Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I said the same in the match thread. However we did improve and get on top when Gordon and Allan came on in the same formation.

On reflection it was the lack of involvement of Gray (who was disappointing yesterday) and Dom in attack as well as a lack of quality that couldn't get us a step over the line.

The grip in midfield was mainly the first half.

Villa had the same issues also as both sides couldn't pass all game.
Villa put 3 players on Gray most of the time. They defended very well but we are very easy to defend against.

I don't think we defended badly, we just switched off at a vital moment.

I agree that we don’t want another outdated, old fashioned manager, but I’m not sure there’s much evidence that the great players of the noughties are reshaping football.

They certainly aren’t reshaping it just because they were great players in the noughties anyway, so if we were to get lampard I’d want it to be because we’ve identified something in his coaching and management that we think would work here, not just because we think he’s the type of appointment other clubs are making.
Spot on. We should only appoint someone because they're the right appointment due to their managerial ability and fitting the ethos and direction of the club.

Their playing career is the tiniest of factors, if not irrelevant.

Villa put 3 players on Gray most of the time. They defended very well but we are very easy to defend against.

I don't think we defended badly, we just switched off at a vital moment.
I said midway through the game that we needed to swap Gray with Townsend as he was having no look down the left - three men on him and no support.

It wasn't much of a surprise that Gordon came on and was able to run at them and get behind, whereas Gray had struggled to do so.

Spot on. We should only appoint someone because they're the right appointment due to their managerial ability and fitting the ethos and direction of the club.

Their playing career is the tiniest of factors, if not irrelevant.
I'm basing it on the jobs Lampard did plus his winning mentality.

He got top 4 during a transfer ban, using young players, after Hazard was sold, during a season of actual real football, not behind doors nonsense. What happened last year was not real football.

He did a great job at Chelsea. Laid foundations for Tuchel. The disrespect towards Lampard is totally ridiculous.

I'm basing it on the jobs Lampard did plus his winning mentality.

He got top 4 during a transfer ban, using young players, after Hazard was sold, during a season of actual real football, not behind doors nonsense. What happened last year was not real football.

He did a great job at Chelsea. Laid foundations for Tuchel. The disrespect towards Lampard is totally ridiculous.
He was also overruled on transfers and lots of the big money signings were done over his head. He was then expected to integrate them all into his functioning team regardless of the fact that it broke up his unit and they weren't given any time to adapt and settle. Which, when you didn't request them anyway, is a kick in the teeth to the team you have built.

The manager shortlist in ideal circumstances versus the situation we presently find ourselves in are very different and you get different skill-sets with different managers.

Obviously the need is for someone to do an Allardyce type rescue job. I wouldn't think though that should we survive, we can send whomever gets the job on their way with thanks and a big pay-off, should we decide that their face/football doesn't fit some presupposed ideal when the crisis is over.

You could well get people like Kovac looking at the situation and saying why would he bother. The issue at present is that none of the mooted candidates have the sort of fire-fighting experience we need and few if any of the better candidates who might get us out of trouble simply because they are good may be interested.

Rooney probably has the closest attributes coming from another crisis situation. But that's not a great endorsement of him in itself.

It's why I think a middle of the road candidate will emerge and why I'd make Lampard favourite for it now.

Last edited:

He was also overruled on transfers and lots of the big money signings were done over his head. He was then expected to integrate them all into his functioning team regardless of the fact that it broke up his unit and they weren't given any time to adapt and settle. Which, when you didn't request them anyway, is a kick in the teeth to the team you have built.
Yep I've made this point too many times. First thing Tuchel asked for was an upgrade on Werner.

Lampard is such an obvious choice for me.

Lampard is the right choice. People need to understand how the game is moving. The top players of my childhood in the noughties will lead the game forward In the next 20 years. Get with the times of get left behind.

The idea of replacing Benitez with a Allardyce or Mourinho type is utterly laughable. People clearly don't watch any football anymore and are watching PL years repeats on sky from 2005.
Tuchel has badly exposed lampard in my opinion...he was really bad for Chelsea at the end despite having an unbelievable squad. We may need somebody with experience to get out of this one

Tuchel has badly exposed lampard in my opinion...he was really bad for Chelsea at the end despite having an unbelievable squad. We may need somebody with experience to get out of this one
Comparing Tuchel to Lampard is completely pointless and I have said this many times.

Tuchel is elite. No elite manager is coming near us. Lampard was forced to try and gel all those new players and it took time but Lamapard laid the groundwork.

The Tuchel issue is irrelevant though. If we are looking for that calibre then we will never appoint another manager again.

Status
Not open for further replies.