Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Burnley lose on Thursday, they have to beat Newcastle regardless of any point we get*

Their GD means they go above us.

It means IMO, a point is a waste of time for Everton on Thursday.

*Unless Burnley lose like 6 or 7-0.

But if it can be a 3-0 defeat for Burnley on Thursday and if they win 1-0 versus Newcastle that makes their points and GD the same as ours if we draw with Palace.

We beat them here by a greater margin than they beat us up there in our two fixtures (which I think next determines who takes the drop?).

Unlikely, of course.

EDIT:

then again, I'm not factoring in Arsenal whacking us away!

Last edited:

Yeah but so what, how does this affect the points, the ref, the wasted opportunity to score, it doesn't make any difference to our plight, where's Moshiri?
It doesn't but it's more proof that kenwright only wants to look involved when things are going well. The minute it goes tits up he vanishes.

Ya. I also think Leeds won't beat Brentford.
But id rather not have to depend on it obviously
That Brentford game is not as cut and dried as people make out for me, its a coin toss who will come out on top of that, off course hoping Leeds dont, though off course hoping we dont have to even care about that game after Thursday which seems unlikely this been Everton

But if it can be a 3-0 defeat for Burnley on Thursday and if they win 1-0 versus Newcastle that makes their points and GD the same as ours if we draw with Palace.

We beat them here by a greater margin than they beat us up there in our two fixtures (which I think next determines who takes the drop?).

Unlikely, of course.

If we're drawing late on vs Crystal Palace, we absolutely have to go for it.

Remarkable Lampard didn't vs Watford, really.

Not ideal given their pace/their strength on the counter - but here we are.

Another way of looking at the weekend games was that it just neutralised Burnley and Leeds and got rid of another round of games.

Leeds had a better chance of beating Brighton at home than they do Brentford away; and Burnley are now looking like only an unlikely away win at Villa can keep them from needing all 3 points against Newcastle to stay up.

Beating Brighton at home and a very tired Spurs away respectively were spurned chances too.

Why couldn't Leeds have just lost. We'd need a draw in either of the final games. Everything would feel brighter. Why couldn't Burnley have Leeds GD. A draw on Thurs would do it if they lost. It's painful.

I had about 3 hours sleep last night. I've been negative all season and really thought it was all going to be boxed off, finally! I should've known better.

And let's be honest, the unthinkable is no stranger to us.

Everton 0-0 Crystal Palace
Aston Villa 2-0 Burnley

Brentford 1-2 Leeds United
Burnley 1-0 Newcastle United
Arsenal 2-0 Everton

Leeds 38
Burnley 37
Everton 37

None of this is even remotely unthinkable. We're in plausible territory here.
Terrifying

I still personally dont get the stuff that people were happy with a point at watford, it was so wrong been happy with that point to me-After winning at Leicester we should have went all out for the win there, and now if you use that game knowing a win at this point would have had us safe it looks worst (but we can use a few things for that type of situation)

No question about that. Little prospect of the win though.

If Gerrard has any more hopes of 3 points this season it's against Burnley, and they just put them away with ease up there a week ago or so. Burnley will go for the points and leave a lot of space; it wont be like against Spurs with them.

I think there's an outside chance Villa take them apart.

If Leeds or Burnley were in our position they would snap your hand off for it.
Correct.

Yesterday was a big blow. But the dust has settled. It's still in our hands on Thursday and anything can happen.

And yesterday saw minimal damage done by our rivals to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.