2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have gone from FSW wanting to bring in Sean Longstaff to Frank Lampard bringing in Delle Alli in the space of a few weeks. Thank everything that the previous chapter is closed and this one looks a lot brighter already, the backroom staff are decent and if Ashley Cole does come in then along with Bainesy and some young fullbacks signed we could have a chance of playing a decent game. Still concerned over the central defence but if anyone can get them playing it is going to happen now. UTFT
A lot of the problems with our central defence is down to zonal marking at set pieces and stupid mistakes coupled with lack of confidence. We've also been missing our best defender, Mina, for most of the poor run of form and our defending is much better with him in it. With Mina back and getting a run of games I don't believe it will take much to turn our defence around.

I'd have Mina, Godfrey and Branthwaite being our first choice CBs when fit, and use Holgate and Keane as back up until they get their confidence back. Keane isn't a bad defender tbh, his heads just shot at the moment in the same way that Pickford's was 12 months ago. He came back from that.

A lot of the problems with our central defence is down to zonal marking at set pieces and stupid mistakes coupled with lack of confidence. We've also been missing our best defender, Mina, for most of the poor run of form and our defending is much better with him in it. With Mina back and getting a run of games I don't believe it will take much to turn our defence around.

I'd have Mina, Godfrey and Branthwaite being our first choice CBs when fit, and use Holgate and Keane as back up until they get their confidence back. Keane isn't a bad defender tbh, his heads just shot at the moment in the same way that Pickford's was 12 months ago. He came back from that.
That's the problem though isn't it?

Okay. But based on that assessment, we only have two "Franks Boys" in the whole squad. He is the only recognised left back we have at the club and I can't believe for a moment that Lampard won't do his best to integrate him into the starting XI.

I agree his start hasn't been the most auspicious but we need to factor in that he's come to us straight off the Ukranian extended winter break and come straight into the team with effectively no pre-season. It will also take him time to adjust to the pace of our league. You only need to look at the problems Cancelo had at City in his first season and he's arguably the best full back in the league now.

Mykolenko is obviously a talented footballer. He has 7 goals and 22 assists in 122 games playing left back for his club, and 21 caps for Ukraine, a very decent International team who reached the knockout stages of the last Euros and are in the play offs for this years world cup having been unbeaten in their group which included France. He is the sort of signing that we should be making, and I believe the sort of signing that Lampard himself would have made, as is Patterson on the other flank. I just wish he was brought in to support Lucas Digne rather than to replace him. Plus he is only 22 I think, and lots of potential to improve under a good manager. Which hopefully Frank turns out to be.

It's early days so I'm not getting carried away and we have to give him time to settle. But I have high hopes for this lad.

I agree with most of your points, and I hope he turns out great. I was concern posting more than anything, given the guy who sanctioned his purchase left after a few days he got here. If I was a player i wouldn't want to see the manager that brought me in go. Same with El Ghazi, I wonder what's going to happen with him. Hoping Frank sees Mykolenko has potential. This sport is uncertain, you just never know what style or type of players a manager is going to go for, unless they're like world class or best in the league. Benitez favoured Townsend and Gray over James for example. Carlo played 4CBs a few times and didn't play Kenny. Frank could go for 3 at the back, and say Townsend on the left in the midfield for example and then he wouldn't need to play a left back.

That said given his age, they're definitely going to give him a few years to see if he can make it. It's not a Davy Klassen situation where he had to go after one season, so there's plenty of time for Mykolenko to get settled.

I still can't get over Digne being sold, would have worked great with Frank Lampard. If it doesn't work out for Digne, we can sign him back for half the price.

Interesting shouts in this short video - training routine with Allan being used as the spare "6" to play through in the middle of it all

Shouts of "use the 6" and "use Allan"

Might already give you an idea of what the plan is

Thought I heard lots of shouts of ‘relax’ ‘enjoy the ball’ ‘don’t panic’. Most of these lads just aren’t comfortable in possession. Good to see some drills using the midfielders showing for the defenders because these defenders need all the help they can get when in possession.

Thought I heard lots of shouts of ‘relax’ ‘enjoy the ball’ ‘don’t panic’. Most of these lads just aren’t comfortable in possession. Good to see some drills using the midfielders showing for the defenders because these defenders need all the help they can get when in possession.
Definitely, it’s also notable that they seem to be being encouraged to be braver with the ball. Consistently passing back to our CBs has been a ongoing problem through several managers now so it looks like that’s being addressed.

Interesting shouts in this short video - training routine with Allan being used as the spare "6" to play through in the middle of it all

Shouts of "use the 6" and "use Allan"

Might already give you an idea of what the plan is

Interesting set up, using Allan and Gomes for both sides, when ever the ball was turned over, looking to play through them, like you say

Status
Not open for further replies.