2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kieran Trippier going for £12M and you think we didn't get top whack for a player who hasn't produced for 18 months?

Do me a kin favour.

We've just done Villa.
In season 20/21 Digne was Everton's highest ranked player for assists, chances created, crosses and key passes. He's a defender ffs. Forgive me if I'm wrong but the whole of season 20/21 falls within the last 18 months I believe.

Now I accept that he may not have produced the same level of attacking performance over the last 6 months, or since our current manager took over. But that is because he has been instructed by the current manager not to venture forward too much and was also taken off set piece duties. Strangely enough we have gone from the highest scorers from set pieces last season, to one of the worst this season..

Bottom line is we have one of the best attacking left backs in the Premier League, if not in the whole of Europe, and he has been instructed not to attack by our current manager. He has 43 International caps for world champions France, 13 of them won in the last 18 months when, according to you, he hasn't produced.

Your argument only stacks up inside your own head Dave. Selling our best players like Lucas Digne will only make Everton a worse side. Selling them to our peers like Aston Villa will only make them a better side than us. Selling them to that #@#@ Gerrard, actually makes me ill.

Plenty of crap strikers have gone for inflated fees because everyone needs more goal scoring. Teams are more than happy to have a meh left back.

That's not true, fullbacks in most good teams are top class as it's not only their defensive qualities that are important full backs are now a much more creative force nowadays. Chillwell was £50m I think, anyone else buying Wood, would not have spent more than £18m, due to his age, contract length and quality.

That's not true, fullbacks in most good teams are top class as it's not only their defensive qualities that are important full backs are now a much more creative force nowadays. Chillwell was £50m I think, anyone else buying Wood, would not have spent more than £18m, due to his age, contract length and quality.
The top teams have world class players in every position. Everyone else spends less on fullbacks.

In season 20/21 Digne was Everton's highest ranked player for assists, chances created, crosses and key passes. He's a defender ffs. Forgive me if I'm wrong but the whole of season 20/21 falls within the last 18 months I believe.

Now I accept that he may not have produced the same level of attacking performance over the last 6 months, or since our current manager took over. But that is because he has been instructed by the current manager not to venture forward too much and was also taken off set piece duties. Strangely enough we have gone from the highest scorers from set pieces last season, to one of the worst this season..

Bottom line is we have one of the best attacking left backs in the Premier League, if not in the whole of Europe, and he has been instructed not to attack by our current manager. He has 43 International caps for world champions France, 13 of them won in the last 18 months when, according to you, he hasn't produced.

Your argument only stacks up inside your own head Dave. Selling our best players like Lucas Digne will only make Everton a worse side. Selling them to our peers like Aston Villa will only make them a better side than us. Selling them to that #@#@ Gerrard, actually makes me ill.
You think we could get more than £25M for that Frenchman?

That's the issue being discussed.

Good deal in my opinion, I thought like most he was an asset going forward but a liability as a defensive option, he hasn’t been that good for us for awhile and is on the decline age wise so getting good money for him now makes sense

So all of a sudden Brands is a good guy? really? have you actually analyzed the work he did?

Not saying that at all just trying to get Dave to pull his head in a bit and let it rest. None of us knows exactly who did what, have you conducted a detailed review? You have inside info?

Tell us all. BTW are you saying all the managers have been good guys?

I think villa are in for a surprise here. Really a good deal from our point of view .
Would have liked more but time will tell if its a good deal..... if it helps with FFP and we spend wisely ... great. If we continue to buy useless dross ....doesn't really matter does it ? This move has been on the cards for weeks. It's the deals ( both ins/outs ) for the rest of the window that will chart our path for the rest of a somewhat dire season so far.

Kieran Trippier going for £12M and you think we didn't get top whack for a player who hasn't produced for 18 months?

Do me a kin favour.

We've just done Villa.
He has produced in 18 months though David, what you lying for?

Second-most creative full-back in the league (and unlike you and your dinosaur mate, most people realise full-backs are now crucial to attacks, and that it's the job of a three-man midfield to support the defence and enable full-backs to get forward (they still have to defend but attacking is just as crucial now)) since he joined, on a long-term deal and in the peak of his career with tons of international and PL and CL experience etc.

His value, if not selling in these circumstances, is way above £22-23m which is what we're getting. We've just paid £17m for a lad from Kyiv and £11m for a lad with 27 senior apps.

Trippier is three years older than Digne.

Status
Not open for further replies.