Friday and driving up to see her in County Louth. She's still on a nebuliser but the worst seems to be over.

He had a belter send off mate, proper Irish funeral and wake, 2 days in my mum's living room in Liverpool with my cousins staying with him the whole time drinking and having a laugh. Funeral directors set up a charity page and it reached 4 figures for the Whitechapel Centre in town. Now the shock has wore off I'm mostly at peace and I'm just thankful for being blessed enough to be able to call my dad my best mate.

Go raibh maith agat as na mianta.

Last edited:
Hey mate, I hope you are ok and try to stay strong and please try and speak to someone if you can even if it it's just the Samaritans. I have been an addict previously and had issues with both drugs and drink and lost count the amount of times I ended up in A+E after trying to end things. PLEASE if you ever need to talk to someone don't hesitate to give me a pm. I understand what you are going through and how hard it can be to break the cycle, I'm here if you need me.
Nice post fella

Feeling good today. My wife's death was finally registered on Monday (still haven't got the certificates mind you) and the funeral director confirmed the date for the funeral which is next Friday. So provided I receive the death certificate in the post tomorrow the plan is to travel up to Liverpool this Friday. I'm so looking forward to meeting up with family and friends and getting the chance to see my lovely wife again, once she's appropriately attired of course. Spoke to the celebrant this morning and have arranged to meet up with her on Monday after I've been to see the funeral directors up there. Pretty much sorted on everything now apart from the reception. But at least i can stop sitting around the house waiting for the phone to ring.

Just walked up to the village shop to get myself a traditional Cornish pasty which I'm about to have for lunch. It's a lovely day down here so I'm going to go for a walk this afternoon to the parish church which is on a cliff top location at the mouth of the Helford river. It was our favourite walk with some of the most fantastic views in the world, and will no doubt be very emotional for me.

But they can't take away the memories hey. ;)

Feeling good today. My wife's death was finally registered on Monday (still haven't got the certificates mind you) and the funeral director confirmed the date for the funeral which is next Friday. So provided I receive the death certificate in the post tomorrow the plan is to travel up to Liverpool this Friday. I'm so looking forward to meeting up with family and friends and getting the chance to see my lovely wife again, once she's appropriately attired of course. Spoke to the celebrant this morning and have arranged to meet up with her on Monday after I've been to see the funeral directors up there. Pretty much sorted on everything now apart from the reception. But at least i can stop sitting around the house waiting for the phone to ring.

Just walked up to the village shop to get myself a traditional Cornish pasty which I'm about to have for lunch. It's a lovely day down here so I'm going to go for a walk this afternoon to the parish church which is on a cliff top location at the mouth of the Helford river. It was our favourite walk with some of the most fantastic views in the world, and will no doubt be very emotional for me.

Glad to hear you’re feeling a bit better.

Glad to hear you're okay mate. I know we have to take it in our stride when these things happen but I have nothing but respect for anyone dealing with losing a loved one its just awful.

Glad to hear you're okay mate. I know we have to take it in our stride when these things happen but I have nothing but respect for anyone dealing with losing a loved one its just awful.
said considerably better than I could but I certainly echo the feelings.

hope the pasty goes down well @Barnfred 55 and enjoy the walk , It’s my favourite way of clearing my mind of distractions and hopefully will bring you some lovely memories .

I can second this. I've had a rough summer with my mental health after a breakup and just doing a few hours every week in a charity shop raising money for a cause that I care about has been massive in getting me back on track. If you've got the time, I'd recommend it to anyone.
I used to do one evening per week at a convent that helped 4-16 year old kids with problems autism ,downes and some illnesses I didn't know the name of .It was really good for me as a person and I hope I helped those I shared a lovely evening with. I would recommend that where possible as well ,not sure with the covid situation but you can really look forward to going .I loved it .They don't judge you either .

Nice to hear you are managing with the terrible situation you have ,have a good cry when you are thinking of your wife and let it all out .My thoughts are with you .Good luck on Monday and say hello to her from all on here .
My son lives in Relubbus ,is that anywhere near ?

Nice to hear you are managing with the terrible situation you have ,have a good cry when you are thinking of your wife and let it all out .My thoughts are with you .Good luck on Monday and say hello to her from all on here .
My son lives in Relubbus ,is that anywhere near ?
I had to Google it tbh mate but when I did I knew exactly where it was and have passed through it many times on our travels. Lovely part of Cornwall and not that far from me as the crow flies, but probably 40 mins in the car. Not far from Penzance and St Michael's Mount which is quite spectacular. Im closer to Falmouth. Have you been down for a visit?

I had to Google it tbh mate but when I did I knew exactly where it was and have passed through it many times on our travels. Lovely part of Cornwall and not that far from me as the crow flies, but probably 40 mins in the car. Not far from Penzance and St Michael's Mount which is quite spectacular. Im closer to Falmouth. Have you been down for a visit?
You are lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world, mate. Getting out into nature is a true form of meditation - well, it is for me. Maybe you could show off and put some pics up in the photo thread?

Just googled st michael's mount it looks beautiful. Do people live there?? Very like the french mont saint Michel.Is there a connection between the 2??

I was booked to go and see my grandson for the first time but then Covid came and now he is over two years old .I hope to go soon as and will let you know so we can meet up .I have been to Cornwall but around polperro area and a good while ago but having seen my son's photos I am not sure my knees are up to most of it but there is always the car .Now I have another granddaughter born earlier this month so I have a lot to see and my new wife hasn't seen any more than the Doc Martin village .I look forward to seeing them and may be we could have a drink .