2021/22 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
June 2024.

He'll either extend or leave this summer.

Probably the latter.
Cheers for that. Suppose it depends on what the club have said to him but a contract is a contract and if we shifted others should we force him to stay? I reckon his enthusiasm and overall effort make him the one player we should go all out to keep.

Cheers for that. Suppose it depends on what the club have said to him but a contract is a contract and if we shifted others should we force him to stay? I reckon his enthusiasm and overall effort make him the one player we should go all out to keep.
If we force him to stay we will reduce his transfer value (he will be cheaper for buyers with one year left on his contract than two). The question then is, by how much? If that reduction exceeds what keeping him would mean in financial terms (higher league position/avoid relegation/qualify for Europe/nothing), then it would be a mistake. So that's the calculation that must be made - and it assumes he would play just as willingly if kept against his will as he would before (which, even for a player like Richarlison, is fanciful).

I would certainly offer him an extension on attractive terms, but I think a refusal should lead to a departure. Cold hard logic has to kick in now.

If we force him to stay we will reduce his transfer value (he will be cheaper for buyers with one year left on his contract than two). The question then is, by how much? If that reduction exceeds what keeping him would mean in financial terms (higher league position/avoid relegation/qualify for Europe/nothing), then it would be a mistake. So that's the calculation that must be made - and it assumes he would play just as willingly if kept against his will as he would before (which, even for a player like Richarlison, is fanciful).

I would certainly offer him an extension on attractive terms, but I think a refusal should lead to a departure. Cold hard logic has to kick in now.
Agreed. I wasn't saying that was the definite way to go but its a possible way forward. I do think that richarlison though would play exactly the same way as he does now as he seems like that kind of character. It's all guess work but first step as you say is offer him an extension that significantly ups his salary and then if he's not interested see how much we would get for him. If its significant (£70/80m) then probably take the cash but if its more like the fee we paid for him then I'd be keeping him.

The only way he'd sign an extension would be a cast iron release clause should the club fail to qualify for Europe.

However, I suspect he's already gone.

Which is what I said :oops:

He'll either extend or leave in the summer.
Probably the latter.

If we need to be pedantic in essence what implied was "yes but, but no but".

However, if we apply the 2 player for each position reckon he is already gone hence why Gray and Dele have been recruited. With Gordon all so being able to play on left. So for me he is gone and been gone for some time but happily be laughed at it he extends with us.

However, if we apply the 2 player for each position reckon he is already gone hence why Gray and Dele have been recruited. With Gordon all so being able to play on left. So for me he is gone and been gone for some time but happily be laughed at it he extends with us.
I'm the same, surprised he stayed as long as he has.

Shame we basically wasted his time here.

Good Times, they weren't.

We recruited Gray and Dele to replace Richie? I hope not, we’re in huge trouble if it is. Those two and Gordon combined are half the player of Richie.

Sell the good players, replace with poorer less effective players and wonder why we get worse.

I'm the same, surprised he stayed as long as he has.

Shame we basically wasted his time here.

Good Times, they weren't.

I don't think we wasted his time at all
1. He was playing premier league football
2. He broke into the Brazil national team playing with us(which is arguably his biggest dream)
3. Won an Olympic Gold due to permissions from the club
4. Developed a strong affinity with the club which he is clearly thinking about on his downtime(can't buy that kind of thing)
5. If he does get a bigger move it is as a result of playing with us, and if he doesn't he's loved where he is
Not a bad way to spend your time as a 20something year old is it?! Nothing wasted, very much lived

Would be made up if we can get an extension for him - they need to try at least.

Unfortunately, it may just be financial reality that he has to go and we refactor the team for a mid-table finish to stabilise.

We'd have to be very lucky to replace him with a player from another league - we aren't typically that lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.