Transfer Rumour Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

No it's not at all. It's that in this current system that Benitez has played (541 or 4411) I don't see him adding what we need to make it work and I'm not sure playing him in a 433 works if Allan is behind him, but we might be able to muddle through if it's Allan and Longstaff being a bit deeper as a double pivot (kind of) and let Doucoure do the roaming. that would mean Allan and Longstaff being drilled to take turns in moving forward while the other one sits. It's doable, I just don't know if I trust the tactical genius to do it as he's shown no inclination of even trying such flexibility so far.

But to be clear, again, I don't think Longstaff is a 6, I don't think he's an 8 either. He's just a central midfielder who can be neat and tidy on the ball and hassle off it. Which is fine, I'm not hugely against the signing, I just don't see where he helps us massively unless Benitez changes the system. I don't think Longstaff is the player he was when he played 9 league games under Benitez in the 541 shape either. I think he's developed into a player who wants to press a bit more and that's the better part of his game. It does leave him open to being bypassed, like it does with Allan, and leaving space though.

EDIT: If we're doing the numbers thing, he might be like the Spanish No.5. in a 433 they'd be the Busquets type but in certain teams they're the midfielder who is simply responsible for keeping possession and getting about the pitch a bit, and i'd say he falls into that second category. It's all about the blend in midfield.
The two new FBs might transform the way Benitez sets up.

You just cant assume Benitez will stick with the systems he has so far.

In the same way Doucoure is a 6 at a pinch mate, but we know Doucoure is a natural 8 where he’s at his best.

Longstaff is an 8 all day, in the way Gerrard (spits) was an 8.

My opinion anyway.
It's spot on as opinions go. Admittedly I've only just sat up and taken notice of Longstaff, but that's what his highlight packages tend to suggest.

IMO he could be the Doucoure understudy. We badly missed Doucoure and Benitez must have been rocked by it and vowed to get a stand in during January.

I dont see any contradiction. I already said from what I seen of the videos and know little about him. I'm not hanging my hat on them.
You sought to belittle @BlueToff by suggesting he was presenting a case regarding Longstaffs abilities that was not supported by the fan video you presented. This is despite you previously stating that terrible players could be made to look great on YouTube. You also supported @Neiler 's view on the player over BlueToff's, despite them essentially sharing the same opinion hilariously, after admitting having no knowledge of the player.

Logical and rational, Dave, logical and rational.

The two new FBs might transform the way Benitez sets up.

You just cant assume Benitez will stick with the systems he has so far.
He's always played a 4231 or 541 throughout his career both out dated formations that don't suit our players. He isn't going to change after twenty plus years. He's also very negative in everything he does, that isn't changing either.

He's always played a 4231 or 541 throughout his career both out dated formations that don't suit our players. He isn't going to change after twenty plus years. He's also very negative in everything he does, that isn't changing either.
But, but, but, his teams are always aggressive and play on the front foot. Benitez said so in his puff piece, I mean serious interview, today, so it must be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.