Everton Youth Teams Thread

Still very raw but if we were in need of a goal or a spark I'd rather bring him on than rondon

….not sure I would use the descriptor ‘raw’ for him. From what I can see, he’s a tidy, uncomplicated footballer. I’d be a bit concerned about his physicality (certainly understand why he’s not a back-up for Rondon). He’s all about quality to me & I don’t know if he’s got the unbelievable level of quality needed to make the step up.

I like the lad, he looks right but time will tell.

….not sure I would use the descriptor ‘raw’ for him. From what I can see, he’s a tidy, uncomplicated footballer. I’d be a bit concerned about his physicality (certainly understand why he’s not a back-up for Rondon). He’s all about quality to me & I don’t know if he’s got the unbelievable level of quality needed to make the step up.

I'd say he's definitely raw end product wise. He's not even close to what Gordon was in his last 23s year in that department. He's miles off atm

I'd say he's definitely raw end product wise. He's not even close to what Gordon was in his last 23s year in that department. He's miles off atm

….it’s probably the definition of ‘raw’. I see ‘raw’ as being a bit wild, for example, I see Godfrey being raw at times.

i think its fine to highlight the lack of quality in his decision making & final ball. Nice lay-off in the lead up to the 2nd goal last night, though. I suspect he has sufficient quality to ‘join in’ with senior professionals in training (which is why Benitez promoted him). He really needs to be outstanding for U23s.

Last edited:

by raw i mean you can see he has talent but no where near fulfilling it yet (hopefully he will)

Not that any of them are guaranteed to make I get the general feeling Welch is our best defensive prospect, Onyango the best midfielder and Dobbin best forward. I think they all need kept her so if an opportunity comes they can step in. I think Ledson is a better midfielder than Davies but he was out on loan when the first team opportunity came along so it allowed Davies to push him even further down the pecking order. There is nothing wrong with these players playing u23s as long as they are playing well. The last couple of games show we are a better balanced side with some slightly older players in the team. We just don't want them to be Garbutt old. For me Onyango looks like he would be Doucoure long term replacement so where better to learn than off the man himself.

Onyango could be in the squad for Wolves next week, according to the athletic.
I thought Onyango had a good first half, it was planned for him to come off at halftime . He’s a disciplined player and in his brief first team appearance he fitted in and did what he was told to do, which is an asset if you want to catch Benitez’s eye. I think he would be ok coming off the bench in Doucoure’s absence, he’d do a sound maybe unspectacular job.

Dobbin was played on the left so not really as effective as he can be , but while he can score goals with his left foot he is undoubtedly weaker on that foot, a few of times this season he’s failed to get in a shot on goal with his left foot when in good positions - these are the telling things that get you to PL level. The pace is there but a lot more work to do. The Rondon factor undoubtedly pushes his name forward , could he really do worse, but if DCL and Tosun were fully fit hed be hard pushed to make the bench.

I thought Onyango had a good first half, it was planned for him to come off at halftime . He’s a disciplined player and in his brief first team appearance he fitted in and did what he was told to do, which is an asset if you want to catch Benitez’s eye. I think he would be ok coming off the bench in Doucour’s absence, he’d do a sound maybe unspectacular job.

Dobbin was played on the left so not really as effective as he can be , but while he can score goals with his left foot he is undoubtedly weaker on that foot, a few of times this season he’s failed to get in a shot on goal with his left foot when in good positions - these are the telling things that get you to PL level. The pace is there but a lot more work to do. The Rondon factor undoubtedly pushes his name forward , could he really do worse, but if DCL and Tosun were fully fit hed be hard pushed to make the bench.

Onyango still working his way back to full fitness?

Any time I watched the 23's, I always thought he was the player who looked like they could step up to the senior team and compete physically.

Still no Simms. What the hell is wrong with him ? He was back for a weeks now seems to have disappeared.
Compared to Dobbin he seems to be more advanced in his development, like being more physical and he had his loan spell last season. That is to replace Rondon lol

Didn’t realise Jose Baxter was coaching in the under 23s.

We seem to have this jobs for the boys set up at youth level. Franny Jeffers, Jose Baxter, it’s like an extension of an Everton in the community scheme.

Is it any coincidence our record of developing players is poor? Oh I don’t know, maybe employing some experienced, proven youth coaches would make sense Marcel? Instead of giving work experience to a bunch of bampots!

Didn’t realise Jose Baxter was coaching in the under 23s.

We seem to have this jobs for the boys set up at youth level. Franny Jeffers, Jose Baxter, it’s like an extension of an Everton in the community scheme.

Is it any coincidence our record of developing players is poor? Oh I don’t know, maybe employing some experienced, proven youth coaches would make sense Marcel? Instead of giving work experience to a bunch of bampots!
I wrote somewhere recently that some would go apoplectic when they realised that Baxter was coaching with us, so your reaction is comparably mild to what will come when others realise.

Franny Jeffers , as you probably know , progressed to being offered a first team coach position with Ipswich, similarly Phil Jevons went from one of our u18 coaches to a first team coach at Sunderland recently. So they both proved to be good appointments who progressed and moved on upwards. And that’s the issue, good youth coaches move on up , you don’t get many “ experienced , proven youth coaches “ just waiting for our call to join our U23s/ u18s set up. If they are that good they’ll likely want a position with a first team or even within the youth international set up. Lee Carsley , currently with England u21s, is a good example, I’d have him in our “ jobs for the boys “ club in an instant if we could get him.

By all accounts Baxter has made a good start. Take away the name and read “ 29 year old ex PL player with an innovative approach to coaching , completing his coaching badges , gets on well with youngsters, and with a wealth of “ lessons learned” to impart to those young players. Lets give him a chance before we condemn him.