New Everton Stadium Discussion

The king of Liverpool joke.

The Romans had conquered most of Britain but this small place called Liverpool couldn’t be taken. After months of hand to hand fighting there was just the King left. He moved to a cave and invited the Romans to attack him, saying “I’m all on my own”. They sent in 100 men, all were killed. Completely wiped out. The king of Liverpool shouted out to the Romans “you are cowards, send in your good lads, I’m all on my own”, and they did, 500 of the best Roman troops were sent in, all but one was killed. The survivor crawled back to his Commander who asked what had happened and the soldier said “ he’s a lying barsteward, there’s two of them”……

308025AB-F0AA-4D91-A20B-1C093719F948.jpeg

Stayed in the Titanic Hotel last night & had a boss view of Bramley Moore. Looks impressive on the drone footage etc, but basically seeing it with my own eyes is amazing.

Oh yeah, the entire waterfront is on reclaimed land.
The pool after which Liverpool is named doesn't even exist anymore. Water Street used to be so named as it ran to the waterfront. Now it has the strand, and everything beyond it between it and the water.
I'll see if I can find the old map.
Find it fascinating that the pool inlet used to run inland right up to the Williamson Sq/Islington as your map shows. And Strand comes I believe from the old Norse word for beach/shore.

Yeah it's great stuff, I live down in Sussex these days and there is loads of cool Roman stuff round here, they are still finding things all the time.

A great watch - thank you! The history of Liverpool and its many waterways has all been an interest of mine.

While nothing to do with our stadium, I have friends who live in the Aigburth Area and when you ask them which is the the closest river to their house...

...they often get it wrong. Most would say the Mersey, but it isn't. It's the River Jordan, which you can still see today at Aigburth Vale / Otterspool Promenade.

The source was the two brooks, one in Wavertree (hence the name of the Brookhouse on Smithdown*) and the other from top of Kensington down Edge Hill.

The lakes in Sefton Park and Greenbank are constructed from placing dams on the brooks, but a minimal flow is still allowed although in a culvert.

Jericho Lane gets its name because of the significance of the other famous river called the Jordan.

otterspool-1810.jpg

upper-and-lower-brooks-1840-43-map.jpg

*The Brookhouse was situated where it is as it allowed a free-supply of clean water.

For people who are unfamiliar with Liverpool, and the fact it had a castle, the castle on the map of Lerpol is where the Victoria monument is now, near the courts.

Brilliant that!

So, anyone know what the origins of Lerpole are, as in naming?

*ignore, I carried on reading thread! Ta

A great watch - thank you! The history of Liverpool and its many waterways has all been an interest of mine.

While nothing to do with our stadium, I have friends who live in the Aigburth Area and when you ask them which is the the closest river to their house...

...they often get it wrong. Most would say the Mersey, but it isn't. It's the River Jordan, which you can still see today at Aigburth Vale / Otterspool Promenade.

The source was the two brooks, one in Wavertree (hence the name of the Brookhouse on Smithdown*) and the other from top of Kensington down Edge Hill.

The lakes in Sefton Park and Greenbank are constructed from placing dams on the brooks, but a minimal flow is still allowed although in a culvert.

Jericho Lane gets its name because of the significance of the other famous river called the Jordan.

otterspool-1810.jpg

upper-and-lower-brooks-1840-43-map.jpg

*The Brookhouse was situated where it is as it allowed a free-supply of clean water.
Does Chris Grundy post on here as I posted this yesterday and it’s now in the Echo or just a coincidence?