Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We risk relegation, no matter who we appoint. We're only 6 points off the drop zone.
Yes but we give ourselves a better shot with a manager who makes us solid and hard to beat as a base. Bobby will not do that his achilles heel is the same as Benitez's this season, poor defensively and bad at defending set pieces. I have nightmares of Keane and Coleman playing it around the back.

Too much noise around brown shoes for that not to be ongoing, which is absolutley, gutwrenchingly depressing, and reeks of kenwright.

Theres no problem letting Ferguson and baines take interim charge, and take villa, the cup game and even more fixtures while the board do a proper search, with a number of candidate interviews so they can decide in the best option.

Sake, it's how any recruitment process should be in any professional organisation or business.

Sadly, it seems old boys pen has pulled out his little blue book and got all sentimental with his preferred candidates.

It's so short sighted and incompetent when there's a whole world of football coaches and managers to choose from.

In fact, it isn't short sighted, it's complete blindness.

Just pray they do the process justice FFS, and speak to as many people as possible, including kovac, amorim, potter, Gaultier etc - were paying stupidly well, so we need to stop thinking we can't get one of these types of manager.

Off topic a bit, but while I was very disappointed when Carlo left, because I was sure that he would've worked out what Everton
needed and brought in the right players in the Summer window, it didn't matter because he wouldn't have had the money and probably knew that.

On topic, I'd like Graham Potter. He was in the frame before and he has a very impressive resume, imo. One pundit I heard asked
why would he leave Brighton to take this job, but Don Hutcheson thinks he could be persuaded.
Almost any manager is a risk but who'd have thought Benitez would've been so tactically hopeless with his team selections.

I think we could have really got Potter last summer. Now? Was that a little dig at Everton today with his comment when asked about Everton and his response saying Brighton being one of the best run clubs in the country with a great chairman? I doubt it as he doesnt come across as the type. But he's an intelligent fella and must be thinking ive a good job here. Go to Everton. 6 managers in 6 years or whatever it is. Nah. I'll stay here.
I was cringing last night watching motd2. We were being called a shambles on national tv. And i couldnt even argue with it.

I do not know what's next for us. I think season after season we should just look at mid-table challenge while rebuilding. The owner has to appoint someone who
(1) See the project long term (have a proper vision and philosophy. Not vague vision like "Europe in 5 years" but proper footballing vision)
(2) Have the fans' backing and patience
(3) Have the board's backing and patience

The key is patience but I think the next manager should be someone who is "approved" by everyone. Example is Arteta at Arsenal, the fans got behind him despite poor results and poor start. I think the fans would've endure Carlo; had we have some poor results too.

I think we could have really got Potter last summer. Now? Was that a little dig at Everton today with his comment when asked about Everton and his response saying Brighton being one of the best run clubs in the country with a great chairman? I doubt it as he doesnt come across as the type. But he's an intelligent fella and must be thinking ive a good job here. Go to Everton. 6 managers in 6 years or whatever it is. Nah. I'll stay here.
I was cringing last night watching motd2. We were being called a shambles on national tv. And i couldnt even argue with it.
I hear Potter has the same agent as Rodgers.... Could see him take over Leicester once Rodgers is done.... Tbf to him, it'd be a sensible move for his career.

I do not know what's next for us. I think season after season we should just look at mid-table challenge while rebuilding. The owner has to appoint someone who
(1) See the project long term (have a proper vision and philosophy. Not vague vision like "Europe in 5 years" but proper footballing vision)
(2) Have the fans' backing and patience
(3) Have the board's backing and patience

The key is patience but I think the next manager should be someone who is "approved" by everyone. Example is Arteta at Arsenal, the fans got behind him despite poor results and poor start. I think the fans would've endure Carlo; had we have some poor results too.
Exactly and Martinez isn't it, he is probably one of the most divisive managers they could appoint after Benitez

Unpopular opinion here, but I really have doubts about Kovac's quality.

I watch a lot of Bundesliga and Ligue 1 and his sides have never impressed me at all. Now, I'm not claiming to be a know-it-all here, football is a game of opinions and I am just sharing mine. But from what I've seen (based on the eye and not stats), his teams don't play good football on the whole and don't press (a key component of the modern game). He also is an extremely divisive figure and seems to cause consternation wherever he goes.

I know on face value his win% etc looks good, but these were massively padded by his time at Bayern. I haven't seen as much of his sides as I have of other coaches (Galtier for example) but I really don't get the fuss. I have asked others who watch a lot more European footy than I do and they all seemed to agree.

Now, I know he might still be the best of a frankly awful list of candidates, but I am surprised to see so many people lauding him on here. He might turn out to be great, but from what I've seen, I have my doubts ?

Totally agree. He seemed to do well at Bayern and Monaco initially but then dropped off 2nd season.

Monaco have some really tasty players and for him not to have them in 2nd/3rd is frankly bizarre. I dont think they were even top 4 all this season.

One thing that bothers me when we get a new manager (which seems all to often in recent years) is how they then come in and “assess the squad” before making decisions.

You can just see the new manager now looking at the list: “Keane…yep, he cost £20m+ I remember he was decent at Burnley, I’m sure I can get a tune out of him…Alex Iwobi another big money signing, let’s see what we can do…Coleman is very vocal and well respected, he can start as captain…” etc

Whereas we as fans of the club could give you a definitive list right now of players who are not and never will be good enough to play for us:
• Seamus Coleman
• Jonjoe Kenny
• Michael Keane
• Mason Holgate
• Fabian Delph
• JP Gbamin
• Tom Davies
• Alex Iwobi
• Salomon Rondon
• Cenk Tosun

This is the problem in having no one overseeing the long-term strategy of the club; compounded by sacking managers regularly, it keeps these players on the books for much longer than they would’ve been otherwise.

Another thing considering we sack managers so often the fact they don't keep list of potentials for if and when an appointment doesn't work out is more negligence. Organised clubs are organised every time it's a scramble when we fire a manager, other clubs often appear to know who they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.