Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
You actually believe its bigger than the final day games when we had to win / hope for other results to go our way?

I find that to be quite incredible.

Correct. Not even closest to the biggest day in our history, we could lose and we probably still wouldn’t be favorites to be relegated. Chelsea or Leicester were far bigger.

You actually believe its bigger than the final day games when we had to win / hope for other results to go our way?

Biggest day today since Wimbledon 94, could be succeeded by Palace or Arsenal depending what happens. Needing a win at Arsenal to stay up would top them all. Of course if your born after 94 then it is the biggest day.
However, reckon we will be safe by Saturday.

Agreed. Gareth probably wasn't born then though. Currently his biggest memory is a 2009 cup final.

We’re not out of the woods yet. If we draw our two home matches (against two teams who have already beaten us comfortably this season) and we lose at Arsenal we’re down if Burnley win one and draw one and Leeds win two.

This Brentford match is quite literally the biggest match in our club’s illustrious history. We must win.

We as fans must be behind the lads from the first whistle to the last, just as we were against Chelsea.

But Leeds arent going to win 2... cos all their players are either dead or suspended and they are absolute garbage.

One thing that this relegation scrap has brought into sharp focus for me is how the hell did Leicester City find themselves in the same situation as us a few seasons back, only to follow it up with a PL title win the following season.

I cannot fathom how they achieved that. It blows my mind every time I think about it.
I think it was a result of looking how things were done in other sports (cycling?) and going for marginal gains. And it worked. They all managed to play like monsters for a whole season, didn't have any injuries and won the league using about 15 senior players. An achievement for the ages.

….strange looking at the Leeds & Burnley forums as they seem to think this is pretty much between them both.

Leeds fans are very downbeat about their prospects, particularly taking account of injuries and suspensions. Personally, I always think Leeds have something about them as an attacking unit & I wouldn’t be surprised if they got out of this.

Saying that, we just need to find a way to win today regardless of what others do.

Up the Toffees.
This is good but I hope it doesn't make us all too relaxed about things. One set of results can swing things the other way again.

I think it was a result of looking how things were done in other sports (cycling?) and going for marginal gains. And it worked. They all managed to play like monsters for a whole season, didn't have any injuries and won the league using about 15 senior players. An achievement for the ages.
The top teams all conspired to be utter dross that season too. I'd say that was the season that some of the old guard like Utd and Arsenal really did start to fall away from being title contenders. I was really disappointed in Everton that season. All the top sides just didn't turn up and we were still a bit of a threat for the European places but we ended up something like 10th or 11th and just utterly failed to capitalise on their poor season.

Actually I think that was the season I got the feeling it just wasn't going to happen at Everton and that, now we are where we are, it was inevitable we would end up circling the drain. When all the top teams have a nightmare and you can't even mug one of them off then you're done.

the leeds game is similar to our game against chelsea as its last chance saloon.
burnley have thursday and sunday to fall back on.
everton just have to concentrate on themselves 4 points from these 2 home game.

Status
Not open for further replies.