2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are Benitez signings. There's no layer of bureacracy above Benitez now. If he didn't want them do you think he'd have them here? Itls his choice to go ahead with these signings. There's no morsel of comfort there for anyone who wants him out that another figure is conducting transfer activity and it doesn't mean a thing for his tenure here. He is being allowed to back his judgement and roll out a team. His team.

So by that logic, his team, his failure to win games. He will fall on his sword soon enough

Not as bad as this. I'm not saying we've had a lovely time of it lately as that is a ludicrous assertion - mediocrity has permeated our club for years now - but we've been getting swotted away in games like some of the dark days of constant relegation fights.
You must be joking. We were 18th when Silva was sacked and 18th when Koeman was sacked.

Remember that, because it's the only way Moshiri will act.

Let's be completely clear. None of this is a blip. We've been garbage for most of the season, with the exception of a few games at the start where we played some poor teams. Even the games we won - Burnley, Southampton, Brighton - we were 2nd best for large parts of those games. 6 points in 12 games isn't a bit of a poor run, it is an absolute horror show that no amount of injuries can possibly justify.

There's accepting a transitional season while seeing evidence of long-term green shoots. Then there's been our season to date.

It all comes down to us appointing the wrong manager at the wrong time. We needed and still need a total rebuild. Benitez, as far as I can see, is not the man to do that. Be pleased to be proved wrong on that, but can't see it.
I agree with the first two sentences. On regards as everton over the last 5 years

You've had my answer.
No because you’ve acknowledged that he would sack him if in the bottom 3 - I’d like to know if you think being bottom 3 for the first time with a handful of games left would be something he’d be prepared to accept under this manager?

I agree with you he's probably not going anywhere unless he loses a few in a row here but Kevs right with the way we're picking up points if that happens later in the season rather than now then we're 'Donald ducked' big time. If I was Moshiri and we weren't at 28-30 points come Man City 26 Feb then I'd be sacking him. Anything below that by that stage of the season puts us in a tricky spot probably sitting around 15th/16th with trickier games coming up and less 'winnable' games left.
Keep as much of an eye on any movement from below. If there's any stirrings from the dead men at the foot of the table and we aren't picking up our points there's a good chance he will be sacked...there's a lot of moving parts on that scenario though, and I dont expect both us not winning AND the bottom three or four picking up.

That's not reading the situation realistically.

I'll be honest - despite the bravado at the time I wouldn't have been at all surprised if Benitez had been sacked after the derby.

But once that came and went and we beat Arsenal (yes, were beaten at Palace) and drew with Chelsea, I knew Moshiri wasn't looking at this manager in the same way as he has the others who he sacked.

I think he's completely in lock step with Benitez and he's backing him to the hilt with time and whatever cash is available right now. The only thing that will trigger a sacking IMO is if we join the bottom 3 in the next few weeks.

That won’t happen, we’ve learnt how to score goals again. For ages we tried to dribble them into the back of the net, now we have the confidence to smash them from anywhere…..

No because you’ve acknowledged that he would sack him if in the bottom 3 - I’d like to know if you think being bottom 3 for the first time with a handful of games left would be something he’d be prepared to accept under this manager?
I think if the bottom 3 / 4 stir and we dont pick up and the games are disappearing - we'll see a sacking.

But we are nowhere near that. There's more chance we get closer to midtable than the bottom 3.

That won’t happen, we’ve learnt how to score goals again. For ages we tried to dribble them into the back of the net, now we have the confidence to smash them from anywhere…..
I agree. I posted a table earlier showing we our midtable in terms of goals scored and shots taken on. If we just tighten up in defence even moderately then we convert draws into wins and defeats into draws.

Keep as much of an eye on any movement from below. If there's any stirrings from the dead men at the foot of the table and we aren't picking up our points there's a good chance he will be sacked...there's a lot of moving parts on that scenario though, and I dont expect both us not winning AND the bottom three or four picking up.
Well I hope you're right. We shouldn't be in this situation. The squad isn't great but it's certainly not this bad, I've gave him the injury excuse and the lack of transfer kitty and was firmly behind him for those reasons. Those excuses don't really exist anymore and Brighton and Hull were worrying displays I'm sure you'd agree mate. Personally I think he should be sacked if he can't get all 3 points against Norwich but I'm really hoping he can turn it around as him being sacked is another host of things to worry about also

Well I hope you're right. We shouldn't be in this situation. The squad isn't great but it's certainly not this bad, I've gave him the injury excuse and the lack of transfer kitty and was firmly behind him for those reasons. Those excuses don't really exist anymore and Brighton and Hull were worrying displays I'm sure you'd agree mate. Personally I think he should be sacked if he can't get all 3 points against Norwich but I'm really hoping he can turn it around as him being sacked is another host of things to worry about also
No middling PL team (which we are) could survive their best two strikers being unavailable for most of the season...THAT is why we are where we are. And Richarlison and DCL contributed a lot also to set piece defending - let's not forget that.

I think if the bottom 3 / 4 stir and we dont pick up and the games are disappearing - we'll see a sacking.

But we are nowhere near that. There's more chance we get closer to midtable than the bottom 3.
I would argue that has already happened albeit in the manner of frog being boiled - Leeds since game 6 have gained 10 points on us, Burnley have gained 4, even Norwich have gained 4. Give it another 15 games as I’ve said and they’ll have reeled us in.

The run in (and by that I mean 12 games!) is brutal for us as well

Last edited:
They are Benitez signings. There's no layer of bureacracy above Benitez now. If he didn't want them do you think he'd have them here? Itls his choice to go ahead with these signings. There's no morsel of comfort there for anyone who wants him out that another figure is conducting transfer activity and it doesn't mean a thing for his tenure here. He is being allowed to back his judgement and roll out a team. His team.
No I imagine they are his signings, but seemingly the leg work was done prior to his arrival.

Presumably he's evaluated the scouting before hand and decided these two are the right fit.

Nowhere to hide now though if they fall flat.

If we lose against Norwich, surely he will be that embarrassed and ashamed he will resign.
However I’m going for a 1-1 draw, where we battle back and sneak a goal on the counter with the last of our 30% possession.
UTFT

Dave has nailed his colours to the mast as a Rafatonian.

He is perfectly happy with turgid Stoke brand football and appalling results* provided Benitez rids us of our cowards.

37 games in sitting in 17th and Dave is all in and flying the Benitez flag. 38 games and 18th and he's a out and Moshiri will be to blame.

*A stark contrast to his opinion of the club under other managers btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.