Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been 2 days.
Indeed.

But it's not as if three days ago everything was rosy and there was not even the faintest hint of a need to have some succession planning underway.

From a recruitment methodology viewpoint, it's ridiculously amateur. As an example, let me explain. Niko Kovac was sacked by Monaco two weeks ago. At that moment, a basic assessment should have been made at the club, along the lines of "Are we currently happy with our manager? Is he on a good trajectory? Do we have any concerns? Is it worth doing a bit more research on Kovac to see if he'd be a good fit in the event that Benitez really starts to struggle over the next couple weeks?" Looking at our run of results up to January 3rd / 4th / 5th, the upcoming fixtures at that point and then making sensible estimates of likely results given form at the time, we were obviously already doubting the manager's future. Therefore, the wheels of background research should already have been turning in respect of potential replacements.

Time and again some football clubs just refuse to follow accepted principles of competent business administration, and suffer for it. The more successful clubs tend to make fewer of these errors.

ALso dont ignore, what for me is a key point. When you set up to have no possession (whcih is what Benitez did, game after game). You are going to be defending more, you are going to see more individual mistakes withplayers who aren't brilliant on the ball.If we did get an attacking coach, whomever that may be, we would have more of the ball and the defence should organically improve on the stats because they are not spending every game with backs against the wall.
This is a great point, and the one thing that has been settling my brain over the prospect of a Martinez re-appointment.

Dan Squires in today's Guardian

1642508768635.png

Looks like Martinez is dead in the water… thank god!

Out of Rooney and Lampard it’s got to be Rooney all day long.
I'm torn between Rooney and Dunc myself . We have tried trendy and we have tried experience . Let's try passion and commitment . May be bumpy but I think it's worth a low cost punt .

Status
Not open for further replies.