Why on earth did we sell James Rodriguez?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if we had a buy back clause? or any bonuses such as we get a million Qatari riyal's if he can go more then a month without throwing a hissy fit and phoning in sick.

Lose a few games and people start pining for past player. Where's the threads for Lookman or Geri?
Lookman would walk into this team, actually he didnt want to be here, which shows there is something fundamentally wrong with the club that runs much deeper then any manager

I think if you look at xG, and the shot statistics, it's not too bad. I think we are a little above average.

I also think if you look at players like Gray and Townsend we can hardly call them world class players, but they are just as creative (effective) as JR, in addition to doing the job required without the ball. Do not think Manchester United were particularly interested in any of them.

But it's also the case, when you can get players like Gray and Townsend to produce the same as JR, but at the same time do the job required without the ball, why spend a lot of money on a player who does not, who struggles to get in match shape on a regular basis,and who costs significantly more?
I see the point you’re making and it’s true that Gray and Townsend have done well in the short time they’ve been here - albeit their stats are outliers for their careers so it’s a bit early to project they will keep that form up. Don’t really have an issue bringing them in, we were desperate for wingers. I would still rather have them both either side of James than Iwobi this season, if the that’s the choice we had. Someone with passing like James would be a good player to release the likes of Gray and Townsend.

Regardless, while they’ve both started well, the point remains that we are very one dimensional in attack and we have no plan B. We’re now absolutely reliant on counter attack, it was very short sighted to lose Siggi and James from the squad and replace them with nobody with that skill set, we should have at least one. Thinking Iwobi could step into that gaping void was beyond wishful thinking.

He's lazy, only played when he felt like it, on stupid money.
Whilst it was nice to see the little he contributed he was a luxury that we didn't need.
The one genuine world class player we had, was a luxury we didn't need? God some people on here are priceless.lol He didn't play, because the kopite manager didn't want him. He will go down in history, as making a bigger contribution to Everton, than Benitez as well.

The one genuine world class player we had, was a luxury we didn't need? God some people on here are priceless.lol He didn't play, because the kopite manager didn't want him. He will go down in history, as making a bigger contribution to Everton, than Benitez as well.

I know he'd have been useful at times because we are so limited but the James Rodriguez who showed up at Everton was not world class. Capable of brilliant moments but it's clear why he's playing in Qatar right now.

I know he'd have been useful at times because we are so limited but the James Rodriguez who showed up at Everton was not world class. Capable of brilliant moments but it's clear why he's playing in Qatar right now.
I would argue, he was still better and had more to offer, than a lot of players in the squad. But oh well, what's done is done.

I see the point you’re making and it’s true that Gray and Townsend have done well in the short time they’ve been here - albeit their stats are outliers for their careers so it’s a bit early to project they will keep that form up. Don’t really have an issue bringing them in, we were desperate for wingers. I would still rather have them both either side of James than Iwobi this season, if the that’s the choice we had. Someone with passing like James would be a good player to release the likes of Gray and Townsend.

Regardless, while they’ve both started well, the point remains that we are very one dimensional in attack and we have no plan B. We’re now absolutely reliant on counter attack, it was very short sighted to lose Siggi and James from the squad and replace them with nobody with that skill set, we should have at least one. Thinking Iwobi could step into that gaping void was beyond wishful thinking.
Let's wait and see. I agree that we do not have much depth in the squad, but I think it was the right decision to sell JR. Right now we have injuries to important players, AD and DCL, Mina and Digne, and Richarlison is probably not quite in match form. It makes us a little more predictable offensively, and a little more vulnerable defensively.

Are we one-dimensional? Maybe, but I think we start at the right end, and it takes time for changes to have an effect. We must be solid defensively, but we must also have the ability to take advantage of the opportunities that arise in the transition phases. Most goals in football are scored after 6 or less passes, and preferably after 10 -12 seconds after ball recovery.

Furthermore, most goals have their origin / start from the middle third, and most goals come after passes behind the defensive line or to a player who is on the line to the defensive line. Then 30-40 percent of the goals are scored after a set piece. I think these are the principles Rafael is working on now in the first period.

This means that we avoid having too much ball possession in the first and middle third, and rather seek to take advantage of the opponent having more of the ball. Considering the players we are in possession of, I think it is a sensible strategy. Eventually we have to develop, of course, but then we need other types of players.

But in this strategy, JR does not fit in, possibly as a substitute, but he would hardly have been happy with that, and is not rational financial management.

Too long text, sorry.

Bigger issue for me is Moise Kean. From the minute Carlo let him go to PSG, the lad was never going to want to play for Everton.

And the staggering thing is we gave Rondon a run of games but not Kean.

Exactly, we developed him poorly and I’m glad we recouped majority of the transfer fee. I rather of kept Kean than sign Rondon this season. He would have been more useful despite his reported behaviour.

James would have been handy off the bench this season because we lost our number 10. James declared himself fit after the transfer window but never selected. I don’t blame him leaving. I hope use his wages to sign someone in the January window.

Status
Not open for further replies.