2021/22 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought he was excellent yesterday, dominant, led the defence and some excellent blocks. Stood up to pressure well and my man of match. Has recovered well from bad first couple games of the season.

Probably Everton's best player yesterday, but I'm not sure it's worth having to defend so deep just to protect him.

I can't see him going anywhere any time soon, though, so it may as well be him and Mina together, the modern Stubbs and Weir.

Probably Everton's best player yesterday, but I'm not sure it's worth having to defend so deep just to protect him.

I can't see him going anywhere any time soon, though, so it may as well be him and Mina together, the modern Stubbs and Weir.
We’re not playing deep to protect Michael Keane. We’re going to play deep and hit teams on the counter under Rafael, that’s his style. Fortunately it’s a style that suits Keane and Mina and will get the best out of them. A rare occasion where a new manager preferred style actually suits players already at the club and bought by previous regimes.

We’re not playing deep to protect Michael Keane. We’re going to play deep and hit teams on the counter under Rafael, that’s his style. Fortunately it’s a style that suits Keane and Mina and will get the best out of them. A rare occasion where a new manager preferred style actually suits players already at the club and bought by previous regimes.
Exciting times ahead.

Yet its not a style which suits Digne or Godfrey. Mina can also play in an attacking system.

Half our best back four suffers to accomodate one player.

Yet its not a style which suits Digne or Godfrey. Mina can also play in an attacking system.

Half our best back four suffers to accomodate one player.

You're coming at this from the wrong direction.

It's not just Keane who benefits from this style of play - Gray, Doucoure, Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison, Townsend - they're all better suited to a style where we get the ball forward quickly. You're right to say it's only really Digne and Godfrey who suffer particularly because of the style, but then Keane is a better fit for the team in this style than Godfrey, so it's really just Digne who is suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.