2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's the type of player who joins a club, starts well but slowly stagnates after 2-3 good seasons and moves on.

He's not the difference between top 6 and top 10 so im not that bothered.

'If he was good' - have you not watched us for the last three and a half years???

Yeah, right now, Villa clearly the best he could get after Chelsea who wouldn't even entertain offering money Everton wanted because they were trying to get Emerson back. I thought they would go for it but they do have three LBs on their books.

If you think any European team is currently in a position to lump £25m at Everton then you honestly need to realise how dire the financial situation is for a lot of those clubs.

What top six club other than Chelsea currently needs a LB?

City have Cancelo, Zinchenko and Ake (they are also still paying Mendy)
Arsenal have Tierney and Taveres
Liverpool have Robertson and Tsimikas
Man Utd have Shaw and Telles
Spurs have Reguillon and Davies

This isn't about excuses. He's gone where the manager wants him and Villa are an ambitious club that want to push on. He's a very good player and he's going to play games in a WC year. He was happy at Everton up until the walking disaster came in, but given our financial situation it's good to sell a 28-year-old and reinvest the money as we have done. But we didn't help ourselves with how it was handled.

Yeah i have watched him for 3 years. Virtualy every game. He's like all the Everton defenders here. He cant defend.
But we've been over this.
The point was/is you're reeling off clubs that were interested in him. is all hearsay.
Facts are. Two clubs who offically declared interest are newcastle and aston villa. No top clubs were falling over themselves for him. None.

No ill will towards the guy, hope he does ok at Villa. Quite glad he's gone though, and for a good price.

For an attacking full back, he can't beat anybody for pace or with skill, so that leaves him being good at crossing and surprisingly good in the air, which makes him about as attacking as a Burnley full back.
A Burnley full-back that is more creative than Robertson across the last 3.5 years and behind only Alexander-Arnold, mind.

Yeah i have watched him for 3 years. Virtualy every game. He's like all the Everton defenders here. He cant defend.
But we've been over this.
The point was/is you're reeling off clubs that were interested in him. is all hearsay.
Facts are. Two clubs who offically declared interest are newcastle and aston villa. No top clubs were falling over themselves for him. None.
Defending needs to be done as a unit and certainly this season, and in a lot of games over the last few years, Everton do not defend as a unit.

A full-back is no longer a defender. They are just as important going forwards as backwards. Welcome to football in 2022.

I've gone through, in painstaking detail and literally named the full-back options those clubs have for left-back, that the top PL clubs (the only ones that could afford him this window as they can't abroad) have options there. Why would they look to change that midway through the season when they're not desperate, which none of them, bar Chelsea, are? And Chelsea have 3 LBs on their books.

Very good player. I’ll miss him.
This. But you've got idiots who say he's been crap for 18 months and that he can't defend (despite being proven wrong).

He's been a good player for us, we've turned a small profit and considering the circumstances, we've done well. Shame we're selling to a team that really is a direct mid-table rival but it is what it is, we've got two players in and not paid much in that terms because of the Digne fee.

Defending needs to be done as a unit and certainly this season, and in a lot of games over the last few years, Everton do not defend as a unit.

A full-back is no longer a defender. They are just as important going forwards as backwards. Welcome to football in 2022.

I've gone through, in painstaking detail and literally named the full-back options those clubs have for left-back, that the top PL clubs (the only ones that could afford him this window as they can't abroad) have options there. Why would they look to change that midway through the season when they're not desperate, which none of them, bar Chelsea, are? And Chelsea have 3 LBs on their books.

And he's been a huge part of that negative goal difference each season.
I'd like to get rid of all of them. If digne is first out the door then so be it.

This. But you've got idiots who say he's been crap for 18 months and that he can't defend (despite being proven wrong).

He's been a good player for us, we've turned a small profit and considering the circumstances, we've done well. Shame we're selling to a team that really is a direct mid-table rival but it is what it is, we've got two players in and not paid much in that terms because of the Digne fee.
100% agree with all of it.

I agree the deal is a decent deal and we where never going to get more as the seasons go on.

I don’t need to lie to make myself feel better and say he was crap etc. I’ll miss him and think it will hurt us in the short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.