Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just watched it back. There were two Everton players in the box and two outside the box, plus the player who crossed it in, upfield.

There were five defenders.

One of those defenders makes a mistake. It gets punished.

But, it shouldn't have ever happened, as it was a blatant foul on Richarlison.

It wasn't exactly the charge of the light brigade, Dave.

The defence were in a perfectly ok position. But then Branthwaite made a really basic mistake. He then compounded the mistake by bundling into Toney from behind and giving him a reason to go down easily. It was nothing to do with the system but just shoddy defending.

He's very young and can improve, but he's been overrated like all our young players. I see lots of naive aspects to his game. Even against Borehamwood and I was really not impressed with how casual he was and how he kept getting into poor positions even though we were under no pressure. He's just not ready for PL football, and unfortunately we had no other options.

He defended very well apart from then, he was just goosed and switched off.

One thing you can't criticise Gordon for is workrate defensively and offensively or you haven't been watching the games. But he's young, and just not that good yet, and he switched off and got punished by a good player.
Sorry mate but he doesn’t like to defend and doesn’t work hard enough in our half of the pitch. Not what we need when we are fighting for our lives.

That's the saving grace.

Palace away from home are pretty good though because of their pace on the counter;

View attachment 165795

7 defeats in 18.

Just got to make as much noise in the ground as possible and hope the lads can conjure something up

At least we still have a chance of staying up on our own steam

We could have been worse off without those vital points against Chelsea and Leicester

I honestly think positivity, determination and grit are what's needed to get us through this now

Why would the Premier League and Sky want us to be relegated? We bring in more revenue for them than Burnley or Leeds. If you think the game is corrupted to that level why do you bother with it? I wouldn't. The reason we are near the bottom of the league is that we are not very good, to put it mildly. The Rondon tackle was a straight red. He admitted it himself in his apology after the game. If it had been in reverse I would have been apopleptic if there was no red card. It was an idiotic challenge and 100% deserved a red card.
The premier league don't particularly want us relegated, but they also don't want it to be a dead rubber on Sunday. That game turned on it's head via blatant corruption yesterday, unless I'm seeing things and that was not a foul on Richarlison in the box.

They're like us in a way where they just can't get themselves over the line when needed.

Good team when at it but that show against Spurs was something we'd do.
Yes, Arsenal are flaky, no doubt about it. It's just that we don't have any margin for error if we are going there looking for something. That's the terrifying thing: not Arsenal.

Correct.

Yesterday was a big blow. But the dust has settled. It's still in our hands on Thursday and anything can happen.

And yesterday saw minimal damage done by our rivals to us.
When we were five points adrift, I would have bitten your hand off for this. We're still in the front seat and have two games left - it's our own fate.

Leeds can't defend at all, Brentford are playing well and Burnley have tough fixtures. Our lack of defenders is the only thing that really worries me.

The defence were in a perfectly ok position. But then Branthwaite made a really basic mistake. He then compounded the mistake by bundling into Toney from behind and giving him a reason to go down easily. It was nothing to do with the system but just shoddy defending.

He's very young and can improve, but he's been overrated like all our young players. I see lots of naive aspects to his game. Even against Borehamwood and I was really not impressed with how casual he was and how he kept getting into poor positions even though we were under no pressure. He's just not ready for PL football, and unfortunately we had no other options.
This, he's definitely not ready but I actually ended up in a conversation with a blue on Twitter (I know) yesterday who claimed Lampard was an idiot for not starting Coleman in a back two with Holgate or playing a back 3 of Kenny-Holgate-Coleman lol

Keane bottling out (being ill) last minute skewed everything and the young lad had a shocker. He isn't ready but he's all we had. He can't play on Thursday so let's hope Keane's fit and they can maybe pump Godfrey full of any painkillers possible to be on the bench but it's highly unlikely

That game was settled in the 18th minute by an awful refereeing decision. Ultimately that's what we have to look at. You don't play 11v10 against an in-form team for 70 minutes, with one CB playing, and come away with a result barring a miracle.

On to Thursday with all we have.

I think we’re looking for favours tbh. Palace are a difficult team to beat away from home and their counterattacking style works perfectly against us.

I’m putting all faith into either Leeds not winning their last game or Burnley hopefully losing two.

Just can’t see more than a point for us but hope I’m wrong.

Ya. I also think Leeds won't beat Brentford.
But id rather not have to depend on it obviously
This is me - I just can’t see Brentford getting beat, but I don’t want to go through a Sunday like that. I do think Burnley win one of their 2 though, so we need to win on Thursday

I feel Everton should change their motto from Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum to Murphy's law which is "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong" lol I think Frank has had some decent approaches to games undermined by rotten luck but you still need to adapt and be prepared for unfortunate events. It's not an easy job.

Status
Not open for further replies.