Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised at how many people seem to like Gilmour. He looks decent on the ball but hasn't exactly ripped it up at Norwich. Also, considering we conceded about 100 goals from corners this season, maybe we should be avoided 5ft7 players. Just a thought.
Hopefully he gets some game time against Ukraine and you will get to see how talented he actually is. As ally McCoist would say he’s a rolls Royce of a player.

Whatever way you look at the squad, you end up needing a load of incomings and outgoings. We’ve been so poor, that there’s literally no downside to a complete overhaul. We need to be more ruthless with contracts and change.

We have so many players who don’t fit any coherent style. The midfield is a complete mess with Gomes, Davies, Delph and VDB all either going or should go this summer.

Delph has shown a lot of quality and has been one of our best players recently, but he’s rarely available and his wages are too high to make it worth him being kept on. Gomes and Davies have lower stock than ever right now, but neither offer enough and should be out on loan if no decent offers come up.

We need to build with Lampard’s attacking style and the right players, and I’m hoping Dele can be central to that if we can get the right players around him.

The biggest question mark is whether DCL or Richarlison stay. Assuming it’s Richarlison who goes, I think we end up with:

View attachment 167038

Players to go:
Frees / loans ending
Rondon - a year left on his deal, but give him away! £50k a week
Tosun £75k a week
Delph £100k a week
Sigurdsson £120k a week
Kenny £20k a week
Donny £100k a week
El Ghazi £30k a week

Loans out
Gomes (out on loan) - high wages, low stock, not good enough - £120k a week, half covered by the loan
Davies (out on loan) - low stock, bad time to sell - £50k a week
Branthwaite (out on loan) - needs game time, loan him out to a promoted team or Norwich as part of a deal for Aarons - £30k a week, not covered by the loan

Sales
Mina (great player but we’ve relied on injury prone players for too long) - £10m - £120k a week
Richarlison - big fee, £70m? £120k a week
Kean - £30m to Juve, apparently being completed a year early in trade for losing the second year’s loan fee - £60k a week

That’s over £100m in sales brought in, and £900k pw in wages saved. I’ve left Townsend out as I think he’ll be kept around after he’s recovered from his injury.

Who do we sign? No idea personally as I’m sure being threatened with relegation until this week has taken us out of any chance of the likes of Kamara.

This would give us a lot of budget to play with and build from scratch though, and we have to make use of the loan market to plug gaps cheaply.

Hey mate, interesting post, I'd say two things though on what you have us needing, one we won't sign a new left back up - we have the young french? lad returning from loan this summer whose gained a lot of experience and game time this season, also don't see us going out and signing a starting RB and having both Patterson and Coleman in a back up role. Way more likely is we see in pre season if Patterson is ready right now - in which case he becomes the starter, if not then Coleman starts and Patterson spells him with the aim of replacing him this season.
Part of the mess we are in is spending multiple times decent fees for the same starting position (cam being the obvious one) Coleman's on decent money and we paid a decent fee for Patterson - we need to trust him to develop him now.

Overall I don't see any activity in the fullback positions (unless Coleman retires - which I see no hint off yet) also think Lampard will trust Cole to really bring on both Mylenko and Patterson with a full pre season working with them.

Also think Richy will stay, and DCL out the two is much more likely to be the one sold (if either are) but think the club will push hard to try free up money by getting rid of the square pegs first and what it can bring in for craftily structures deals (like the Deli one) loans and such as well.

If we are thinking of FPP given the way amortization works - DCL is more valuable to sell than Richy, also Gray due to a insanely low fee is also very attractive to sell as both entail huge FPP gains.

I'm thinking we will target both clubs that Lampard has contacts with this summer for loans, Chelsea and City. Both have the potential of getting us in a player who'd cost 25-30m for nothing, which given our finances makes sense we focus on this. Often seems we loan at the death as an emergency cover thing, think we need to be proactive and make loans a major priority and early on in the market too. Other clubs do this well.

We can completely rebuild this squad this summer but It requires fans to accept the concequences for it.

We lose up to 10 players this summer, we aren't bringing 10 better players in all at the same time. So mid table finish at best is the aim if you want to also improve the squad at such a large extent.

This. Pin that to the wall in Thelwell's office.
I think we have , as fans , to prepare ourselves for a negative spend this summer.

A net spend makes no financial.sense given our perilous financial position and the FFP hole that we have dug for ourselves.

We appear to be working hand in glove with PL to improve our situation so a net spend would be crazy.

As Frank has already alluded to we have to be creative .

The old "who to take from relegated teams"

Burnley:

Cornet - Burnley's bright point of their poor season. 9 goals and 2 assists from the 25 year old debut season is a good return for £13m who also played in the AFCON.

