Ferguson Caretaker Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to those crying how he got it 'badly wrong' and 'complete disaster', 'cant defend that lineup' etc - maybe offer an opinion on what you'd have done differently.

3 in midfield was a big miss for me initially. However, he explained Allan has had COVID and I can't really blame the guy for not wanting to throw Delph or Gbamin in there. That left only Onyango who he needed on the bench in case of injury which was ultimately justified.

3 in midfield was a big miss for me initially. However, he explained Allan has had COVID and I can't really blame the guy for not wanting to throw Delph or Gbamin in there. That left only Onyango who he needed on the bench in case of injury which was ultimately justified.

Been a problem most of the season. I've forever been banging on about how it's easy to say 3 in the middle but we've very rarely had 3 centre midfielders.

Allan wasn't fit enough to start today.

A vast improvement he had four days to work things out - every confidence in big Duncan we had to fire today - the referee never gave us much to, was he SG best mate ?

Maybe we give the manager job to her then mate eh?

Disagree myself.

I said before the game in the match thread that I'd not play Mykolenko and play Godfrey there instead.

Does it yeah? How?

Yeah this is the one change I'd have said.

Maybe Ferguson thought he needed an impact player available - Gordon himself admits he struggles with stamina/lasting a full game/

He's been in the job for 4 days mate.

days.

I've not seen Patterson kick a ball.

I doubt you have either.

"An absolute disgrace"

Perfect example of what I mean when I think one or two need to give their head a wobble and melodramatic.

I've seen plenty of Patterson mate don't worry.
Four days. It would take an hour to work out who is on set pieces and have them allocated accordingly. It's a stinging indictment that they've not planned them and it's not acceptable at elite level.

How is having a right footed centre half playing at LB helping Gray. Did you see the amount of times Gray had to collect the pass from Godfrey and go inside because it was poorly passed to him?

Equally did you count the amount of times Gray had someone go on his overlap and make space for him?

I think you've got your head in the sand or so far up Fergusons backside you can't see the wood from the trees.

Ok mate. Have to agree to disagree.

I think we created more chances than Aston Villa - and they won the game like.

Well the main reason we lost is of course due to another set play cock up.

We were bad yet again in both boxes. We didn't test their keeper and can't defend set plays. Xg can say whatever it likes but I didn't feel like we would ever score. DCL was miles off the pace, Richarlison was trying hard but little came off, Gordon should have started, Townsend was abysmal, the midfield were outfought.

I don't think there's any point saying we deserved to win because on the balance of play we didn't look like scoring. If you are going to be involved in lots of tight matches with little threat in open play, then you better be good at set pieces. And we are utterly atrocious.

That literally means nothing. We had 1 shot on target in 90 minutes

It takes into account the quality of the chances created.

Someone can put me through clean 1 on 1 and I can hit it off target, doesn't mean a good chance wasn't created.

DCL, Mina, Richarlison and Gray all had efforts they should have at least got on goal.

We created chances.

Didn't take them.

Hence my opinion on another day we get a decent result.

That would have been a point the way the season has gone.
This is what happened. Unfortunately some people refuse to accept it.

DCL is clearly rusty but the goals will come. He mistimed his jump several times and essentially missed an open goal when sliding in from Gordons excellent first time cross - please take note Gray, get the ball in early and stop chopping back ffs.
Mina had an easy header from a fantastic Allan cross and another good chance from a Gordon corner. 50p shaped head for both sadly.
I thought Godfrey should have scored with the header. Fair margin of error to the right of the defender on the line.
Gray had a great chance from a corner. Free hit from 14 yards but showed zero composure and slashed over.
Regardless of style of play that's 5 good chances from the top of my head in the 2nd half. Did Villa have a chance in the second half? I appreciate that was partly due to game management but even so, we had them on the ropes for pretty much the half.
We were poor first half but even then, if Doucoure had executed a regulation pass then Richy has a one on one.
Allan seemingly couldn't play more than around 50-60 mins hence why he didn't start.
In hindsight Gordon should have started but maybe he doesn't have the same impact on the game as a starter who knows. Townsend is an experienced player with a big goal in him but I thought his delivery was very poor and disappointing on the whole. Gordon will start the next game.
Style of play was direct and let's face it, grim, but in reality what did people expect in this game?
Kenny was horrific and I doubt he will play again. Patterson will surely be given a run.
Hopefully Doucoure wasn't injured too badly.
I'm not overly worried as we were competitive today, Villa have played some great football in recent games yet whilst they were the better team first half, we didn't allow them anything of note in the second half. Crucially we created a number of chances and with better finished plus a touch more care with a final pass, we will score goals. Rafael's parting shot was to sell Digne who assisted the Villa goal plus we could have really done with him today at left back with either Holgate or Godfrey at right back. Benetiz really is an odious, vile individual.
Any way, I'm confident we will turn it around. Chin up.

IMO the reason he was so effective in his first game last time, was because we’d been playing so passive under Silva, so when we came out the blocks at 100mph, the opposition (chelsea) weren’t prepared for it with their game plan, and it blew them away.

Villa knew what they were getting today, matched the intensity first half and took complete control of it.

We huffed and puffed a lot more second half, but Villa seemed relatively comfortable for me.

I've seen plenty of Patterson mate don't worry.
Four days. It would take an hour to work out who is on set pieces and have them allocated accordingly. It's a stinging indictment that they've not planned them and it's not acceptable at elite level.

How is having a right footed centre half playing at LB helping Gray. Did you see the amount of times Gray had to collect the pass from Godfrey and go inside because it was poorly passed to him?

Equally did you count the amount of times Gray had someone go on his overlap and make space for him?

I think you've got your head in the sand or so far up Fergusons backside you can't see the wood from the trees.

Not convinced on Mykolenko myself, said before the game and I'll say again I'd not be throwing him in if we can avoid it. Obviously very early days - but apparently he had a back strain which kept him out today anyway.

With regards to the last comment - not at all chief - just acknowledging you wetting the bed over a caretaker manager who has had 4 days prep, and a performance that wasn't that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.