2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a good point this.
Sometimes teams can utilise the passion or unity of the crowd in difficult moments. If the crowd can get behind the team and manager then these moments pass.

The unfortunate thing for Benitez is that the crowd will probably never be unified behind him and the chance of a passionate, immersive Goodison getting the team over the line is minimal.

Quick point to illustrate your example. When Conte took over at Chelsea he pushed his players to sprint more and then used the reaction of the crowd to drill his point home at training. Paraphrasing, but something like "you heard how the crowd wanted you to play, so that's how you play."

It's a shame Conte isn't here because he could use the crowd telling Iwobi to F-off to illustrate the same point.

The crowd will never get behind the manager and that was why this appointment was such a strange one. If you're the chairman, director of football and there is a chance that the money isn't going to be there to back your new guy then you go with someone who will at least have some goodwill from the crowd.

Moshiri, Brands, Benitez they can all do one.

Quick point to illustrate your example. When Conte took over at Chelsea he pushed his players to sprint more and then used the reaction of the crowd to drill his point home at training. Paraphrasing, but something like "you heard how the crowd wanted you to play, so that's how you play."

It's a shame Conte isn't here because he could use the crowd telling Iwobi to F-off to illustrate the same point.

The crowd will never get behind the manager and that was why this appointment was such a strange one. If you're the chairman, director of football and there is a chance that the money isn't going to be there to back your new guy then you go with someone who will at least have some goodwill from the crowd.

Moshiri, Brands, Benitez they can all do one.

Spot on

That's all true.

Yet, we cannot ignore that our current form is joint worst in the league with Brentford over the last five matches - even Newcastle and Norwich are better.

A defeat to Brentford and it's the worst. We haven't won in the league since the 13th September and if we don't beat Brentford we then start a pretty difficult run.

It's the RS (H), Arsenal (A), Palace (H), Chelsea (A), Leicester (H), Burnley (A) and Newcastle (H). Genuinely, at the moment, how many points do you predict?

I've been more accepting of Rafael than many and yes we've got to factor in injuries compared to our paper thin squad, but eventually we've got to step back.

Objectively, the proof is in the pudding: at the moment, we're looking lacklustre at best and spiralling downwards rather than bucking the trend.

Again, I'm not going to be a doom merchant like many as I believe that it'll improve, but the question is when and by how much? What are our ambitions?

Apart from a small number of games, we didn't look amazing in a fair few of our victories being saved by counter-attacking goals and the likes of DCL.

Without him and others to lift us up, it is a concern and we should (must) be beyond that. The manager has to do something soon or expect criticism.

Unless we are in genuine threat of relegation he shouldn't be going anywhere. The season is largely a write off, sacking a Manager mid season will mean us lumped with Dunc or Unsworth who are in no way, shape or form safer hands and the money used to sack the fella will see us having no budget in January or worst case scenario breaking FFP and getting a fine/points deduction.

I'll be massively shocked if Benitez isn't Everton manager come this time next season and I imagine whilst BMD is being built / finances are improved the remit is to simply stay in the PL - fans wont like that but it is the reality of the situation and you can't take that out on manager.

Let’s not pretend you always need a decent squad to grind out results. We got a point against them lot with this pile of steaming dung under Allardyce.

Use what you have the smartest way possible.

View attachment 146592
I suspect large Samuel chuckles to himself at the state of us. "They got rid of me because I was unpopular with the fans and didn't play fancy football. Lol"

I suspect large Samuel chuckles to himself at the state of us. "They got rid of me because I was unpopular with the fans and didn't play fancy football. Lol"
Same thing happened with him and West Ham, but I suspect large Samuel spends a lot of time chuckling to himself.

He strikes me as the kind of man that would find his own flatulence humorous.

Sorry?
Have we had dcl? James? Sigurdson?
It doesn’t matter where we were in March does it? We finished below midtable, we have a midtable squad with severe injury list, that spent £1.7 in the summer. Whilst losing Bernard, hamaz and sigurdson - two of which, while not consistent could win games.
We are in bad shape. This isn’t the managers fault and bringing someone in now would be the worst thing the club could do

But the club brought on losing James - they literally moved heaven and earth outside of the transfer window to get him out of the door, and the manager supported that.

Now it's not the reason for our issues but you can't then use it as an excuse as you have done there. Same as that 32-year-old footballer we aren't allowed to mention. People hated him being in the team...

The footy was tosh even when our better players were fit and relied on flashes so it's not just suddenly going to come good. DCL played 3 games and we created two chances for him. He scored one, v S'ton, and missed a one v one against Leeds. The other two were pens, which is fine, but it's not like we were free flowing in open play like some people like to imagine we are.

