The Everton Board Thread

We are also back in the position where we have fans that are far more annoyed at other fans criticising the club, than the actual underachievement across the club.

It's a never ending cycle of mediocrity

Are we?

It seems to me, like we're all united in agreement that something has to change at the very top, and we need to stop acting pathetically on all accounts.

I think the difference is some people aren't ready to give up on the manager yet, whereas some are.

Are we?

It seems to me, like we're all united in agreement that something has to change at the very top, and we need to stop acting pathetically on all accounts.

I think the difference is some people aren't ready to give up on the manager yet, whereas some are.

I don't know to be honest. I've seen the players being clapped off after the Wolves game etc. There are always the shouts of geordies or kopite behaviour.

I was never on board with the manager, and never will be, but it does baffle me how people can actually think he's the right choice. People are entitled to their opinions as always, but it is a ludicrous one from my viewpoint.

I don't know to be honest. I've seen the players being clapped off after the Wolves game etc. There are always the shouts of geordies or kopite behaviour.

I was never on board with the manager, and never will be, but it does baffle me how people can actually think he's the right choice. People are entitled to their opinions as always, but it is a ludicrous one from my viewpoint.

I don't think it's a case of "right choice", I think people have got on board with it, because it doesn't seem like he'll be leaving any time soon, and you've got to try and back them whilst you can.

Benitez never appointed himself, he was targeted by our board, who ignored the protestations by our fanbase, and went ahead with it.

Likewise though, I'm just as angry as anyone at the moment, but as we discussed last night, there are a set of players who turn up every week, and get outplayed by Watford, Wolves and show no heart. They're my big problem. If Benitez goes, we'll just rinse and repeat as long as we've still got inept Board members, who exclude the DOF from decisions and don't care what the fans think.

I don't think it's a case of "right choice", I think people have got on board with it, because it doesn't seem like he'll be leaving any time soon, and you've got to try and back them whilst you can.

Benitez never appointed himself, he was targeted by our board, who ignored the protestations by our fanbase, and went ahead with it.

Likewise though, I'm just as angry as anyone at the moment, but as we discussed last night, there are a set of players who turn up every week, and get outplayed by Watford, Wolves and show no heart. They're my big problem. If Benitez goes, we'll just rinse and repeat as long as we've still got inept Board members, who exclude the DOF from decisions and don't care what the fans think.

Everyone is to blame. This squad of players are abject and are very hard to watch.

Ultimately, responsibility rests with the owner who makes the appointments. He's got virtually every one of them wrong over 5 years.

But the first step to rectifying mistakes in the past is to get in a new long term manager. I don't see how any of the other issues are fixed under Benitez. We need to sign only young hungry players, but there is no way that is what Benitez will be going for. Townsend (who has been decent) and Rondon show us a hint of his transfer plan. Experience and reliability will only get you so far - and that is lower midtable.

Everyone is to blame. This squad of players are abject and are very hard to watch.

Ultimately, responsibility rests with the owner who makes the appointments. He's got virtually every one of them wrong over 5 years.

But the first step to rectifying mistakes in the past is to get in a new long term manager. I don't see how any of the other issues are fixed under Benitez. We need to sign only young hungry players, but there is no way that is what Benitez will be going for. Townsend (who has been decent) and Rondon show us a hint of his transfer plan. Experience and reliability will only get you so far - and that is lower midtable.

I have zero confidence in this current board appointing a long term manager. We most recently interviewed Vitor Pereira, based solely on the fact that Kenwright liked him 8 years ago. We have appointed Allardyce, Koeman, Ancelotti, what makes you think if we sack Benitez we're going to get it right?

Rondon was very clear a desperate clutch at straws and whilst we expected him to be poor, no one expected this. It's what happens when your board is neglectful, don't have a transfer strategy, and allow a manager £1.5m to spent. £1.5m in 2000 was paltry, let alone 2021.

I would agree with most of that apart from the last sentence. Ally all the above to bad or even non existent management, you end up where we are today - hurtling to the bottom 6.

The issue of saying just keep us safe until the new stadium is that in this league if you stand still you go backwards. Benitez isn't convincing me he isn't a dinosaur of a manager, even if I would prefer we had some stability can he survive ?
We aren't safe.

