Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koeman was good enough to get us 7th then we lost Lukaku and Walsh never replaced him / spent the money well enough.

Silva got us 8th - we then lost Gana and Zouma and Brands failed to replace either / didnt invest the money well enough.

The theme is obvious - recruitment has constantly let us down and we've lost good players and replaced them with average/poor ones.

Probably difficult to replace them when yer boss is insistent on forking over for £35m worth of Alex Iwobi.

Just get him in so we can get on with things.
I won't be disappointed with the appointment of Lampard as he knows the league inside out and will take on the job not being blinkered.

I know Chelsea are a different being to Everton but he did well when Chelsea had the transfer embargo (albeit a good squad anyway) then he signed good players the next season and started well but had a blip (Chelsea don't allow blips).

The team Lampard help put together won the Champions league. He will have learned from his time there so we are hoping he can kick on.

Problem is if he does a great job at Everton then Chelsea could just take him from us easily.

Really? Which ones? I mean, there are some very good managers in the Championship, but I think most teams at that level would welcome Lampard as their manager.
Write his name on thiet stadium n all would they. Think one or two clubs would be indifferent. To say the least.

Speaking as someone who's had approximately 10 2nd interviews before finally getting a job this week, I can tell you it's no guarantee lol

Koeman was good enough to get us 7th then we lost Lukaku and Walsh never replaced him / spent the money well enough.

Silva got us 8th - we then lost Gana and Zouma and Brands failed to replace either / didnt invest the money well enough.

The theme is obvious - recruitment has constantly let us down and we've lost good players and replaced them with average/poor ones.
We have to accept we are no longer a big club.

We are a team that has about 2 or 3 top players at one time with the rest being average. If the team do not kick on then those 2 or 3 players start looking elsewhere so we are and have been stuck in a cycle that does not see us progress. DCL, Richie will be possibly gone in the summer and we would have to replace them and here goes that nasty cycle of mediocrity

The more I look back on it, the more clear it is that that summer was the turning point. We had a chance to build on something after a few years of decline and Brands fluffed it.

Probably difficult to replace them when yer boss is insistent on forking over for £35m worth of Alex Iwobi.

Brands spent £55 million on Gomes, Gbamin & Delph!

And Iwobi cost £27 million and Silva mentioned they were looking at him all window so unless there is proof of Moshiri buying Iwobi its all conjecture.

The more I look back on it, the more clear it is that that summer was the turning point. We had a chance to build on something after a few years of decline and Brands fluffed it.

We had 2 chances mate - the summer we lost Rom we spent £150 million and largely wasted it.

Fast forward to Silva - now I wasnt Silva's biggest fan but we ended that season with a few good results including a 4-0 win against Utd.

We then lose Gana/Zouma and Brands spent £115 million and failured in replacing two of the best parts of the teams spine at the time and we struggled the season following.

The fans continue to miss the main reason why we are struggling - apparently Brands did a good job now its all Moshiri's fault he pissed so much money up the wall when 2 months back the very same fans were protesting AGAINST Brands!!! lol ?‍♂️

I'm not sure about Lampard. I think he's done OK with some favourable situations.

Chelsea had a CL winning squad at his disposal and managed a 4th place league finish, an FA Cup final defeat and a 52% win record over 80 odd games. Also got absolutely whacked in CL KO by Bayern.

At Derby he scraped into the playoffs despite having 3 of the best young players in the league at his disposal (Mount, Tomori and Wilson). Admittedly there were some decent teams, managers and players in the Championship in 2018/19 (namely Leeds, Villa, Norwich, a surging Sheff United) but his win record was again 40-50%.

At Everton he's in a situation where he hasn't got one of the best squads in the league. It's a new challenge for him. Maybe one he'll excel at. Maybe he's learnt a lot from time at Derby and Chelsea. But at the moment there's nothing in his managerial CV to suggest he's more than an average manager. Big risk (with potential big upside if he's learnt from previous job) appointing Lampard in the current situation.

Brands spent £55 million on Gomes, Gbamin & Delph!

And Iwobi cost £27 million and Silva mentioned they were looking at him all window so unless there is proof of Moshiri buying Iwobi its all conjecture.
While I don't disagree about recruitment...

Delph coming from that City team for £8m was not, at the time, a bad deal. Gbamin impressed in Germany and has suffered particularly badly through injury.

And the window we signed Iwobi, were interested/linked with lots of other players -Zaha strongly from memory. Iwobi seemed to be very much a last minute buy and a very expensive one at that.

I also cannot recall Silva saying we tracked Iwobi all window. Got a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.