But the club brought on losing James - they literally moved heaven and earth outside of the transfer window to get him out of the door, and the manager supported that.

Now it's not the reason for our issues but you can't then use it as an excuse as you have done there. Same as that 32-year-old footballer we aren't allowed to mention. People hated him being in the team...

The footy was tosh even when our better players were fit and relied on flashes so it's not just suddenly going to come good. DCL played 3 games and we created two chances for him. He scored one, v S'ton, and missed a one v one against Leeds. The other two were pens, which is fine, but it's not like we were free flowing in open play like some people like to imagine we are.
think the 32 year old we can’t mention was also a situation he has had to deal with behind the scene.
Point I’m making is midtable side last season, even worse this season. Ravaged with injuries.
Tell me one manager that would take the job and do better

Unless we are in genuine threat of relegation he shouldn't be going anywhere. The season is largely a write off, sacking a Manager mid season will mean us lumped with Dunc or Unsworth who are in no way, shape or form safer hands and the money used to sack the fella will see us having no budget in January or worst case scenario breaking FFP and getting a fine/points deduction.

I'll be massively shocked if Benitez isn't Everton manager come this time next season and I imagine whilst BMD is being built / finances are improved the remit is to simply stay in the PL - fans wont like that but it is the reality of the situation and you can't take that out on manager.
I think there's a real risk that Benitez takes us down unless he gets his head out of his arse.

But instead he's doing what fans are doing: 'we have injuries', 'wait until the second half of the season'

It's okay if fans say that, they're fans. This is the manager of the football club, saying 'let's wait a few months'? Why? What's gonna happen then? Dom is back and has to play every game every 3 days and then someone else goes and gets injured?

I think there's a real risk that Benitez takes us down unless he gets his head out of his arse.

But instead he's doing what fans are doing: 'we have injuries', 'wait until the second half of the season'

It's okay if fans say that, they're fans. This is the manager of the football club, saying 'let's wait a few months'? Why? What's gonna happen then? Dom is back and has to play every game every 3 days and then someone else goes and gets injured?
He’s saying it because he’s exactly like the rest of the fans - doesn’t manage, coach or influence the players performance on the field of play. Just praying for players to come back and hoping for the best.

That is no manager - that is a disgrace to the title and he should sacked with immediate effect.

Last edited:

End of the day mate we're 11th with 27 games to go - we did this with Koeman when we're genuinely lifeless and in the bottom 3 places which lumped us with Alladyce - we weren't lifeless against Spurs and was robbed by VAR of a penalty.

We're mid season and skint - we aint getting no one decent coming in until at minimum end of the season so the minority of radicals who've wanted him out from day one will have to accept he isn't going anywhere until absolutely necessary.

All this "well the 9 clubs below us could, may, possibly, might be above us in 2 games time" is no different to me saying we'll get 6 points out the next 2 games.

Until it happens and we are rooted in the bottom 3 then there is no reason to panic. 1 or 2 results and we'll be fine.

Come back to me in 10 games time and if we're bottom 3 fair enough he has to go but im not wetting the bed just yet as Dunc wont do anything with no DCL to lump it up to and we won't be getting any good manager in mid season who'll do any better with these injuries.

For someone who had some of the most crazy takes on dcl ability, I am concerned that I agree with everything you have said here.
We have no money to spend, and our squad is poor. We would not attract a manager we need

Got back to the vaults but my view hasn't changed.

Manager should get a full 3 seasons to build a solid side. Buy sensibly, get shut of what we don't need, then look to upgrade manager and provide funds by the new stadium arrival.

The Koeman/Walsh reign damaged us for 3 seasons. Brands not striking a balance between casting deadwood and buying quality for the years after. Chopping and changing managers every 18 months doesn't help build anything.

Personally think Ancelotti and Benitez were/are the best choices in getting blood from a stone out of this squad. Anyone else wouldve been a gamble that we can't afford to play at the moment. After stability, then we can look to go that route.

Suck it up and accept it.

He’s saying it because he’s exactly like the rest of the fans - doesn’t manage, coach or influence the players performance on the field of play. Just praying for players to come back and hoping for the best.

That is no manager - that is a disgrace to the title and he should sacked with immediate effect.
Is this the new narrative you are pushing? I'm genuinely intrigued you half believe what you type in the forums. If anything, all indications and ex players point to him micro managing too much they feel like robots. Dislike him all you want but try to at least make some valid points. Laughable and childish really.

We say that with every manager and even Moyes had it when he always started horrifically in the first half of a season until turning it around by Jan.

We've been in worse states and not been relegated. It's completely PTSD from the Walker and Smith days that some can't shake off

Status
Not open for further replies.