Plays left side attack but he can also cover as left wing back plus rumours of a £17m release clause.

McNeil - Heavily link with Everton under Rafael Benitez (shudder) signing but quotes of £40m laughed at.

22 year left winger who struggled this season but has plenty of experience in the Premier League who has 7 goals and 17 assists in 3 seasons.

Hard working midfield who is a option who would love to link up with DCL given his crossing ability.

Pope - Giant keeper who would be a good option if we lose Pickford.

Has a great command of his area and given our poor quality in set pieces, he would be a handy option.

Watford:

Dennis - Outstanding debut season for this flexible forward with 10 goals and 6 assists who cost £3.6 MILLION(!)

£15-20m would be a fair addition for the 24 year Nigerian who is very versatile in the attack but also works hard defensively too.

Tore us apart at Goodison with 2 assists and a goal. A definite possibility if we lose DCL.

Sarr - Watford's Crown Jewel who has fallen away from the mega bids rejected but still managed 5 goals and also spent time away in the African Nations.

Lighting right winger who would bolster our front line and the emergence of Gordon on the left wing would be a balanced front line with years ahead.

Only downside, you are looking at £30m+ for him.

Norwich:

Aarons - Attacking right back who was valued at £30m last summer but surely would jump ship for £15m. Very highly rated and at only 22 but plenty of experience however the purchase of Patterson would probably not a priority.

Potentially we could convert Patterson or Aarons into a right winger. Plenty of width, pace and energy.

Surprised at how many people seem to like Gilmour. He looks decent on the ball but hasn't exactly ripped it up at Norwich. Also, considering we conceded about 100 goals from corners this season, maybe we should be avoided 5ft7 players. Just a thought.

I think it's difficult for a player like him to look good in a team as poor as Norwich. He's still only 20 though and as prospects go, he's one of the better ones I've seen in recent years. The ball-carrying ability, the way he wants to get passes moving through midfield - it's a quality we are sadly lacking and as long as we don't fill the team with tiny players, we could easily cope with one. Kante is an inch smaller than him, for example.

If there's any sort of prospect of getting him, we should be all over it.

I think it's difficult for a player like him to look good in a team as poor as Norwich. He's still only 20 though and as prospects go, he's one of the better ones I've seen in recent years. The ball-carrying ability, the way he wants to get passes moving through midfield - it's a quality we are sadly lacking and as long as we don't fill the team with tiny players, we could easily cope with one. Kante is an inch smaller than him, for example.

If there's any sort of prospect of getting him, we should be all over it.
I like Gilmour , he was outstanding for Chelsea against us a couple of seasons ago.
However he needs to be in a team that dominates possession and sadly that ain't us.

Hey mate, interesting post, I'd say two things though on what you have us needing, one we won't sign a new left back up - we have the young french? lad returning from loan this summer whose gained a lot of experience and game time this season, also don't see us going out and signing a starting RB and having both Patterson and Coleman in a back up role. Way more likely is we see in pre season if Patterson is ready right now - in which case he becomes the starter, if not then Coleman starts and Patterson spells him with the aim of replacing him this season.
Part of the mess we are in is spending multiple times decent fees for the same starting position (cam being the obvious one) Coleman's on decent money and we paid a decent fee for Patterson - we need to trust him to develop him now.

Overall I don't see any activity in the fullback positions (unless Coleman retires - which I see no hint off yet) also think Lampard will trust Cole to really bring on both Mylenko and Patterson with a full pre season working with them.

Also think Richy will stay, and DCL out the two is much more likely to be the one sold (if either are) but think the club will push hard to try free up money by getting rid of the square pegs first and what it can bring in for craftily structures deals (like the Deli one) loans and such as well.

If we are thinking of FPP given the way amortization works - DCL is more valuable to sell than Richy, also Gray due to a insanely low fee is also very attractive to sell as both entail huge FPP gains.

I'm thinking we will target both clubs that Lampard has contacts with this summer for loans, Chelsea and City. Both have the potential of getting us in a player who'd cost 25-30m for nothing, which given our finances makes sense we focus on this. Often seems we loan at the death as an emergency cover thing, think we need to be proactive and make loans a major priority and early on in the market too. Other clubs do this well.

I don't think Nkounkou will be here next year. He had a very difficult season on loan playing at a pretty poor standard.

We need to stop buying from relegated teams unless they’re genuinely decent.
It’s quite easy for baby average players to stand out in appalling teams. Goalkeepers (Pickford) can show their shot stopping skills in particular, and someone like Gueye, who was behind only Kante in key metrics for his position despite playing for a rancid Villa team is an understandable signing but signing a yard dog because he’s not quite as crap as the others and “free” is not the model we should be following.

