Everton Youth Teams Thread

Still no Simms. What the hell is wrong with him ? He was back for a weeks now seems to have disappeared.
Compared to Dobbin he seems to be more advanced in his development, like being more physical and he had his loan spell last season. That is to replace Rondon lol

like DCL hes had a set-back in his recovery, who knows why but i'm sure benitez will be looking at improving that dept.

I wrote somewhere recently that some would go apoplectic when they realised that Baxter was coaching with us, so your reaction is comparably mild to what will come when others realise.

Franny Jeffers , as you probably know , progressed to being offered a first team coach position with Ipswich, similarly Phil Jevons went from one of our u18 coaches to a first team coach at Sunderland recently. So they both proved to be good appointments who progressed and moved on upwards. And that’s the issue, good youth coaches move on up , you don’t get many “ experienced , proven youth coaches “ just waiting for our call to join our U23s/ u18s set up. If they are that good they’ll likely want a position with a first team or even within the youth international set up. Lee Carsley , currently with England u21s, is a good example, I’d have him in our “ jobs for the boys “ club in an instant if we could get him.

By all accounts Baxter has made a good start. Take away the name and read “ 29 year old ex PL player with an innovative approach to coaching , completing his coaching badges , gets on well with youngsters, and with a wealth of “ lessons learned” to impart to those young players. Lets give him a chance before we condemn him.
A very measured response to my somewhat flippant comment and some very fair points.

I don’t think I’m capable of apoplectic these days when it comes to Everton. Nothing surprises me but:

1) we’re a premier league club, we are a step up for many and can pay higher wages to youth coaches further down the pyramid who have proven themselves and done well in lower divisions. Carsley, I agree, is an excellent example and would have been an excellent appointment. No problem at all with former players coming back to roles at the club where they’ve proven themselves elsewhere.

2) retainment is an excellent point, how do you retain good people in roles at the club. I’d guess much like you try to do in any other walk of life…recognise the job they are doing and reward them for it i.e. pay rises and pay them better than they will get elsewhere. If we don’t do that, I wonder how serious or stable the youth coaching set up can ever be. What you’re describing sounds like an apprenticeship scheme.

3) I like having Leighton Baines around our young players and advising them. A proper club legend and model pro, can absolutely see the value in retaining him at the club and influencing young guys. Franny and Jose, if you think any premier league club, would have employed them with no experience no matter how innovative then fair enough, I’m dubious. We’re not a charity, let them go down the pyramid and prove themselves and earn a move to us.

Any other team in league have 'jobs for the boys' managing their entire academy?

Unsworth - Academy Director and U23's manager
Ebrell - Head of Academy Coaching
Baines - Professional Development Coach
Tait - U18 coach

All former players. That's before we get to Joel Waldron, the Academy Chief Operating Officer who no doubt only got the dad due to his dad's senior position in the academy previously.

Absolutely stinks. No wonder our best talents are leaving and we have no real success stories in the past decade (beyond Barkley). Just as striking is that both Unsworth and Ebrell have had a promotion within the last 18 months - based on what exactly???

A very measured response to my somewhat flippant comment and some very fair points.

I don’t think I’m capable of apoplectic these days when it comes to Everton. Nothing surprises me but:

1) we’re a premier league club, we are a step up for many and can pay higher wages to youth coaches further down the pyramid who have proven themselves and done well in lower divisions. Carsley, I agree, is an excellent example and would have been an excellent appointment. No problem at all with former players coming back to roles at the club where they’ve proven themselves elsewhere.

2) retainment is an excellent point, how do you retain good people in roles at the club. I’d guess much like you try to do in any other walk of life…recognise the job they are doing and reward them for it i.e. pay rises and pay them better than they will get elsewhere. If we don’t do that, I wonder how serious or stable the youth coaching set up can ever be. What you’re describing sounds like an apprenticeship scheme.

3) I like having Leighton Baines around our young players and advising them. A proper club legend and model pro, can absolutely see the value in retaining him at the club and influencing young guys. Franny and Jose, if you think any premier league club, would have employed them with no experience no matter how innovative then fair enough, I’m dubious. We’re not a charity, let them go down the pyramid and prove themselves and earn a move to us.
I think in all fairness you see similar at other clubs, but maybe to a lesser extent than us. I've seen Arsenal, Chelsea, RS and United do it for example. John Terry at Villa. There are probably more.

I wrote somewhere recently that some would go apoplectic when they realised that Baxter was coaching with us, so your reaction is comparably mild to what will come when others realise.

Franny Jeffers , as you probably know , progressed to being offered a first team coach position with Ipswich, similarly Phil Jevons went from one of our u18 coaches to a first team coach at Sunderland recently. So they both proved to be good appointments who progressed and moved on upwards. And that’s the issue, good youth coaches move on up , you don’t get many “ experienced , proven youth coaches “ just waiting for our call to join our U23s/ u18s set up. If they are that good they’ll likely want a position with a first team or even within the youth international set up. Lee Carsley , currently with England u21s, is a good example, I’d have him in our “ jobs for the boys “ club in an instant if we could get him.

By all accounts Baxter has made a good start. Take away the name and read “ 29 year old ex PL player with an innovative approach to coaching , completing his coaching badges , gets on well with youngsters, and with a wealth of “ lessons learned” to impart to those young players. Lets give him a chance before we condemn him.
I’m not so sure on all that blueloon.

The main criteria for Paul Cook’s appointments is that you must be a scouser. Jeffers, Peter Reid and the completely inexperienced Gary Robert’s have all been appointed. Gary is no where near that level as a coach and Paul Cook has been talking a lot of criticism for surrounding himself with friends and ‘yes’ men for which he’s had to defend himself.

I also know that Jevon’s and Lee Johnson, The Sunderland manager, are really good freinds who’ve been mates for a long time since they used to play together.

I’m not sure either appointment were because they were the best person for the job. More so jobs for the boys which to be fair, happens right across the board football.

Any other team in league have 'jobs for the boys' managing their entire academy?

Tait - U18 coach

All former players. That's before we get to Joel Waldron, the Academy Chief Operating Officer who no doubt only got the dad due to his dad's senior position in the academy previously.

Absolutely stinks. No wonder our best talents are leaving and we have no real success stories in the past decade (beyond Barkley). Just as striking is that both Unsworth and Ebrell have had a promotion within the last 18 months - based on what exactly???
Don't forget club Legend Jose Baxter, too.

''Everton under-23 coach Jose Baxter confirmed the decision to substitute Tyler Onyango at half time of a 2-0 win over Burnley on Monday was planned...''

I’m not so sure on all that blueloon.

The main criteria for Paul Cook’s appointments is that you must be a scouser. Jeffers, Peter Reid and the completely inexperienced Gary Robert’s have all been appointed. Gary is no where near that level as a coach and Paul Cook has been talking a lot of criticism for surrounding himself with friends and ‘yes’ men for which he’s had to defend himself.

I also know that Jevon’s and Lee Johnson, The Sunderland manager, are really good freinds who’ve been mates for a long time since they used to play together.

I’m not sure either appointment were because they were the best person for the job. More so jobs for the boys which to be fair, happens right across the board football.
I think you see that everywhere to be fair mate. Lots of coaches want their mates around them.

Tait - U18 coach

At least Jeffers has gone!!