Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are not three worse teams than us in this division if we are without 2-3 first XI players for an extended period of time. Might be between us and Burnley for 18th place this season if our injury luck continues.

The set pieces are what are truly killing us. Last season after about mid-October right through until the end of the season we were just as passive in our intensity and just as clueless on the ball as we are now but keeping set pieces out of our net and scoring them at the other end is what kept us competitive.

The reason the Watford collapse was allowed to happen was because we let them back into it through set pieces, we let Wolves open the scoring with a corner, Crystal Palace and Aston Villa put the game beyond us with corners, West Ham snatched a win in a nothing 0-0 game with a corner and I'm sure I'm missing some other examples too.

It is worrying to think how self obsessed Benitez has to be to insist on his failing methods for set pieces when a superior way literally already exists in the dressing room from last season.

Set pieces are what could send us down. Teams either snatch wins off us in games that are heading for a draw or put us to far out of reach when a comeback may be on the cards. Add to that the fact that we can't score them ourselves and the goal swing that we are suffering from compared to last season is enormous.

The absence of Mina and DCL is killing us from set pieces in both boxes

"It's a poor old team to play for, it's an even worse team to support, and if you're honest with yourself, it's enough to make your guts go blu-eur-gh-gh!"

It really is. I love the concept of EFC but the reality is shockingly embarrassing!

PS I worked really hard on counting the syllables in much the same way a five-year-old tries to colour in the lines

There are not three worse teams than us in this division if we are without 2-3 first XI players for an extended period of time. Might be between us and Burnley for 18th place this season if our injury luck continues.
The teams below won’t be able to field there full team every week between now and the end of the season and will find themselves in a similar position.. big difference is there teams are weaker anyway and they don’t have the points on the board.

22 games of the season left. For 40 points we need to win about 7 of those games. It's a tough ask really, and with our injury troubles continuing as they are it will probably go to the wire. How depressing

I've been a blue for over 50 years, seen some glorious times, seen some horrendous ones.
Even with a couple of near-misses I've never really being concerned that we could be relegated.
Well the last 12 months has changed that. Downward spiral under 2 managers.
the players are over paid and woefully under performing.
Easy money no hassle for them.
I fear that we'll be relegated this time under Sr B.and unless big changes are made it'll be a long time before we get back. Can't see us doing the yo yo thing like WBA, Norwich, Fulham and the like. More like Sunderland and Bolton imo
Need a complete clear out at Goodison.

22 games of the season left. For 40 points we need to win about 7 of those games. It's a tough ask really, and with our injury troubles continuing as they are it will probably go to the wire. How depressing
Luckily it won't take 40 this year if you look at the bottom three and how many points they have, but we will still need five wins minimum and some draws and I don't see where they come from right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.