If there’s anyone from Burnley I’d like us to go for it’d be that Collins lad; young, very energetic and looks like he has the raw materials to be decent. Not a fan of McNeil purely because I CBA with small players.

I think we have , as fans , to prepare ourselves for a negative spend this summer.

A net spend makes no financial.sense given our perilous financial position and the FFP hole that we have dug for ourselves.

We appear to be working hand in glove with PL to improve our situation so a net spend would be crazy.

It isn't quite as simple as that - presumably we have to make sure we keep to an accounting profit on the accounts this year. That being case, it's the profit we make on the players we sell which is the important thing.

V basic example - DCL is almost pure profit on the accounts when we sell him, so if we sold him for £50m, we book a profit on him of £50m in the accounts. If we buy a striker to replace him for £50m on a five year contract, we book £10m of that on the accounts for this year, but have to subsequently do that for each of the next 4 years too.

In crude terms there, we've sold a player for £50m, bought a replacement for £50m but made £40m profit on the books this year. There will be other associated costs which take that figure down, but you get my point.

"Net spend" is meaningless in the position we are in. It's all about the player trading profits we could make.

In that context you look at the players we could sell who would realise healthy trading profits based on their current book values:

Pickford - Approx £7m book value
Holgate - Negligible book value
Davies - Zero book value
Gordon - zero book value (but don't sell him)
Gray - Approx £1m book value
Richarlison - No more than £16m book value
DCL - Negligible book value

I like Gilmour , he was outstanding for Chelsea against us a couple of seasons ago.
However he needs to be in a team that dominates possession and sadly that ain't us.
Even though I’m not a fan of Gilmour per se, I’ve found myself making this argument a couple of times:

If you WANT to be a side that dominates possession you need these signings. There’s a good chance Lampard tried to completely reinvent this squad and its way of playing, and the place to start when doing that is midfield, with a completely different profile of player than we currently have.

It isn't, but I think it's a fair bet that Lampard wants to change our style so we see a lot more of it

The old "who to take from relegated teams"

Burnley:

Cornet - Burnley's bright point of their poor season. 9 goals and 2 assists from the 25 year old debut season is a good return for £13m who also played in the AFCON.

Plays left side attack but he can also cover as left wing back plus rumours of a £17m release clause.

McNeil - Heavily link with Everton under Rafael Benitez (shudder) signing but quotes of £40m laughed at.

22 year left winger who struggled this season but has plenty of experience in the Premier League who has 7 goals and 17 assists in 3 seasons.

Hard working midfield who is a option who would love to link up with DCL given his crossing ability.

Pope - Giant keeper who would be a good option if we lose Pickford.

Has a great command of his area and given our poor quality in set pieces, he would be a handy option.

Watford:

Dennis - Outstanding debut season for this flexible forward with 10 goals and 6 assists who cost £3.6 MILLION(!)

£15-20m would be a fair addition for the 24 year Nigerian who is very versatile in the attack but also works hard defensively too.

Tore us apart at Goodison with 2 assists and a goal. A definite possibility if we lose DCL.

Sarr - Watford's Crown Jewel who has fallen away from the mega bids rejected but still managed 5 goals and also spent time away in the African Nations.

Lighting right winger who would bolster our front line and the emergence of Gordon on the left wing would be a balanced front line with years ahead.

Only downside, you are looking at £30m+ for him.

Norwich:

Aarons - Attacking right back who was valued at £30m last summer but surely would jump ship for £15m. Very highly rated and at only 22 but plenty of experience however the purchase of Patterson would probably not a priority.

Potentially we could convert Patterson or Aarons into a right winger. Plenty of width, pace and energy.

Why are people still linking us with Max Aarons. He is nowhere near as good as people think, and not even as good as Byram

And the McNeil thing is just a bit daft as well. They would want 25m for an attacking wide player who can't score goals. We have enough players like that as it is.

I'm guessing we will try to structure deals in order to play the way FPP works - Deli was clearly a case of this, loans with guaranteed buy clauses are another way to circumnavigate it (Kean to Juve being a two year loan with a purchase after being a case of how Juve got around FPP problems)

Can also heavily back load deals so the majority of the fee comes in the 3/4th year after buying - most buys aren't all up front anyway but over a period of the contract often. We have to look at the last season was basically a very strong one in terms of FPP - the thing killing us is the prior seasons of huge spending which each year one is removed from FPP calculations by the current one.

Deals like Delefous one where clever too - basically a reduced fee with buy back option.

We basically need a combination of the above strategies over this and next season after which we will effectively be back to the situation we where in when Moshiri took over and able to then have much more freedom - but hopefully with some hard earned lessons learned

Status
Not open for further replies.