We have a broken squad of players who are at best a top 10 side but we haven't improved our squad this summer because we have lost creative players in James and Sigurdsson.

Gray and Townsend are good players but they are both on to ends of the scale (young but needs coaching and experienced but aging) but we are missing a central figure how helps attack and score that 5/10 goals.

We are a Suicide Squad - we are solid but it 1 factor lets us down then we are done.

They show us nothing other than he had nothing to spend.

He didn't have to sign Rondon. Signing no one is sometimes the better decision, especially when money is scarce.

The one thing that surprised me was we didn't go into the loan market

Free transfer. We needed cover for DCL. I've no doubt Benitez didnt want to be starting him - especially unfit.

Loan market? Most, especially those 'proven' in the Prem demand a decent fee. West Ham paid a few mill for Lingard, Villa £11m for Ross Barkley. Nobody comes to mind who we could have got on a free, to play second fiddle to Calvert-Lewin.

The point is though, we can't go saying Townsend/Rondon/Gray are indicative of Benitez' philosophy. The fella never had a pot to piss in.

Free transfer. We needed cover for DCL. I've no doubt Benitez didnt want to be starting him - especially unfit.

Loan market? Most, especially those 'proven' in the Prem demand a decent fee. West Ham paid a few mill for Lingard, Villa £11m for Ross Barkley. Nobody comes to mind who we could have got on a free, to play second fiddle to Calvert-Lewin.

The point is though, we can't go saying Townsend/Rondon/Gray are indicative of Benitez' philosophy. The fella never had a pot to piss in.

There isn't really such a thing as a free transfer. Players who are free agents can still command high wages, or signing fees. So yes, it's the most efficient way to recruit, but no player plays for free. Like Bernard was a free transfer, but still not the best piece of business.

Why would it have to be proven PL players on loan? What is the obsession with proven PL players or managers - we really need to look elsewhere.

There isn't really such a thing as a free transfer. Players who are free agents can still command high wages, or signing fees. So yes, it's the most efficient way to recruit, but no player plays for free. Like Bernard was a free transfer, but still not the best piece of business.

Why would it have to be proven PL players on loan? What is the obsession with proven PL players or managers - we really need to look elsewhere.

This is going away from the point of this thread - that being the Everton Board, but I'll leave it with my original point - which was in response to this

We didn't have a pot to piss in. We needed a couple of bodies. I've been the one on here when others were thrilled we signed Tosun, Iwobi etc saying it would be better to sign nobody but this isn't paying a fortune, it's pragmatic.

We needed some pace/width and we needed cover upfront. Doing that with £1.7m isn't easy. A loan for anyone half decent would have cost more than Rondon - more than we could likely afford after Townsend/Gray.

£1.7m on Gray, Townsend and Rondon is tremendous business compared to our record over those 5 years you refer to.

This is going away from the point of this thread - that being the Everton Board, but I'll leave it with my original point - which was in response to this

We didn't have a pot to piss in. We needed a couple of bodies. I've been the one on here when others were thrilled we signed Tosun, Iwobi etc saying it would be better to sign nobody but this isn't paying a fortune, it's pragmatic.

We needed some pace/width and we needed cover upfront. Doing that with £1.7m isn't easy. A loan for anyone half decent would have cost more than Rondon - more than we could likely afford after Townsend/Gray.

£1.7m on Gray, Townsend and Rondon is tremendous business compared to our record over those 5 years you refer to.
Well there are several contracts ending in the summer, and I suspect very few extensions being offered. We will probably also be forced to sell one of DCL and Richarlison, so we are going to need an enormous rebuild. Both for numbers in the squad and quality.

The structures are not currently in place for recruitment to be carried out successfully with so many people having their say. I don't think Benitez should be the one to do that becuase he will not be a long term manager, but I have no faith in the board or DOF (yes I know he is also a board member) to oversee it either. So I don't know where we go from here.

Unless there are changes then we will just get more of the same. I thought at some point Moshiri would start to get annoyed at how much money has been wasted for no return, and make changes to the board. But now I'm starting to think he would already have done it by now if it was going to happen.