Match Thread Everton v Watford - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were 2:1 up and it is Rondons fault that we lost 2:5? I see other reasons. No midfield and you bring in Iwobi? Godfrey being all over the place why not bring in Holgate and try to close the gaps in the middle?

we should be starting with a midfield three, after the loss of Doucoure, that's simple for me but as yet not for the manager, Allan and Davies have not got the legs to play in a two that was obvious today. Rondon is a passenger pure and simple, if your centre forward can't hold the ball up it comes right back, then it your midfield haven't the legs of can't tackle, then the defence is wide open, one of the worst defensive performances I've ever seen, Pickford stopped them getting 7 or 8. I'm not really disagreeing with you, apart from one or two they were all crap. Gordon, Pickford, Ritchie done okay first game back, Townsend was okay, now I'm struggling, Iwobi should have been left on the bench at Arsenal, he's been that bad.

Everton are a decent mid-table outfit when all the (current) players are available. But suddenly become a relegation team when the ''stars'' (Mina; Douc; Rich; DCL) are missing. The replacement players, plus the bench, possess zero ability. Regardless, getting turned over at home by Watford is up there with the 1-5 drubbing by Norwich in '93.
Thing is though Jimmy, Norwich were a good side back then and even beat Bayern Munich in Europe. Watford are a poor side.

This is not on the manager... Has everyone forgotten we were leading 2-1 at the 63rd minute?

This is on the players. The defence was an absolute laughingstock from the 78th minute on. Not the first time they've played with each other but looked like it. But Coleman in particular was woeful.

Unless Iwobi, Delph, or Gomes are on the pitch, Coleman is easily the worst player on the field for Everton. Who is deciding who is Captain? And how does Coleman accept it and feel he is worthy? Absolutely zero leadership on the field today. Been an awful Captain for a while now...

I'm still at the sad/angry phase.

I was yelling at Keane and Rondon through the screem for most of the game.

Then Benitez when Gordon came off...then Benitez for Iwobi.

Then Benitez for not changing the shape.

Then i couldnt be angry because it all unfolded in slow motion....zero shape in midfield or defence and the zonal marking.

Anger and sadness went out when i saw them cutting through us all game and the manager keep the shape and take off good players for poor ones + leave more bad ones on the pitch.

Its laughable how sunday league it was.

The subs today proved one thing... he decides his subs in advance of kick off. His game management is so inept he makes Koeman look proactive. The decision to hook Gordon and not Rondon, the decision to bring on Iwobi with it in the balance, show he clearly premeditated his subs.

The manager is an utter joke. How any Evertonian can support this rubbish is beyond me. This isn't the club I grew hoping would one day come good. I don't know what this is but it's not something I like or have affiliation with. I'm embarrassed, tired and at the end of my patience.

I've given Benitez a fair bit of credit for the start he made and the overall fitness we have shown recently, but today was an absolute car crash for him, even given the stupid injuries we have.

For a kick off, you can't play 2 in midfield when doucoure isn't available, it doesn't work without him - should have went 3 across the middle, if any flavour of the crap midfielders we had available.

Second, taking Gordon off when he was having by far his most effective game for us was a shambles, and to say he doesn't have the legs for 90mins, when he leaves his bezzie mate wrongun lounging around the pitch for the full 90 comes across as just stupid and stubborn. Gordon was my motm by a mile, followed by Pickford (just for keeping the score down a little) and Richy, who actually looked bothered and looked like a proper forward, unlike rondon.

If gray was injured or as he said, had a cold, then I'm surprised he started, but I get the iwobi change, at a push (not that I would have brought him on tbh).

If I'm Dobbin, or any other young striker at the club, I'm on the blower to my agent asking for a move because I'll never play for Everton if rondon is getting minutes ahead of me playing like that - it's embarrassing now, rondon needs putting out of his misery (and ours while we're at it!)

Up there for one of our most spineless, abject performances ever, and we've had a few over the years.
This post is right start to finish. Even with doucs the middle, the 2 in the middle have struggled this season. He needs 3 in the middle. Iwobi, gbamim even holgate just get a body in the middle and go man to man. Hardly and second balls won, and the amount of times they picked up the lose ball outside are box. It’s Watford, I am really worried when we come up against a team who can move the ball quick.

This is not on the manager... Has everyone forgotten we were leading 2-1 at the 63rd minute?

This is on the players. The defence was an absolute laughingstock from the 78th minute on. Not the first time they've played with each other but looked like it. But Coleman in particular was woeful.

Unless Iwobi, Delph, or Gomes are on the pitch, Coleman is easily the worst player on the field for Everton. Who is deciding who is Captain? And how does Coleman accept it and feel he is worthy? Absolutely zero leadership on the field today. Been an awful Captain for a while now...

Compare the defensive system with last season at set pieces.

Look at the subs.

See who stayed on the pitch

Note that no formation changes happened from us to counter Ranieri.

Benitez was shocking today.

Everton are a decent mid-table outfit when all the (current) players are available. But suddenly become a relegation team when the ''stars'' (Mina; Douc; Rich; DCL) are missing. The replacement players, plus the bench, possess zero ability. Regardless, getting turned over at home by Watford is up there with the 1-5 drubbing by Norwich in '93.
Spot on - i doubt we’ve ever had such a threadbare squad - the drop off in quality from our first 11 is frightening

My lowest ever point as an Everton fan. That was inept, no passion, no effort, no skill and the manager left our worst player on for 90 minutes.

an utter, utter shambles.

The subs today proved one thing... he decides his subs in advance of kick off. His game management is so inept he makes Koeman look proactive. The decision to hook Gordon and not Rondon, the decision to bring on Iwobi with it in the balance, show he clearly premeditated his subs.

The manager is an utter joke. How any Evertonian can support this rubbish is beyond me. This isn't the club I grew hoping would one day come good. I don't know what this is but it's not something I like or have affiliation with. I'm embarrassed, tired and at the end of my patience.

Something is definitely wrong with the subs. Totally illogical.

We were leading completely undeservedly so.

At 2-1. It was clear as day that we needed someone more in the middle to help shore things up. No. he STAYS 4-4-2, which doesnt control a game, it never has. He KEEPS his mate Rondon on the pitch, so we're playing with 10. He takes off Gordon and Gray who were our most threatening.

No shock that another BENITEZ team can't defend set pieces. The same group that showed massive improvement defending them in a different way last season (in which now italian teams are doing left right and centre).

The whole thing was baffling. Richy should have come on for Rondon, it was the most obvious and effective sub, we'd sudddenly have 11 on the pitch and not 10 and a 1/2. We'd still have pace, a counter, and someone who can actually finish on the pitch.

To put zero responsibility on BEnitez is comical. The defenders aren't great so why set up in a way that leaves them permanently exposed? Why play with just two midfielders, like eveyr game this season get passed around because they are permanently outnumbered.

We were great for 13 minutes, then as usual, on yet another set piece, we collapse mentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.